Ask a question

No registration required

Question [Q] Help walk-through post root/unlocked bootloader process

OP water-

25th June 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
My apologies if this has been covered. I've successfully rooted and unlocked the bootloader. I've tried my best to do a lot of reading including going through item by item in the xda wiki glossary but I'm still a little confused/want clarification before I actually do anything with my phone.

My goals are:
1) To create a full .img backup of my current system so I can always go back to it if needed/worst case scenario

2) Create a list of all my installed apps. Backup a few select apps that contain data within them that does not get backed up in the cloud or appear in a copyable source anywhere when i browse the phone directories (an app called Pattrn specifically that stores favorited background images..)

3) wipe/clear the my current incarnation of kitkat and re-install it 'fresh' (possibly without the bloat?), then reload desired apps.

4) create a backup .img of this new instance.
-----------------

I'm generally pretty quick to learn technical content but I've honestly tried to fully grok the steps for the last two weeks and haven't gotten there/understand enough to be confident to do what I think I need to do.

can take this to PM if anyone has some patience to work with me. Gladly donate to any app you make or paypal a few bucks if you can help walk me through this..

My understanding is that I need to get TWRP or CWM installed in order to get a custom recovery (as opposed to a stock recovery process)---which will allow me to do step 3. But even getting TWRP going I'm confused..

Thanks
25th June 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 61

224 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by water-

My apologies if this has been covered. I've successfully rooted and unlocked the bootloader. I've tried my best to do a lot of reading including going through item by item in the xda wiki glossary but I'm still a little confused/want clarification before I actually do anything with my phone.

My understanding is that I need to get TWRP or CWM installed in order to get a custom recovery (as opposed to a stock recovery process)---which will allow me to do step 3. But even getting TWRP going I'm confused..

Thanks

can't help with everything..but with custom recovery..the easiest way is download flashify from play store and flash recovery image with itfrom here http://androidhosting.org/Devs/Dhacker29/msm8960/ you have a Razr M on kitkat use this one http://androidhosting.org/Devs/Dhack...R_M-KITKAT.img

copy it to sdcard or internal storage...open flashify and select recovery image then choose the downloaded file..flash it and restart
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy4android For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 58

239 posts
More
Quote:

My goals are:
1) To create a full .img backup of my current system so I can always go back to it if needed/worst case scenario

2) Create a list of all my installed apps. Backup a few select apps that contain data within them that does not get backed up in the cloud or appear in a copyable source anywhere when i browse the phone directories (an app called Pattrn specifically that stores favorited background images..)

3) wipe/clear the my current incarnation of kitkat and re-install it 'fresh' (possibly without the bloat?), then reload desired apps.

4) create a backup .img of this new instance.
-----------------

I'm generally pretty quick to learn technical content but I've honestly tried to fully grok the steps for the last two weeks and haven't gotten there/understand enough to be confident to do what I think I need to do.

can take this to PM if anyone has some patience to work with me. Gladly donate to any app you make or paypal a few bucks if you can help walk me through this..

Thanks

Well, with TWRP, there is an option to back up your current system, data, and boot image.

So, let's say you make a backup your stock kitkat rom, you can wipe that, install a compatible rom. And if that fails or you do not like it, you can boot back into TWRP and restore the backup you made with the restore option.

I'm not too sure what you are asking about your apps, but with titanium backup, you can backup any app + their current data. For example, lets say you backup your favorite browser and it has everything just the way you want it, you can back it up with titanium backup, flash your rom, and restore it with titanium backup.

Not sure if that was what you were asking with #2, but if you have another question, ask away. I'm on a road trip so I have plenty of time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to poppers162 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4android

can't help with everything..but with custom recovery..the easiest way is download flashify from play store and flash recovery image with itfrom here [link] you have a Razr M on kitkat use this one.. [link]

copy it to sdcard or internal storage...open flashify and select recovery image then choose the downloaded file..flash it and restart

thank you for your fast response, I appreciate it. I can do this--can you just clarify for me to define specifically what 'custom recovery' means?
I might be over-thinking it but I'm still trying to actually understand what custom recovery means-I assume it is in contrast to the current recovery which is still whatever shipped with the phone from verizon/motorola? So the above .img is a kitkat-base recovery (possibly without verizon bloat?)

Thanks
25th June 2014, 08:11 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppers162

Well, with TWRP, there is an option to back up your current system, data, and boot image.

So, let's say you make a backup your stock kitkat rom, you can wipe that, install a compatible rom. And if that fails or you do not like it, you can boot back into TWRP and restore the backup you made with the restore option.

I'm not too sure what you are asking about your apps, but with titanium backup, you can backup any app + their current data. For example, lets say you backup your favorite browser and it has everything just the way you want it, you can back it up with titanium backup, flash your rom, and restore it with titanium backup.

Not sure if that was what you were asking with #2, but if you have another question, ask away. I'm on a road trip so I have plenty of time.

Thank you too for your response!
So yes, I would like to use TWRP for that--make a backup of my current stock rom in all aspects, then start with a fresh instance. Does doing the step the above poster linked basically get TWRP installed as a custom recovery---which then gives me the options to create those backups in the bootloader menu? again sorry for my confusion, I've read the guides and how-to but I'm getting tripped up on some of the lingo/definitions.

On #2 Yes, that is basically what I wanted--I've got titanium backup installed and have backed up a few of these programs to my SD card already. Only have a handful of programs that have any customization that I care to retain.
25th June 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #6  

224 posts
More
Quote:

thank you for your fast response, I appreciate it. I can do this--can you just clarify for me to define specifically what 'custom recovery' means?
I might be over-thinking it but I'm still trying to actually understand what custom recovery means-I assume it is in contrast to the current recovery which is still whatever shipped with the phone from verizon/motorola? So the above .img is a kitkat-base recovery (possibly without verizon bloat?)

Thanks

you can do diff things like poppers162 mentioned you can backup ur entire rom with it...its very easy to flash nd very user friendly to navigate..no the above is a recovery img...you can boot ur phone into it once you flash it..then from there you can backup ur stock rom..and install/flash custom roms with bloat removed..

or another option is just freeze the apps you don't want with titanium backup..its almost as effective as uninstalling
Last edited by crazy4android; 25th June 2014 at 08:19 PM.
25th June 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Okay.. I've got TWRP going and creating a backup of my current system onto an external SD card. .. progress.

I've already backed up everything I desired in titanium.

Next up doing a 'clean' start in kitkat--or a slightly improved version. I realize at this point maybe things become more subjective to people's preferences.. I'm not looking to go to CM. I found some stock or a very-nearly-stock version of kitkat I can now 'start' fresh with--the google play edition? or do I need to download "Android 4.4.2 Blur_Version.183.46.10.XT907.Verizon.en.US"? I guess I need some more help at this point. Verizon is my carrier..

Thanks--do appreciate the help!
Last edited by water-; 25th June 2014 at 10:35 PM.
25th June 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #8  

224 posts
More
Quote:

Okay.. I've got TWRP going and creating a backup of my current system onto an external SD card. .. progress.

Next up doing a 'clean' start in kitkat--or a slightly improved version. I realize at this point maybe things become more subjective to people's preferences.. I'm not looking to go to CM. I found some stock or a very-nearly-stock version of kitkat I can now 'start' fresh with--the google play edition? or do I need to download "Android 4.4.2 Blur_Version.183.46.10.XT907.Verizon.en.US"? I guess I need some more help at this point. Verizon is my carrier..

Android 4.4.2 Blur_Version.183.46.10.XT907.Verizon.en.US is complete stock with all the verison bloatware...as for the google play edition..i don't know if theres a flashable rom..the one in the Droid RAZR M Android Development is for fastboot i think..not sure and i myself havent looked into how to fastboot a fxz
26th June 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 58

239 posts
More
Quote:

There's only a handful of roms compatible with the kitkat 3.4 kernel. I, personally, love cm11 test build. It's been going great. I would give it a try. If you don't like it, you have your backup!

26th June 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 254

680 posts
Kitstalk ran pretty smoothly minus the speaker phone issues I like it but I've always been a fan of beanstalk... that was a few days ago when I flashed it so it may be fixed now I haven't checked on it...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by ezknives; 26th June 2014 at 08:02 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread