No registration required

[Q] Help with phone crashing after removing Soft Keys

OP ajkran2

17th August 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello,

A while ago I modded my Razr M to remove the soft keys. I did this by doing both steps 1 & 2 described in this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2045672 thread. My phone will randomly reboot to boot animation, and from there it will either load back up normally or it will sometimes get stuck and stop and loop at the screen with the glowing red light (from the stock boot animation) without booting; when it does this, it requires a hard reset. It will most likely crash if left idle for a few hours (every night when I sleep), and usually loop at the same screen when it crashes. From my observation, I believe that the booting will only fail and loop if the phone is plugged in to the charger.. not sure what this entails.

Aside from the crashing, my phone has been a lot laggier; especially when using apps. Oftentimes when running an app the screen will freeze and distort. Could this be caused by what I modded? Could I recover my phone back to its previous state (stock, rooted, with soft keys), without losing my data and apps?

Thanks!
17th August 2014, 02:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 254

680 posts
Are you on jelly bean? Have you unlocked your boot loader yet? Normally when I go to modify my system apks n what not I copy said file place it somewhere else make my mods then rename the original to .bak place the moded one in set permissions n what not... That way if anything goes bad I can delete the moded one and change the og back and be good to go just a suggestion for the future... Any who... Look into house of moto i believe you can flash stock without wiping data... the issues could be from the modifications you made... If you are still on jelly bean and locked you should consider flashing 4.4.2 and unlocking the bl....

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th August 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezknives

Are you on jelly bean? Have you unlocked your boot loader yet? Normally when I go to modify my system apks n what not I copy said file place it somewhere else make my mods then rename the original to .bak place the moded one in set permissions n what not... That way if anything goes bad I can delete the moded one and change the og back and be good to go just a suggestion for the future... Any who... Look into house of moto i believe you can flash stock without wiping data... the issues could be from the modifications you made... If you are still on jelly bean and locked you should consider flashing 4.4.2 and unlocking the bl....

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I am still on jelly bean. I downloaded safestrap, but have not unlocked my boot loader. I could not find a good ROM to flash and was a bit confused on the process. I might have made a .bak of the original file.. I'll check. What is house of moto? I was thinking of flashing to 4.4.2 but was unsure if I could do it without removing my modifications. Thanks for the help
18th August 2014, 03:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 254

680 posts
Yes it will remove your mods unfortunately... read up on house of moto here but definitely make the leap to 4.4.2 so you can unlock that boot loader... I had always used safestrap in the past on my D4 and og RAZR but twrp is just like it, easier (IMO), and you won't lose that extra space used for your rom...

We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to ezknives For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread