What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more

New Cyanogen Partnerships Bring Privacy Concerns

New Privacy concerns have emerged regarding Cyanogen’s latest announcements, … more

PSA: Google Play Services Wakelock Affects Many 5.x ROMs

Wakelocks are the bane of the battery conscious, and this wakelock bug has been … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Question [Q] Unlock Bootloader and downgrade to JB

29th July 2014, 05:49 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I would really like some clarification on unlocking the bootloader and downgrading to JB to make sure that I don't mess anything up as this phone is pretty much my only way of accessing the internet and most people.

I want to downgrade for several reasons, the first one being that I was using FoxFi for the wifi hotspot mode so my family could get online and surf the web, then one day my phone decided that it wanted to be on KitKat and I couldn't stop it. Once that happened I noticed I could no longer use Wifi Hotspot mode, which was a bummer, but I just started placing my unlimited data sim card into the SCH-LC11 Jetpack we no longer used and I was back in business with the hotspot when I needed it even with the hassle of switching out the sim card. Eventually my sim card kinda got worn out and stopped working so I had to get it replaced, now if I place the new sim card in the Jetpack it no longer works and I have no idea why it doesn't since it works fine in my phone.

So now I want to downgrade to have the wifi hotspot mode back, and because my phone seems to be slower and just all around sluggish with this KitKat update.

I'm not sure where to begin though, what do I need to do to unlock the bootloader? Will unlocking it erase everything on the phone? How do I downgrade to JB in the easiest, noob friendly way possible? Can I get rid of the OTA pop up that constantly tries to update to KitKat after I downgrade? I just don't want any surprises before attempting something that might make my phone a brick.

Sorry for the wall of text. D:

29th July 2014, 07:51 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 256

680 posts
First you'll need to root using towelroot just download install and run the app on your device (and by the way you can enable WiFi tether on KitKat I use stock kk following that guide with unlimited data using the stock mobile hotspot app... )Any who then unlock your boot loader just download install and run the app directly on your device... Then the downgrade... There is another method of downgrading here but I believe the first way would be better for you... As far as if it will wipe your data the unlock and root won't as far as the downgrade I don't really know ask/read that XDA downgrade how to... Hope this helps...

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th July 2014, 11:33 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

51 posts
More
Down grading WILL erase everything on your INTERNAL memory. So if you haven't done so already, get an external micro sd card and move important files onto it. To keep call and text logs I use a free app from the play store called My Backup Root. It will back up apps and pictures too. But again,... Make sure you save it all too the external sd card (external 1) . you can also save things into your computer (if you have one) or goggle drive app.

Now your ready for the downgrade.

The only way that I am familiar with, is using and running a free program from a PC, it's called RSD Lite.

Then you will need to download onto the PC the Droid RAZR M XT907 Jelly Bean Firmware from the droid developers SBF website. The file is known as an FXZ File or SBF FILE.

Next, and probably the most important step,.. You might have to edit the FXZ file if your getting getvar errors. I would provide a link but I don't have the link handy, sorry. You can find the steps required to perform the edit on Google, I did.

Finally with your phone on 100% battery (trust me on this) place your phone into AP Fastboot mode, connect it to your PC (with latest Motorola device drivers already installed), and run your edited FXZ file through RSD Lite.

It is best to use your original factory USB cable that came with the phone if you still have it.

Do NOT disconnect the phone or turn off the PC while it's running the downgrade. It will brick the device.

Everything I just described can be found in easy step by step video or written instruction by doing a Google search.

I hope this helped. Good luck. I was able to down grade all the way back to the original ICS 4.0.4 Motorola firmware one of my RAZR Ms.
Last edited by SARM1084; 29th July 2014 at 11:38 AM.
29th July 2014, 07:12 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezknives

First you'll need to root using towelroot just download install and run the app on your device (and by the way you can enable WiFi tether on KitKat I use stock kk following that guide with unlimited data using the stock mobile hotspot app... )Any who then unlock your boot loader just download install and run the app directly on your device... Then the downgrade... There is another method of downgrading here but I believe the first way would be better for you... As far as if it will wipe your data the unlock and root won't as far as the downgrade I don't really know ask/read that XDA downgrade how to... Hope this helps...

I forgot to mention that my phone is rooted, and that I already tried to do the enable wifi tether on KitKat. It softbricked my phone and it wouldn't boot further than the Motorola M logo. I booted into AP Fastboot and ended up installing the KitKat update with RSD lite to get it back working. I don't know why enabling wifi tether didn't work, but I'm a little afraid of trying it again lol

Thank you both for your replies. Is that OTA pop up going to continue to appear every few hours or will it be gone?
29th July 2014, 07:50 PM |#5  

680 posts
If it does there's an apk/s you can freeze or rename to .bak... It may be discussed in the downgrade thread... Or search for the name of them on here or Google... That's odd you soft bricked using that method there's also a xposed module to... But that's neither here nor there as your wanting to downgrade...

29th July 2014, 08:01 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
I remember looking for ways to stop the OTA pop up back when I was on JB, but most of it didn't seem to work and it updated anyway. However, I think I ended up losing root so my options were limited and I still had a locked bootloader of course, so maybe this time it will be different.

Again, thanks for all your replies and help.

Update: I got it unlocked, and downgraded. No hiccups or any troubles. I just need to figure out how to get root again lol thanks for all your help!!
Last edited by KillerShamrocks; 29th July 2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Update
29th July 2014, 09:31 PM |#7  

680 posts
Try the towelroot... I had it work on the .3 jb version.. Or fastboot twrp and flash SuperSU zip

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread