Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can an ota zip be flashed via twrp or cwm?

OP thewraith420

2nd July 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 36

236 posts
Ok so basically my question is can twrp or cwm flash an ota update.zip? I'd like to remove a couple things from the kk ota. Zip and flash via cwm or twrp If possible....

Tapatalk'n it from my XT907 (MoKee 4.4.4) on Page Plus Cellular.
2nd July 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420

Ok so basically my question is can twrp or cwm flash an ota update.zip? I'd like to remove a couple things from the kk ota. Zip and flash via cwm or twrp If possible....

As long as you have root and an unlocked bootloader, everything should be fine. Since you're on KitKat, root your phone with towelroot and unlock your device with motopocalypse.

Edit: oops! I though you were talking about something else (I need to get some sleep.) Custom recoveries does not flash ota updates. Are you trying to remove bloatware?
Last edited by ozeyguy; 2nd July 2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: adding more info
2nd July 2014, 11:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 36

236 posts
Nah I was just looking at the zip and noticed the radio from the zip used a series of patches to bring the modem partition up to date and I wanted to try and apply it over my working ics radio on Page Plus in hopes it could stick the flash. Tz and gpt wouldn't be able to flash anyway though since they can't be downgraded I was going to remove them from the zip. This would make the signature mismatch so I hoped twrp or cwm could flash it

Last edited by thewraith420; 2nd July 2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: [IMG][/IMG]
2nd July 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 85

206 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420

Nah I was just looking at the zip and noticed the radio from the zip used a series of patches to bring the modem partition up to date and I wanted to try and apply it over my working ics radio on Page Plus in hopes it could stick the flash. Tz and gpt wouldn't be able to flash anyway though since they can't be downgraded I was going to remove them from the zip. This would make the signature mismatch so I hoped twrp or cwm could flash it

Probably the best bet would be to modify the FXZ xml file to only include what you would like to flash, but this has potential to go bad fast.

EDIT: You could reference these files to see how to edit them... but I probably wouldn't flash these files, because I don't know if they are compatible with xt907. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2022296
Last edited by xKroniK13x; 2nd July 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread