Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,790 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can an ota zip be flashed via twrp or cwm?

Tip us?

thewraith420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Can an ota zip be flashed via twrp or cwm?

Ok so basically my question is can twrp or cwm flash an ota update.zip? I'd like to remove a couple things from the kk ota. Zip and flash via cwm or twrp If possible....

Tapatalk'n it from my XT907 (MoKee 4.4.4) on Page Plus Cellular.

ozeyguy
Old
(Last edited by ozeyguy; 2nd July 2014 at 08:54 AM.) Reason: adding more info
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
Ok so basically my question is can twrp or cwm flash an ota update.zip? I'd like to remove a couple things from the kk ota. Zip and flash via cwm or twrp If possible....

As long as you have root and an unlocked bootloader, everything should be fine. Since you're on KitKat, root your phone with towelroot and unlock your device with motopocalypse.

Edit: oops! I though you were talking about something else (I need to get some sleep.) Custom recoveries does not flash ota updates. Are you trying to remove bloatware?

thewraith420
Old
(Last edited by thewraith420; 2nd July 2014 at 11:02 AM.) Reason: [IMG][/IMG]
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Nah I was just looking at the zip and noticed the radio from the zip used a series of patches to bring the modem partition up to date and I wanted to try and apply it over my working ics radio on Page Plus in hopes it could stick the flash. Tz and gpt wouldn't be able to flash anyway though since they can't be downgraded I was going to remove them from the zip. This would make the signature mismatch so I hoped twrp or cwm could flash it

xKroniK13x
Old
(Last edited by xKroniK13x; 2nd July 2014 at 03:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
Nah I was just looking at the zip and noticed the radio from the zip used a series of patches to bring the modem partition up to date and I wanted to try and apply it over my working ics radio on Page Plus in hopes it could stick the flash. Tz and gpt wouldn't be able to flash anyway though since they can't be downgraded I was going to remove them from the zip. This would make the signature mismatch so I hoped twrp or cwm could flash it

Probably the best bet would be to modify the FXZ xml file to only include what you would like to flash, but this has potential to go bad fast.

EDIT: You could reference these files to see how to edit them... but I probably wouldn't flash these files, because I don't know if they are compatible with xt907. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2022296
Please say thanks if a post helps you out.
"There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated." -NOFX

Devices
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Cyanogenmod Nightlies 4.4.4
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3