OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 275

271 posts
This is the last release of mattlgroff's DROID RAZR Utility allowing you to:

a. Flash a clean stock ROM to your phone while wiping data,
b. Flash a clean stock ROM to your phone while preserving data,
c. Root your stock ROM using the RAZR Blade root exploit by Dan Rosenberg, and
d. Install SafeStrap by Hashcode.

All credit goes to these original developers, all I have done... explanation expanded for those who have asked:
We all rely on the utility turned out by mattlgroff (long may he tinker!) and in no way did I want to look like I wanted to grab fame from someone else's work, but I recognized a couple of things that needed doing:

1. When Matt Groff left the building at RAZR Resort for greener phone pastures, the current official software for our XT912 was 98.72.16, the Jellybean OTA. In the spring of 2014, Verizon released a 5.79 MB OTA dubbed 98.72.165 which patched many system files and updated the radio files on our phones. Rumors ran rampant over whether this would make our phones unrootable and whether it was even necessary. One of the benefits included new network configuration to accommodate Verizon's plans for future system upgrades. I incorporated this firmware in Matt's Utility.

2. At the same time, the current version of Hashcode's SafeStrap utility, 3.11, was included in the utility by Matt. I replaced it with version 3.73, the now-current version.

3. Some of the early reports that the new release of Jellybean was unrootable were fueled by an intermittent failure of Dan Rosenberg's 'RAZR Blade' root exploit to successfully root 98.72.165. This was caused by the phone not remounting some partitions quickly enough during the process. I addressed this issue as well.

Under an agreement that neither Matt nor any of the other mentioned developers were pestered with issues related to my re-release of this utility, he gave me his blessing and even hosted the file on his Batakang server.

There you have it: instead of using the original utility, updating and fighting to preserve/get root, finding an updated SafeStrap; it is once again as easy as it was always supposed to be...

If you have any problems with my updated version of this utility, PLEASE do not pester these developers! They have all moved on from supporting this platform. Post in this thread, and I or someone else will try to help.

Thank you, Matt Groff, for this excellent utility, and for permission to redistribute your work!

Download links:

Android File Host

Batakang

MD5: 9d85b93edc2a3c693574554aa7b05470

-Brian

Sent from my continually born again RAZR MAXX!
Last edited by brkahughes; 15th September 2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Expanded description
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to brkahughes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

271 posts
Last edited by brkahughes; 31st August 2014 at 04:43 AM.
31st August 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

271 posts
Thanks all over the place and no posts, must be I didn't break anything!

- Brian
31st August 2014, 05:04 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 48

122 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkahughes

Thanks all over the place and no posts, must be I didn't break anything!

- Brian

Not yet
31st August 2014, 06:36 AM   |  #5  
Flag Danbury, CT
Thanks Meter: 484

589 posts
More
Well done sir. Was hoping someone would do this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeDHS07 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

50 posts
Why XT910 didn't get same love? I think all XT910 users will be very happy if they get the same utility

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium
31st August 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #7  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 342

913 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benyegh

Why XT910 didn't get same love? I think all XT910 users will be very happy if they get the same utility

It exists for our phones,also by @mattlgroff but only for Gingerbread...

It would be nice if someone would have done that for JB :thumbup:

Sent from my Razr XT910
1st September 2014, 02:44 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benyegh

I'm sorry, it's not neglect, just impractical. While the rsd routines and rooting should be practical, and there's a version of SafeStrap for the xt910; the last time I looked, there were about fifty different county/region/carrier specific Jellybean sbf files for the xt910.

The xt912 has only one, for Verizon USA.

- Brian
"It's not exactly rocket science! ...Well, actually it is." - Jimmy Neutron

1st September 2014, 02:48 AM   |  #9  
Flag Accra
Thanks Meter: 154

692 posts
More
Nice work. But really wish u guys could come up with a way to revert or downgrade to ics. Its being only two weeks since i upgraded to jb and i already hate the update.

Ooooh How i miss ics, with its smoothness, battery life etc unlike jb which causes the phone to heat up, bad battery, lags....

uhhh i hate this update. Wish i could downgrade!!
1st September 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyasamoah

Nice work. But really wish u guys could come up with a way to revert or downgrade to ics. Its being only two weeks since i upgraded to jb and i already hate the update.

Ooooh How i miss ics, with its smoothness, battery life etc unlike jb which causes the phone to heat up, bad battery, lags....

uhhh i hate this update. Wish i could downgrade!!

My sympathies, not everyone likes the same thing. Welcome to the world of locked bootloaders, where the manufacturer still owns your phone after you bought it!

I would suggest rooting your phone, installing a custom recovery (SafeStrap or BMM) , and trying a KitKat ROM. You might just find the speed and fluidity you miss, along with a while lot more... I recommend checking the CM11 thread, there's a lot of information there.

It sounds like you already know this, but don't be tempted to try ANY method to downgrade your phone! It's one of the few guaranteed ways to turn it into a paperweight.

Give me a thanks if I've helped you, I can't feel a high-five!
- Brian
"It's not exactly rocket science! ...Well, actually it is." - Jimmy Neutron

Last edited by brkahughes; 1st September 2014 at 03:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to brkahughes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread