DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean UPDATED

Search This thread
It's an XT912. Verizon

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 AM ----------

I would suppose that is the right method but the thing is the utility doesn't flash the Stock ROM (neither option 1 nor 2) it gives out a "preflash validation failed" message while writing recovery and "preinstall.img" and then when it completes and says Mobile will reboot after Radio install the screen goes black "M" motorola icon and then poof... Back to fastboot with flash failed message and all.

""
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.77
eMMC Info: Size 16G
To return to normal mode - first press power key to power down
Device is LOCKED, Status Code:0
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode: USB Connected
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB(CG: system, status: 0X0056)
Invalid CG OTV(CG: system)""

crackerjack1957

Nov 1, 2012
Only 3 things left, cable (need to be using 1 that came with or data cable), computer (have you ever flashed with this cp before), & phone (bricked beyond repair).

Bad:
Computers running win8 & 8.1
Usb3 ports

Good:
Win7, usb2 & Rsd-lite 5.7 have solved issues.
WinXP with latest Motorola Drivers

Last edited:
Reactions: brkahughes

ax562

Aug 8, 2012
For people having problems in window 8/8.1. Righ click all .exe files in RAZR utility directory and choose properties. In compatibility tab choos e windows 7 and run as admin. I couldn't get root and it froze until I did this.gluck

Reactions: brkahughes

brkahughes

Jun 2, 2009
I apologize for my absence, and thank those who have stepped in to help! I have been working on a live-CD version to eliminate windows problems, but my wife has been in and out of the hospital; now last week I was diagnosed with a bladder mass. This is the big "C's" second attempt on me, I beat a brain tumor almost five years ago: so I expect to be back to hacking as soon as this blows over. :)

- Brian
"Whatever happens... happens." -Spike Spiegel

Reactions: Huzaifa_Aziz

neoramasay

Dec 13, 2010
Tampa
Was just curious, the Spring 2014 OTA - If you've been running a custom ROM since then and did not get that OTA, would your device be affected in any way?

Also, I forget (as my laptop that had the original version of mattlgroff's util on it died recently) - does the utility come with the latest OTA Stock ROM files included or would those have to be located and downloaded separately?

brkahughes

Jun 2, 2009
Was just curious, the Spring 2014 OTA - If you've been running a custom ROM since then and did not get that OTA, would your device be affected in any way?

Also, I forget (as my laptop that had the original version of mattlgroff's util on it died recently) - does the utility come with the latest OTA Stock ROM files included or would those have to be located and downloaded separately?
The spring 2014 OTA included a number of small bugfixes, as well as some updated radio files. While you can run either, I recommend the latest version, as the radio files can affect performance even when on a custom ROM.

The original Matt's utility contained the 98.72.16 Jellybean (original), and Safestrap 3.11. I updated the utility to the spring release of 98.72.165, and Safestrap 3.73. You can find it in the OP of this thread (hint: it's in my SIG).

Next on the burner is a bootable live-CD version including a choice of Safestrap 3.73 or 3.75 (for those who want to play with Lollipop).

- Brian
"Whatever happens... happens." -Spike Spiegel

Reactions: SgtTeabag

neoramasay

Dec 13, 2010
Tampa
Thanks! I'll probably be downloading the updated util tonight so I can re-flash my phone back to stock and re-root. I've been hitting a "Error executing bianary updater in zip" when trying to flash CM11 to Stock (have it currently running on Rom Slot 1 but want to get it in Stock to have all of the space on my phone available).

NabeelSaleem

Nov 20, 2014
play.google.com
This is the last release of mattlgroff's DROID RAZR Utility allowing you to:

a. Flash a clean stock ROM to your phone while wiping data,
b. Flash a clean stock ROM to your phone while preserving data,
c. Root your stock ROM using the RAZR Blade root exploit by Dan Rosenberg, and
d. Install SafeStrap by Hashcode.

All credit goes to these original developers, all I have done... explanation expanded for those who have asked:
We all rely on the utility turned out by mattlgroff (long may he tinker!) and in no way did I want to look like I wanted to grab fame from someone else's work, but I recognized a couple of things that needed doing:

1. When Matt Groff left the building at RAZR Resort for greener phone pastures, the current official software for our XT912 was 98.72.16, the Jellybean OTA. In the spring of 2014, Verizon released a 5.79 MB OTA dubbed 98.72.165 which patched many system files and updated the radio files on our phones. Rumors ran rampant over whether this would make our phones unrootable and whether it was even necessary. One of the benefits included new network configuration to accommodate Verizon's plans for future system upgrades. I incorporated this firmware in Matt's Utility.

2. At the same time, the current version of Hashcode's SafeStrap utility, 3.11, was included in the utility by Matt. I replaced it with version 3.73, the now-current version.

3. Some of the early reports that the new release of Jellybean was unrootable were fueled by an intermittent failure of Dan Rosenberg's 'RAZR Blade' root exploit to successfully root 98.72.165. This was caused by the phone not remounting some partitions quickly enough during the process. I addressed this issue as well.

Under an agreement that neither Matt nor any of the other mentioned developers were pestered with issues related to my re-release of this utility, he gave me his blessing and even hosted the file on his Batakang server.

There you have it: instead of using the original utility, updating and fighting to preserve/get root, finding an updated SafeStrap; it is once again as easy as it was always supposed to be...

If you have any problems with my updated version of this utility, PLEASE do not pester these developers! They have all moved on from supporting this platform. Post in this thread, and I or someone else will try to help.

Thank you, Matt Groff, for this excellent utility, and for permission to redistribute your work!

Download links:

Android File Host

Batakang

MD5: 9d85b93edc2a3c693574554aa7b05470

-Brian

Sent from my continually born again RAZR MAXX!

It is not working :( .. automatically closed when i press enter in first option.
http://i.imgur.com/QvoWX7v.jpg

Reactions: jdejesus80

kevinevin

Oct 12, 2019
Old thread, old phone, probably a long shot.
Both download links for the AIO XT912 Stock Utility are broken.

I have an XT912 on 4.1.2 and am trying to get it more up to date (at least up to Android 5) so I can use newer apps that require 5 as a minimum. I'm only using the phone for a music player and wifi (no plans to activate the phone or use with a sim card).

brkahughes - I hope that your health is well and, if you're still around here, perhaps you could reply. Thanks.

Kevin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the last release of mattlgroff's DROID RAZR Utility allowing you to:

a. Flash a clean stock ROM to your phone while wiping data,
    b. Flash a clean stock ROM to your phone while preserving data,
    c. Root your stock ROM using the RAZR Blade root exploit by Dan Rosenberg, and
    d. Install SafeStrap by Hashcode.

All credit goes to these original developers, all I have done... explanation expanded for those who have asked:
    We all rely on the utility turned out by mattlgroff (long may he tinker!) and in no way did I want to look like I wanted to grab fame from someone else's work, but I recognized a couple of things that needed doing:

1. When Matt Groff left the building at RAZR Resort for greener phone pastures, the current official software for our XT912 was 98.72.16, the Jellybean OTA. In the spring of 2014, Verizon released a 5.79 MB OTA dubbed 98.72.165 which patched many system files and updated the radio files on our phones. Rumors ran rampant over whether this would make our phones unrootable and whether it was even necessary. One of the benefits included new network configuration to accommodate Verizon's plans for future system upgrades. I incorporated this firmware in Matt's Utility.

2. At the same time, the current version of Hashcode's SafeStrap utility, 3.11, was included in the utility by Matt. I replaced it with version 3.73, the now-current version.

3. Some of the early reports that the new release of Jellybean was unrootable were fueled by an intermittent failure of Dan Rosenberg's 'RAZR Blade' root exploit to successfully root 98.72.165. This was caused by the phone not remounting some partitions quickly enough during the process. I addressed this issue as well.

Under an agreement that neither Matt nor any of the other mentioned developers were pestered with issues related to my re-release of this utility, he gave me his blessing and even hosted the file on his Batakang server.

There you have it: instead of using the original utility, updating and fighting to preserve/get root, finding an updated SafeStrap; it is once again as easy as it was always supposed to be...

If you have any problems with my updated version of this utility, PLEASE do not pester these developers! They have all moved on from supporting this platform. Post in this thread, and I or someone else will try to help.

Thank you, Matt Groff, for this excellent utility, and for permission to redistribute your work!

Download links:

Android File Host

Batakang

MD5: 9d85b93edc2a3c693574554aa7b05470

-Brian

Sent from my continually born again RAZR MAXX!
    Nice tool. But I have a question.
    Is this reversible ?? I mean downgrading back to 4.0.4?

Sent from my XT912 using XDA Free mobile app

That's impossible!

Sent from my Razr XT910
    Don'tcha know, our poor OMAP4 devices are all dead and recycled now? That's why there's no support and all the other forums that got fat on the OG droid RAZR (cough.. droidrzr) have relegated them to "Legacy Devices" and only have dead threads!

Long live XDA and the fanatics that call it home (us)!

Anyway, SafeStrap is, well, safer. And a lot easier to fix than having to hook up to a computer to reflash a ROM while you're at work! [emoji41]

- Brian
    "It's not exactly rocket science! ...Well, actually it is." - Jimmy Neutron

In Android File Host there are no files
    Err... Thank you, I'll check on that when I get to my laptop.

Give me a thanks if I've helped you, I can't feel a high-five!
    - Brian
    "It's not exactly rocket science! ...Well, actually it is." - Jimmy Neutron