Solved -- Running safestrap on sdcard -- looking for input

24th September 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
So I got tired of my weird configuration of running the apps in a mounts2sd with a second ext4 partition on my sdcard and technically nothing should prevent us from running safestrap on the sdcard. So I looked around and it took me a while but I found Hashcode's source code and spent some time studying all the voodoo he does, and most of it is fairly straight forward. Small breakdown:

* Extend TWRP with ifdef statement to add new buttons
* sh scripts get called to perform the functionality for those button
* Swap out some links in /dev/block when you switch between slots and stock
* The entire boot partition including scripts, TWRP, etc are stored in boot image
* The boot image is stored in the stock system under /etc/safestrap

Like I said before, most of the functionality is done in borne shell scripts, but there is some hardcoding in TWRP like creating the .img file to /ss. I really don't want to try to recompile TWRP at this time. As such, I want to limit my changes to the borne shell and configuration INI files only. The simplest answer is to remap /ss from internal storage to the sdcard storage. Another option is to have "system" and "cache" in the internal storage and moving "data" to the sdcard. The difficulty here is since TWRP is hardcoded to create the .img file under /ss, I need to move it during the format stage which happens in the script. The danger with the first option I don't know if the phone will boot if the sdcard is removed. safestrap looks for that directory to figure out the mappings in /dev/block. I think if the directory is missing then it will attempt to create it. After that, things might go bad.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
safestrap
Previous Thread Next Thread