HOW TO: Get Free VZW Mobile Hotspot on OTA ICS 4.0.4 (.211)

Search This thread

v0rtex604

Dec 7, 2012
Help me please.

Droid Razr M (rooted)
98.12.4.XT907.Verison.en.US

I hacked hotspot by changing entitlement check. HotSpot started.
I tried to connect with HTC Flyer and Sony laptop. Connected succeessfully, but is no internet :(

Tried FoxFi - it's reboots my device

drewski_1

Jul 20, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA

@js

Dec 24, 2012
Pretty sure, but I could be wrong....I heard Verizon is including the hot spot for free now and it just comes out of your data package. I'm not sure though...I have unlimited and use foxfi

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Indeed but not out of the goodness of their hearts ;)

See: www dot extremetech dot com/electronics/133810-how-everyone-benefits-from-verizons-fcc-mandated-free-tethering

Note: this is my first post so I'm not allowed to post outside links.... But if you replace the "dot"s in the above string (and drop the "See:") it will take you to an article explaining that the FCC ordered Verizon to stop preventing users from attaching devices of their choice to their paid for 4G connection via "teathering."

like a charm

Figured out that once i had purchased the editor app it was a peice of cake to get this hack working.
The few bucks I paid for the sql app was well worth it. A few bucks for a hack costing $20/month is a no brainer!!
Props to the one who came up with this.

Oct 16, 2013
no red flag to verizon?

im about to give this a try but i wanted to double check this wont alert verizon if im tethering ? i just have been running the gauntlet with my razr lately and re broke my insurance phone today ( cracked screen ) i need wireless to work and not get tagged by verizon for using their app ive always used the wireless tether app but jb has it blocked from working on my device and foxfi scares me by asking my subscription status to verizon and uses their app to emit wifi i was worried this would let them know i was tethering without paying.

anyways fingers crossed

do other foxfi users get the same prompts how does it work for you does it ask verizon for the subscription staus and use the stock tethering app under foxfi instead of saying razr like the op image

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Is this right? I, like others in this thread, have the grandfathered unlimited data and when I tried to fire up the app, VZ wanted $30/mo for it's use so I came here. What's the deal?

i used to use 3rd party apps no problem from rooted phones but now jb wont let that happen,
when did they ask for payment immediately or next billing cycle? im afraid of losing my unlimited or something stupid for using the tether without their permission / paying the subscription

drewski_1

Jul 20, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
im about to give this a try but i wanted to double check this wont alert verizon if im tethering ? i just have been running the gauntlet with my razr lately and re broke my insurance phone today ( cracked screen ) i need wireless to work and not get tagged by verizon for using their app ive always used the wireless tether app but jb has it blocked from working on my device and foxfi scares me by asking my subscription status to verizon and uses their app to emit wifi i was worried this would let them know i was tethering without paying.

anyways fingers crossed

do other foxfi users get the same prompts how does it work for you does it ask verizon for the subscription staus and use the stock tethering app under foxfi instead of saying razr like the op image

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

i used to use 3rd party apps no problem from rooted phones but now jb wont let that happen,
when did they ask for payment immediately or next billing cycle? im afraid of losing my unlimited or something stupid for using the tether without their permission / paying the subscription

No issue with Verizon using this Mod.

Stock tethering App in Settings.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Oct 16, 2013
uh oh

Screenshot of my issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-24-19-34-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-24-19-34-49.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 68
Oct 16, 2013
Weird. Have you tried restarting your phone?

Yeah I've tried just about everything at this point going to try a few ROMs that have the tethering hack built in then if that fails go back to stock everything and start over maybe I can Dow grade back to ICS and put older versions of everything on it. My phone serves little to no purpose other than to emit wifi this has been a huge pain in the ass idk how my old RAZR ( same everything as this one) was able to root and tether with no problems ever and this ones just not having it. After all this No more moto devices for this guy.

josiahb217

Jul 6, 2010
Indiana
Yeah I've tried just about everything at this point going to try a few ROMs that have the tethering hack built in then if that fails go back to stock everything and start over maybe I can Dow grade back to ICS and put older versions of everything on it. My phone serves little to no purpose other than to emit wifi this has been a huge pain in the ass idk how my old RAZR ( same everything as this one) was able to root and tether with no problems ever and this ones just not having it. After all this No more moto devices for this guy.

I had this issue last night. Running stock (got tired of custom ROM issues) and had Mobile Hotspot frozen. Couldn't get any tethering to work. The moment I defrosted the app, everything worked perfectly. You could try just finding the apk (or maybe play store? not sure) and that might make things work. Of course, if you choose to go back to stock, wireless tethering is free through Verizon and surprisingly works well for "bloatware".

Oct 16, 2013
I had this issue last night. Running stock (got tired of custom ROM issues) and had Mobile Hotspot frozen. Couldn't get any tethering to work. The moment I defrosted the app, everything worked perfectly. You could try just finding the apk (or maybe play store? not sure) and that might make things work. Of course, if you choose to go back to stock, wireless tethering is free through Verizon and surprisingly works well for "bloatware".

I've got unlimited data so the tether would cost me 30 to use verizons native. I've been working non stop the past week or so and haven't put any real time or effort into resolving it but man would I love to get back to having Internet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I prefer to use the stock Mobile Hotspot app as I find it convenient and more reliable than third party apps. Although, I hear FoxFi works well ;)
    Here is a quick walk-thru using some free sql apps if you want to avoid paying for SQLite Manager. As always, all standard caveats apply - ie perform at your own risk. ROOT IS REQUIRED!

My info: Stock ROM 6.16.211.xt912.verizon.en.US - Grandfathered unlimited user.

1. Launch your stock Mobile Hotspot app to ensure a db entry is created and you should be presented with this:

2. Back out and download both aShell and aSQLiteManager by ANDSEN in play store for free.
    3. Launch aShell and agree to terms, etc.
    4. Make sure you enable root access by checking box in upper left corner that says "root"
    5. Tap "file explorer" and navigate to /data/data and select "com.motorola.android.providers.settings"
    6. Select "database"
    7. Select "settings.db"
    8. Warning pop up tap "yes"
    9. aSQLiteManager popup - tap "Open database with aSQLiteManager"
    10. Tap "ok" for tip pop-up
    11. Select "settings"
    12. Tap "ok" for tip pop up
    13. Tap "data"
    14. Tap "pgdn" until you find row 79 with the entitlement_check field
    15. Tap "edit" on row 79, then change "value" from the default of 1, to 0
    16. Tap "ok"
    17. Back out of aSQLitemanager then tap "yes" to confirm changes
    18. Reboot. You should now see this when you launch Mobile Hotspot

Hope this helps!
    NOTE: You will need root access for this to work! I am not responsible for any damages, should they occur (which is highly unlikely, if not impossible, with this tweak), voided warranties, or general pissed-offedness on the part of VZW because you recognize their thievery and won't stand for it. :victory: Steps have been adapted from the original guide below (only one step was changed for ICS):

http://droidrazrroot.com/droid-razr-wifi-tether/how-to-get-free-4g-lte-wifi-tethermobile-hotspot-on-rooted-droid-razr/

In SQLite Editor (or comparable), navigate to:
    "Settings Storage : com.motorola.android.providers.settings" (the icon is a red and white hammer and wrench)
    then:
    "settings.db"
    then:
    "settings"
    then:
    _id 79 "entitlement check"
    Once there, change "value" field from "1" to "0" (this is the only step different from the original process, where the _id was 150).

Reboot, and you'll have VZW's Mobile Hotspot free of charge!

Cheers!
    I think the people that are beating dead horses are the ones that keep saying "use FoxFi" in a thread about using the default app. FoxFi is great, but this gives another option for people that are having issues with other apps (like I was). Remember, even though we all have RAZRs, we're all using different ROMs, have different versions of software, located in different areas, etc...let alone the fact that every device has minute differences... So I'm happy that you're having success with FoxFi, but not everyone will be in the same boat...
    First off, kudos for people who dig in and figure out methods for getting their wifi hotspots working, but seriously... FoxFi just plain works... Set your password (especially important if you're on a tiered data plan) and press start. It's that easy.
    I have been a huge fan of FoxFi for a while now. I just got the 4G in my area and have been using the holy stuff out of both of them together. As of today, My FoxFi updated and now the dirty B's have a free and paid versions. I only get like five mins on the free then I have to restart it. The paid version is 7 bucks. Seriously who pays for any of there apps? I will root before I pay!!! That was part of the joy of Fox Fi, to be able to have my wifi hotspot without having to root. I know that once I ran across a way to unlock the hotspot where you did not have to be rooted but I am unsure where I saw it. I am pretty happy with my phone right now not being rooted and so this is why I am trying to get someones help to see if it is possible to WiFi hotspot without having to pay or root. I know I am not asking for much. LOL

Uhhhh I paid the 7 dollars just like I pay for all the apps that I use if there's a charge for them. It's quite simple as to why... It's supporting the developer for their time and work. If everyone just pirated all the software then how long do you imagine people would keep wasting their efforts to provide it?

Plus, it's no different than stealing.... (Unlike music and movies :) J/K)