[Q] Rooted but can't get any ROM installed

Search This thread

villian1998

Jul 18, 2010
@sd_shadow, I rooted my droid razr T912 using the iRoot method. I have bootstrap 3.72 installed and I had made a back up of the image prior to installing CM 11. I'm running into errors installing anything on my razr now. I tried to go back to my old image copy but I erased system along with dalvic, data so now it won't boot up. I still have access to bootstrap, can you help me please? Do I need to restore the factory image or since I have bootstrap is there a way to get a new image on without the system files?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
@sd_shadow, I rooted my droid razr T912 using the iRoot method. I have bootstrap 3.72 installed and I had made a back up of the image prior to installing CM 11. I'm running into errors installing anything on my razr now. I tried to go back to my old image copy but I erased system along with dalvic, data so now it won't boot up. I still have access to bootstrap, can you help me please? Do I need to restore the factory image or since I have bootstrap is there a way to get a new image on without the system files?
All Questions are to be posted to Q & A forum, I have requested that this thread be moved to Q&A.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Which model number is on back cover of phone?
What are the full file names used? safestrap? rom? gapps?...

villian1998

Jul 18, 2010
All Questions are to be posted to Q & A forum, I have requested that this thread be moved to Q&A.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Which model number is on back cover of phone? XT912
What are the full file names used? safestrap? rom? gapps?...
I used Rootmaster.apk to root the phone. I used stargo's 3.75 Safestrap 31-Jan-2015 for the recovery.

I used cm-12.1-20150519-NIGHTLY-spyder.zip and
gapps-lp-20150314.zip

but like I said these fail, which is fine but I can't get my old image back because it fails at the system install. I think it's because I initially wiped system?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I'm literally doing this while go in/out of meetings today. I think I need to re-root the phone again?
If you can boot to twrp recovery, root doesn't matter

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

What files do you have on device now?

villian1998

Jul 18, 2010
If you can boot to twrp recovery, root doesn't matter

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

What files do you have on device now?

An update, I tried to re-install the old backup but without system, in which it didn't do anything but eventually came up to the bootstrap screen. It stated that I didn't have su and If I wanted to install the SU binaries. I clicked yes thinking that would get it to work and now I can't get the bootstrap screen, but I can only get to the bootloader now. It seems like I will need to revert back to the old firmware correct? In the AP Fastboot Flash Mode it says the device is locked btw.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
An update, I tried to re-install the old backup but without system, in which it didn't do anything but eventually came up to the bootstrap screen. It stated that I didn't have su and If I wanted to install the SU binaries.
TWRP is used with many devices. With some devices twrp can be flashed before rooting, and then you can root with TWRP, the XT912 is not one of those devices.
When you get not rooted warning in twrp, that almost always means Rom is not bootable or completely missing.
Do not reboot if you get that warning.
It seems like I will need to revert back to the old firmware correct?
Yes now you need to flash stock firmware with RSD Lite.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

In the AP Fastboot Flash Mode it says the device is locked btw.
the XT912 bootloader is not unlockable.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

An update, I tried to re-install the old backup but without system,
The twrp nandroid backup includes system and user partitions, if done correctly.

Last edited:

villian1998

Jul 18, 2010
Ok, I'm in the process of using RSD lite

TWRP is used with many devices. With some devices twrp can be flashed before rooting, and then you can root with TWRP, the XT912 is not one of those devices.
When you get not rooted warning in twrp, that almost always means Rom is not bootable or completely missing.
Do not reboot if you get that warning.

Yes now you need to flash stock firmware with RSD Lite.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

the XT912 bootloader is not unlockable.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

The twrp nandroid backup includes system and user partitions, if done correctly.

But the link to get to the recovery firmware for the Razr xt912 doesn't work, do you have another mirror?

villian1998

Jul 18, 2010
Alright, I'm back again. But this an interesting development. Let me describe the whole process.
I originally rooted using the Saferoot - [Video]Safe Root for Jelly Bean Android Devices like the Droid Bionic 4.1.2 & More @Tomsgt to root again. It worked like a charm. I updated the SU binaries from the updated SU app and placed SU in my system. My next step was to install safestrap 3.75 which I had the apk still on my internal memory and was able to install it successfully. I booted to the recovery and made a back up(which I'm curious to know if it actually worked this time, but I haven't flashed back to yet) which worked flawlessly. Now this time I wiped with just doing a simple dalvik cache wipe and installed CM12 per the directions and Gapps in this thread Official CM12 thread - Official Downloads (XT912). Everything appears to be fine but I noticed that I didn't have SU, I checked to see if the phone was rooted, which the jRummy root checker says no root. I've tried flashing a SU zip from this post Quote:
Originally Posted by andreimoto
i found my razr in cm12 not root...
maybe this is silly question.... then how to make it root?

thanks dude...

https://download.chainfire.eu/396/Su...etrieve_file=1 just flash superSU in ss recovery to gain root access.

So I can't seem to get root access which is bothering me, but not a deal breaker. I've also noticed that when I try to connect to the computer, my computer can't connect to the phone for some reason. So I'm curious to know how I can get root access again? Should I try saferoot again? I hope this is makes sense.....

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Alright, I'm back again. But this an interesting development. Let me describe the whole process.
I originally rooted using the Saferoot - [Video]Safe Root for Jelly Bean Android Devices like the Droid Bionic 4.1.2 & More @Tomsgt to root again. It worked like a charm. I updated the SU binaries from the updated SU app and placed SU in my system. My next step was to install safestrap 3.75 which I had the apk still on my internal memory and was able to install it successfully. I booted to the recovery and made a back up(which I'm curious to know if it actually worked this time, but I haven't flashed back to yet) which worked flawlessly. Now this time I wiped with just doing a simple dalvik cache wipe and installed CM12 per the directions and Gapps in this thread Official CM12 thread - Official Downloads (XT912). Everything appears to be fine but I noticed that I didn't have SU, I checked to see if the phone was rooted, which the jRummy root checker says no root. I've tried flashing a SU zip from this post Quote:
Originally Posted by andreimoto
i found my razr in cm12 not root...
maybe this is silly question.... then how to make it root?

thanks dude...

https://download.chainfire.eu/396/Su...etrieve_file=1 just flash superSU in ss recovery to gain root access.

So I can't seem to get root access which is bothering me, but not a deal breaker. I've also noticed that when I try to connect to the computer, my computer can't connect to the phone for some reason. So I'm curious to know how I can get root access again? Should I try saferoot again? I hope this is makes sense.....
every rom has a separate superuser/binary, root access for stock has nothing to do with a custom rom.
if you can boot to twrp recovery, stock slot should be rooted.
rom slot you are installing cm12 in?
full file names?
verified md5s?

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

How did you move SuperSu to system?

villian1998

Jul 18, 2010
every rom has a separate superuser/binary, root access for stock has nothing to do with a custom rom.
if you can boot to twrp recovery, stock slot should be rooted.
rom slot you are installing cm12 in?
full file names?
verified md5s?

Yes I can boot to twrp recovery.
I installed to internal slot
cm-12.1-20150528-NIGHTLY-spyder.zip
md5sum: e230e1b71b7158c6d89a961e9c6c6087

For GApps, I used these: https://s.basketbuild.com/gapps

Tried this zip for SU https://download.chainfire.eu/396/Su...etrieve_file=1 just flash superSU in ss recovery to gain root access.

Yes verified all MD5s.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire