Droid Turbo 2 - A Personal Battery Life Test

Search This thread

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
You didn't post awake time (when you tap on the graph) but notification bar shows whatsapp and 21(probably battery percentage app or something). Try to /temporary) remove some of apps which are working in background all the time.

Arkaknio

Aug 16, 2008
Seville
You didn't post awake time (when you tap on the graph) but notification bar shows whatsapp and 21(probably battery percentage app or something). Try to /temporary) remove some of apps which are working in background all the time.

Edited the post with the requested screenshot. I also attached it to this post.

I have removed almost every app and still the same. I had the same apps on my old Z2 and it lasted for 16-18h with 5-6h of SOT, so I think that the problem is the phone.

Another thing is that the overheating is very noticiable. The metalic frame is warm most of the times.

I also tried with Marshmallow 6.0 and the same, now I'm in 5.1.1 becuase I downgraded to test.

Any help will be appreciated. Maybe is a faulty unit?.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-08-15-42-57.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-08-15-42-57.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 426

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
Wi-fi is on all the time (scanning or you use it?), awake mainly whith scree on (that's good). T2 was heating a lot, I've reported that. Force much less, especially after upgrade to 6.0. But now is colder outside too. Heat usually means that CPU is more utilized, basically some app running in background. Check you CPU cores utilization with System panel and CPU-Z. 3C CPU Manager is great tool to check how long each core was awake.

48 Hours MY A$$

Just wow motorola, I have never been able to get more than 5 hours of screen in time in my case. Granted, I play a lot of Geometry dash, but still, I will never be able to get 48 hours. I don't understand it. Maybe the snapdragon 810 and 1440p display are a factor-one of the many reasons why 1080p displays at that size are better. I can easily drain the battery in a single day

varun.gid

Jun 18, 2008
Dubai
On my Rooted MM 6.0, i get always 5 - 6 hrs SOT, but then there is this weird OVER COUNT drain in battery stats!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All, I'm coming from the thread "Buyer's Remorse, is Droid Turbo 2 worth it???". There I unofficially just started documenting my battery life with timely status and activity updates. Here is a summary:

I am quite disappointed by the DT2. I'm coming from a Droid RAZR MAXX first edition. The battery life on the DT2 compared to the MAXX is horrible so far and I think it's an issue with Lollipop. I really hope the provide an update soon. The lack of a dark theme is also annoying. I like the design of the phone. And I upgraded because I wanted to keep my UDPlan and not pay the extra $20 a month. But so far the DT2 has failed to meet my basic expectations. I have mine in leather back engraved. So I'm not switching phones any time soon.

Test 1, Day 1:

It's 8:25 AM PST - I woke up around 7 AM. I just started using my phone to set things up in the past 10 minutes. Battery is down 98%. All is lost. Just joking. But I have a feeling my battery woes have not been resolved. This is exactly the same thing I noticed when I took the phone out of its box for the first time and charged it and started using it. I noticed the battery drain was faster than anything I've ever seen. ---- I'm coming from a RAZR MAXX first edition which I must say has held up quite well in terms of battery life. I know it's a smaller screen and weaker specs, but still, I'm expecting Turbo 2 to hold up just as well since technology has improved, right? Plus, the T2 is marketed along side the MAXX, but so far, it's behaving like the ogre big brother that lacks coordination (battery life).

Edit 2: It's 8:32 AM - the Battery life estimate on my phone reads 7 hours left at 98%. Only two items listed for consumption. Play Store 1% and Gmail.

Edit 3: 9:22 AM - Set up my phone for about 20 mins, made coffee, walked my dog plus phase 2 of my morning routine, about 30 mins, then had a 3 minute phone call. Battery is at 94% - 16 hours left. I have no doubt it will last the day, but that's not what I'm aiming for, I'm aiming for more. I got nearly 3 days out of my MAXX when I first got it. I also went on a 9 hour Netflix spree over the course of a 2 day weekend, to catch up on Sons of Anarchy, and still made it to Monday without a charge. I highly doubt my DT2 can endure the same tests.

I'm definitely going to run it down to < 5% tonight ... if I can ... and keep up the wipe caches and full charges. Battery training. But on the way there, I will complain:

9:56 AM - 94% still, I haven't used the phone since my last post.

It's 1:27 PM PST - I'm down to 91% - I didn't use my phone other than to send 5 short text messages. But I did receive emails and notifications which leads me into my next issue ... it looks like Lollipoops does not use LED notifications at least on Vibrate mode (I leave my phone on Vibrate 90% of the time). So I forgot to enable vibrate for my text messages and there is no LED notification, so I missed my GFs texts.

Google Play Services is on top of the battery usage list at 2% while cell standby is next at 1%. 91% still as I write with 2 days estimated time left on battery. These stats are good, but I haven't gotten to end of day where I spend 2 hours double tapping on Instagram ... ... just joking, I don't check Instagram lol. But later today I will be fully setting up my phone, disabling bloatware and arranging my home screen. I already have my wall paper as the color black. Yep, ever since Droid One. I went from Droid One to RAZR MAXX V1 to this DT2. I am still pissed about the no LED notification, if I am missing something, someone please let me know. Oh, I removed all those "candy" related bloatware apps and disabled that lame DT Ignite. Why VZW? Why did you install an app that puts spam poop on my phone?!

Edit 2: 1:59 PM PST 89% Battery - Rebooted: Once - I was just on my phone figuring out how to get LED notifications. There are none. Cans someone chime in on this? Please. And no Moto Sense. Thanks!

2:59 PM PST - 85% One day 2 hours left - browsing through my phone, disabling more bloatware, trying to look for the option that lets you choose "how many lines of text to display in the notification bar" or something like that, anyone any idea where that is? - Rebooted: Once More. I haven't even reinstalled my like 30 apps that I use. (Still at work, which is at home, but still.)

11:16 PM - 77% 3 days left according to Battery under Settings. 4% Cell Standby, 3% Screen. I have bad reception here, only about 2 bars, sometimes 1 bar to none. Call quality remains the same though thankfully. So between 3 PM to now I've been using my phone quite normally, but I'm about to use it leisurely in T - 2 mins. I'm going to add my other 6 5 Gmail accounts as well as mess around with Moto features like Display and Voice. Then browse Amazon, it's holiday season. Edit: DT2 is getting plus points on my scorecard. Let's see how it holds up overnight and into tomorrow!

Test 1, Day 2:

6:47 AM PST - 66% Battery Life 2 Days Left - Cell Standby 8%, Screen 5%, WiFi 3%, Idle 2%, OS 2%. So after my last post, I set up all my Gmail accounts which took me down to 70% which is when I set my phone down. I woke up about 20 mins ago and my phone was at 67%. It basically dropped 3% overnight. I don't know if this is normal. Anyone else?

So in about 24 hours (it's 6:59 AM now and I took the phone off charging around 7 AM yesterday), my battery went from 100% to 66%, that's 34%. Pretty good given the specs on the phone and compared to my usage. I know it won't beat my MAXX which has been on for 2 Days 9 HRs is is currently at 50% battery - note, I've also been using the MAXX, just only WiFi. It looks like if I had better reception here, I might get a little bit better battery life out of my DT2. And under my calculations there can easily be a +/- 7% of battery (last night 77% down to 70% under momentary heavy usage, 6 Gmail accounts setup and syncing).

My phone for the most part is connected to the Internets over Wifi and through 5G network if applicable because I gots the FIOS and want to boast a 93.5-95 Mbps upload speed. When I'm out walking my dog, I'm on LTE. I have "Location" turned off. I made it a habit to do this from my older phones, so why not keep it up. I haven't used the Location/GPS for anything yesterday however, perhaps I will use it today.

It's 2:28 PM PST - 63% 2 days left on battery - I haven't used my phone much since my previous post. It however has been receiving a bunch of emails from QuoteStream (stock alerts) ... dang the market was rough this morning. I have my phone on vibrate pretty much at all times, so it was vibrating a lot. I just got a few texts from my GF. But that's about it.

10:45 PM PST - 36% battery and replying from phone. Says I have 23 hrs left.

Screen on time says 3 hrs and 32 mins. Phone has not been charged for about 48 hrs. Though I think I rebooted my phone once.

Test 1, Day 3:

7:32 AM - 31% battery. I woke up around 7. I'm replying on my phone via chrome. Can't get Tapatalk to work. Can someone please help? I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Back to the battery, says I have about 23 hrs left. Last night before bed I did a quick post because I was falling asleep. I had set up Moto Display. I fully understand the replacement for LED notifications now. Though I prefer the latter. I also set up Moto Voice but have not really used it. I wanted to use "Computer" as the catch phrase like how they do in Star Trek (TNG etc) but it was not allowed. So I chose one used by "famous inspector" from my "childhood".

I also downloaded Screen Filter which I had used extensively with my MAXX. This app instantly reduces screen brightness to a preset value. Easy on the eyes at dark mostly. Ooh almost forgot, I used Maps Nav for about 15 mins driving to dinner last night. Cell Standby is still on top of the list for battery consumption.

Yep. 48 hrs, non stop WiFi and LTE, only use Location/GPS when I have to, and about 3.5 hours of screen on time. 5G as in 5 Ghz wireless signal vs 2.4 Ghz. I can definitely combine my results. Would be interesting.

10:00 AM PST - 25% Battery - 17 hrs left - I've been receiving stock updates as usual. Nothing else though. Edit: I also just realized that if I slam my fist on my table where my phone sits, Moto Display appears. I turned off the silly approach your phone sense thing. It was annoying. Normal Moto Display is quite smart. I'm starting to think that the flashing LED on my MAXX which still sits next to me right now is ... annoying.

2:36 PM - 19% Battery - 13 hrs left. I think I might need to charge this phone before going out to a Circa Survive Anthony Green performance with my GF. 18% now. At 5%, battery saver kicks in. Nothing special since my last post. Just lots of emails received though and some texts. Screen on just over 4 hrs now. Sent from Turbo 2 via Tapatalk

12:59 AM PST 3% battery 2 hrs left. Just got back from a performance. I took a bunch of screen shots to document my screen on time and general battery life. When I was in the club I had airplane mode turned on. Anyway charging now finally. More tomorrow. Sent from Turbo 2 via Tapatalk

Test 1, Day 1:
    8:25 AM PST - I woke up around 7 AM – 98%
    9:22 AM - 94%
    1:27 PM - 91%
    1:59 PM - 89%
    2:59 PM - 85%
    11:16 PM - 77%

Test 1, Day 2:
    6:47 AM PST - 66%
    2:28 PM - 63%
    10:45 PM - 36%

Test 1, Day 3:
    7:32 AM PST - 31%
    10:00 AM - 25%
    2:36 PM - 19%
    12:59 AM - 3%
    So for the first testing you got 2 days and 17 hours? And over 4 hours (cannot find exact time in your blog) of SoT (screen on time)? Phone was online all the time syncing?

I was hopping for something like you did at the end of the post. Date, time, battery %, SoT, comment about usage (apps you used, top apps under battery consumption...). But blog was also interesting to read. I read that you're taking screenshots, so you can make it better for the second testing ;)
    Idk... Unplug around 0700am and plugged it at 0030.
    That's usually around what I get.
    Not really complaining though... My s6 gets me around 3 hrs SOT max. This thing is almost double. Especially on WiFi.
    No battery saving at all and adaptive brightness on, with slider at about half way
    Hmm I totally forgot I can just quickly attach screenshots.

uploadfromtaptalk1447533475910.pnguploadfromtaptalk1447533483966.pnguploadfromtaptalk1447533490515.png

Sent from Turbo 2 via Tapatalk
    @TheNeckerCube Hey dude, I mentioned in my thread about buyers remorse that I liked your battery usage you're putting out there. But I am not sure its a fair evaluation only because you don't seem to be even a moderate user unless I'm reading your usage wrong. You seem to be a pretty light user.

I remember the first day I got my droid turbo 1. I had really nothing going on so I wasn't making phone calls or surfing the web. In fact I didn't use my phone much at all outside of communicating with my wife. It was over 60 hours before I had to put it one a charger. I feel like the DT2 has about the same battery stats more or less. Keep the testing coming though, it is very interesting.