Turbo Charger

Search This thread

Cobra04

Dec 11, 2012
LG V35
Sony Xperia 5 II
Anyone have concerns about using the turbo charger?
It works great. Took a shower while charging and went from 14% to around 70%. It does however get pretty warm which I worry could adversely affect the lifespan of the battery.

chipsa964

Sep 22, 2010
Anyone have concerns about using the turbo charger?
It works great. Took a shower while charging and went from 14% to around 70%. It does however get pretty warm which I worry could adversely affect the lifespan of the battery.

Wow, how long was your shower? I went from 0% to about 15% in 15 minutes. Mine also got pretty warm, but assuming the battery does last for 48 hrs, 15% should last just under 8 hrs. We'll see how it works though.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Haha anyone look at the specs on the charger?
My old peepers need a magnifying glass but I noticed three modes with different voltages.
It goes up to 12V out at 1.2A

I don't think I will be putting this on another device. If the switcher gets confused and applies 12V to a standard 5V USB device, something very bad will most likely happen!

Juliann826

Oct 21, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed the phone getting a little warm while on the turbo charger as well. Also, found out last night that it does not matter what cable you use, it still does a turbo charge with any cable. Last thing I found out was that the turbo charger will turbo charge a note 4 as well and the samsung advanced charger (their version of the turbo charge) will turbo charge my phone too.

doitright

Oct 31, 2014
I noticed the phone getting a little warm while on the turbo charger as well. Also, found out last night that it does not matter what cable you use, it still does a turbo charge with any cable. Last thing I found out was that the turbo charger will turbo charge a note 4 as well and the samsung advanced charger (their version of the turbo charge) will turbo charge my phone too.

So you've observed that "motorola turbo charge" is just a rebranding of "qualcomm quick charge".... ;)

mikera67

May 12, 2010
It does heat the phone up a bit, left on charger for about ten minutes went from 45 to 65 percent in no time.

mikera67

May 12, 2010
Can't put it down to charge! I'm letting it gain about ten percentage points before I unplug and play.

It does cool down rather fast.

The nylon isn't as grippy as I first thought, wasn't planning on a case but it might be in the cards, too bad because the turbo is really sexy naked!

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
How long is it taking everyone for a full charge? Also last it went from 1% - %25 took about 30min is that normal for Turbo?

Mine took 1 hour 55 minutes to go from 22% to 100%, with a few screen wakes in there for a couple texts that came in. It went from 22% to 44% in about 20 minutes. Mine got pretty warm, but once it hit ~75% it started cooling down, and the charge rate dropped, as it should.

In terms of being worried, a faster charge time from higher voltage is actually good for a lithium battery. The extra volts allows the charge to penetrate deeper, quicker, and more completely saturate the entire battery cell. Will this generate increased heat? Yes, of course. But the battery is going to have a thermal shut off built in to it that prevents any damage from occurring, and in general our idea of 'hot' is far bellow the batteries' idea of 'hot'.

Reactions: PerCompLLC

Xfvalveking

Mar 9, 2011
Not too wooried

I have been charging my Droid Razr Maxx since I got it with the ASUS charger for my Nexus 7. It made a big difference in charging times for me. Before purchasing the Turbo, my battery life was still lasting 2 to 3 days with normal use. I doubt this technology is causing the battery to degrade at a fast enough rate for any of us to notice.

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Looking at the turbo charger, it's not simply a high output charger like you get on some phones, such as the 2A chargers, but it outputs at almost double the voltage as well, 9V vs 5V.

Cobra04

Dec 11, 2012
LG V35
Sony Xperia 5 II
Wow, how long was your shower? I went from 0% to about 15% in 15 minutes. Mine also got pretty warm, but assuming the battery does last for 48 hrs, 15% should last just under 8 hrs. We'll see how it works though.

How long was your shower I went from 1% to %25 in 30 mins with the charger included

Hah. I should clarify. My intent was to let it charge while I shower but I tend to get caught up watching youtube or looking at reddit before I shower. The total time on charger was 35-40 minutes.

Xelios029

Oct 19, 2012
Mine charges at about 1% per minute. I only got to charge it once though so maybe the battery needs to be calibrated or whatever.

Tunameltsalad

Feb 28, 2013
Phone started at 50% when I purchased it. Ran with HEAVY usage until about 7:30. Put it on charger with 4% battery remaining. At ~9:15 it was fully charged. More heavy usage until ~Midnight, battery was at 60%. Woke up with 55%, drained it to 43%, threw it on charge for ~20 minutes and it was at 67%. Low usage since, and its at 60%. So theres that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How long is it taking everyone for a full charge? Also last it went from 1% - %25 took about 30min is that normal for Turbo?

Mine took 1 hour 55 minutes to go from 22% to 100%, with a few screen wakes in there for a couple texts that came in. It went from 22% to 44% in about 20 minutes. Mine got pretty warm, but once it hit ~75% it started cooling down, and the charge rate dropped, as it should.

In terms of being worried, a faster charge time from higher voltage is actually good for a lithium battery. The extra volts allows the charge to penetrate deeper, quicker, and more completely saturate the entire battery cell. Will this generate increased heat? Yes, of course. But the battery is going to have a thermal shut off built in to it that prevents any damage from occurring, and in general our idea of 'hot' is far bellow the batteries' idea of 'hot'.