Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,020 Members 54,550 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Droid Ultra Unlocked on TMobile Network

Tip us?

g0ran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Droid Ultra Unlocked on TMobile Network

So I bought my gf a droid ultra unlocked. Went and got a nano sim from T-Mobile store. I put the correct APN settings according to the apn guide from theunlockr

Now the question is can I get LTE on it? According to a tutorial on tmobiles site I just have to change

APN: epc.tmobile.com
to
APN: fast.tmobile.com

So the real question is can I get LTE for her if I make that change? Or does the ultra not support the T-Mobile lte band?

I checked coverage map on tmo in my area and there is LTE, just wondering if it will work on the droid ultra.

@work
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
It supports it. It should automatically connect if the band is available in your area. The APN makes the actual TCP IP connection to the internet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

However you are going to have issues sending texts and making calls if you connect to LTE. You can get around them by disabling LTE.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
-------------------------------------
Stay hungry, Stay foolish.

liongood9
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ran View Post
So I bought my gf a droid ultra unlocked. Went and got a nano sim from T-Mobile store. I put the correct APN settings according to the apn guide from theunlockr

Now the question is can I get LTE on it? According to a tutorial on tmobiles site I just have to change

APN: epc.tmobile.com
to
APN: fast.tmobile.com

So the real question is can I get LTE for her if I make that change? Or does the ultra not support the T-Mobile lte band?

I checked coverage map on tmo in my area and there is LTE, just wondering if it will work on the droid ultra.
You can't send text messages or make outgoing calls if you have droid ultra 4.4 or above on lte. It'll fall over to the cdma/1x network.
It used to work at 4.2.2 but Motorola and verizon changed it. If you have problems sending text messages on lte or making calls on lte, you can for complaint with fcc and verizon might address your issues.

g0ran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks peeps. I will just keep it how it is for her. Don't wanna mess it up and have her nag my ear off.

Topsnake
Old
Thanks Meter 438

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by liongood9 View Post
You can't send text messages or make outgoing calls if you have droid ultra 4.4 or above on lte. It'll fall over to the cdma/1x network.
It used to work at 4.2.2 but Motorola and verizon changed it. If you have problems sending text messages on lte or making calls on lte, you can for complaint with fcc and verizon might address your issues.
This issue is corrected in my moto x 4.4.4 port but only for unlocked bootloaders.

Moral of the story, SEARCH BEFORE POSTING! Chances are it has been asked several times.

GnatGoSplat
Old
Thanks Meter 125
I thought I'd read this issue was fixed on the 4.4.4 OTA. It was not?

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
I thought I'd read this issue was fixed on the 4.4.4 OTA. It was not?
It was fixed in the Moto X 4.4.4 OTA, not on the Ultra/Maxx. That is why @Topsnake 's Moto X ported ROM solves the issue. Likely, the next update will solve this for the Ultra/Maxx....we can hope anyways.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Topsnake
Old
Thanks Meter 438

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
It was fixed in the Moto X 4.4.4 OTA, not on the Ultra/Maxx. That is why @Topsnake 's Moto X ported ROM solves the issue. Likely, the next update will solve this for the Ultra/Maxx....we can hope anyways.
Exactly. We hoped the native 4.4.4 update for the maxx would have fixed it since its been present through 3 updates, but no dice.

Moral of the story, SEARCH BEFORE POSTING! Chances are it has been asked several times.