Lollipop

Search This thread

morr22066

Feb 19, 2011
Texas
Just got my survey for another Moro Verizon SOAK...not sure if any Lollipop is involved but we will see.

From what I have been reading in the Official Moto forums it does still sound as though the Maxx / Ultra are getting lollipop. The 2013 Moto X may get it first but since our hardware is so similar I would hope that we would get it soon after.

My Maxx is still having problems, I continue to get the message about the phone going into cool down mode and the phone will frequently shut down even when it is not really hot. I am hoping that the lollipop update will fix that. If anyone knows what may be causing my issue or how to fix it let me know. I Have tried flashing the stock firmware with RSD lite multiple times but the problem doesn't go away. I have been using an HTC One while I try to figure out the problem with my Maxx, but I really miss the Maxx and the battery life...

Last edited:

carbonat87

Aug 22, 2014
Dnipropetrovsk
My Maxx is still having problems, I continue to get the message about the phone going into cool down mode and the phone will frequently shut down even when it is not really hot. I am hoping that the lollipop update will fix that.

Well, my second Droid Mini, which is seriously damaged, has the same problem and that's kinda hardware problem, so Lollipop update won't fix your Maxx. Try to take it to the service.

maveric710

Dec 22, 2010
From what I have been reading in the Official Moto forums it does still sound as though the Maxx / Ultra are getting lollipop. The 2013 Moto X may get it first but since our hardware is so similar I would hope that we would get it soon after.

My Maxx is still having problems, I continue to get the message about the phone going into cool down mode and the phone will frequently shut down even when it is not really hot. I am hoping that the lollipop update will fix that. If anyone knows what may be causing my issue or how to fix it let me know. I Have tried flashing the stock firmware with RSD lite multiple times but the problem doesn't go away. I have been using an HTC One while I try to figure out the problem with my Maxx, but I really miss the Maxx and the battery life...

That may be your battery conking out. No amount of software updates will fix that.

morr22066

Feb 19, 2011
Texas
That may be your battery conking out. No amount of software updates will fix that.

At first I thought it may be the battery, but it holds a charge forever and does not drain fast. The problem began suddenly after using TWRP to flash CM12, my backups became corrupted and everything went to crap after that so I decided to go back to the stock firmware, the problem had improved but has not gone away. That is why I have been hoping that a firmware update may help. If it may just be the battery I could replace it but didn't want to spend the money unless I was fairly sure that was the problem.

doogald

May 27, 2010
Based off the update history, the Droid Ultra will get LP before the 1st gen X. DU got KK before 1st gen X...

Nope. The X got KitKat a month before the ultra/maxx/mini. The Droids did get 4.4.4 first, but that was just because the X had 4.4.2 already, which was fine, and the Droids were still on a 6 month old and pretty buggy 4.4.

I don't think there's any way the 2013 Droids get Lollipop before the 2013 X.

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
well here we are going into august and still no lollipop update from moto or verizon. as i said i think we will be stuck on kitkat. glad the mini isn't my personal device, just a work issued device.

DmdStar

Dec 27, 2005
Dodgeville, WI
You think we will be stuck on KitKat?.. What is your rationality?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Seems pretty rational at this point that we'll get passed over for lollipop, in my mind. The XT1080 is a 2-year-old device (released in July 2013). Most people will be replacing these devices over the course of the next year or so. Verizon is pushing other phones much harder than the Ultra/Maxx now, and since Moto's website says we'll get lollipop pending vendor support (aka Verizon), I would be rather shocked if we actually got it. Just my take on it. We may get it in the near future, but that would be a very pleasant surprise to me.

Reactions: fix-this!

doogald

May 27, 2010
well here we are going into august and still no lollipop update from moto or verizon. as i said i think we will be stuck on kitkat. glad the mini isn't my personal device, just a work issued device.

Still no Lollipop on the Verizon OG Moto X. The Maxx/Ultra won't get it before that phone.

Motorola still says the 2013 Droids will get L. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long, but much of the blame rests with the crappy job Google did with Lollipop.

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
Still no Lollipop on the Verizon OG Moto X. The Maxx/Ultra won't get it before that phone.

Motorola still says the 2013 Droids will get L. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long, but much of the blame rests with the crappy job Google did with Lollipop.

With android m around the corner dont hold your breath for lollipop at all.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

You think we will be stuck on KitKat?.. What is your rationality?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My rational is lollipop will soon be replaced by m and moto and verizon have no excuses at this point whats taking so long.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
Seems pretty rational at this point that we'll get passed over for lollipop, in my mind. The XT1080 is a 2-year-old device (released in July 2013). Most people will be replacing these devices over the course of the next year or so. Verizon is pushing other phones much harder than the Ultra/Maxx now, and since Moto's website says we'll get lollipop pending vendor support (aka Verizon), I would be rather shocked if we actually got it. Just my take on it. We may get it in the near future, but that would be a very pleasant surprise to me.

Truthfully, I've rather lost interest for many of the reasons you mention. I got my Droid Maxx in early Jan of 2014 on a two year contract so I'm less than 6 months away from time to get a new phone anyway.

The other side of the coin is that my Maxx is actually working very well for me on 4.4.4 right now so I'm not feeling any particular need for an upgrade. I got the 4.4.2 to 5.02 upgrade on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 a while back and there was a nice increase in responsiveness etc...but nothing earth shattering. I'm also using Apex launcher on all my Android devices so changes to the UI aren't of particular interest to me...I can already customize it to the way I like it. So an upgrade to my Maxx is becoming more and more of a "who cares" for me.

For my particular usage its fine the way it is...to the point where when January rolls around I may just get off the two year treadmill and just keep it for the foreseeable future. This may be partly due to age and my declining eye sight but I actually find myself doing less on the phone and not more...and not because the phone wouldn't do what I want. Just because in most cases I'd rather switch to the 8.4 inch tablet than try to squint at a phone screen. And I have no desire to go to some monstrously large phablet phone. The Maxx is about as big as I can stand and still consider it a phone.

So I'm basically going to quit looking for an update. If I get one, great. But there is nothing wrong with the phone the way it is now and for the first time since I've had a smartphone I have "good enough" performance and don't find myself wishing I had more. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lemmy Caution

Aug 10, 2008
"I'll be on my next phone by then."
The camera had quit working after the 4.4 camera fix and I got tired of waiting (Kinks -1965...) for Lollipop for my xt1080 developer edition so on June 30, I bought a Turbo and on July 2nd a Nexus 6. I immediately upgraded the Turbo to 5.1. didn't root first, just figured I could wait. First impression was - wow! it's different.! Within a week though I had begun to grow tired of the new phone interface - there's this speed dial feature with large tiles that represent my most recent calls. I found myself 'butt-dialing' actually, 'knee-dialing' since it happens when I wear cargo pants - I keep the phone in the thigh pocket and it bounces against my knee, then dials a number unless I remember to lock the phone fully before I put it in my pocket. I like the Turbo- - LOVE the quick charge and battery life (28 hours). I used the Turbo for about 3 weeks.

The Nexus - there's nothing better than the Google -Plain Vanilla Android flavor. Basically love the phone despite difficulty in holding the phone and 'thumb-dialing'. The problem I had was not with size so much as with tactile feedback - it's slippery. I just didn't ever feel like I had a good grip on it. I could easily wrap my hands around it it just lacks tactile confidence. Anyway I updated the Nexus to 5.1, unlocked the bootloader and rooted. GREAT phone except for tactile ambivalence. But, I love the size! I can read everything. Having an accessible OS is a big deal to me. Phone manufacturers should always provide a route to unlocked/rooted - charge a few bucks more. I'll pay it.

Same problems though- accidentally dialing recent callers. I switched back and forth between the Turbo and the Nexus twice in the last ten days.

Overall? my take on Lollipop is that though it is different, I don't work as fast or as well with it - I liken it to the difference between a Windows machine and a Yosemite machine (mac). While I like the look of Yosemite, because I've been using right-click context menus and CLI for years, I can run rings around a Mac user doing the same tasks.

Bottom line - This morning, I restored all my data to my XT1080, and swapped SIM cards. Despite its smaller screen and longer charge time, I'm much happier with it than with either the Nexus 6 or the Turbo. The XT1080 is hands - down, a more competent phone! I absolutely love this device.

Did I mention VOLTE? I'm in Los Angeles - great Verizon signal almost EVERYWHERE but VOLTE is dependent on other caller phones and God knows what else. If you're in a marginal 4g/3g area, calls will not dial.

Doesn't work for me. I'm happy to return to the archaic and unhip CDMA/4G interface. Now, I can send photos WHILE talking to a client.

The last straw with Lollipop - Bluetooth - works sometimes doesn't work sometimes. Mostly used with a first generation Jawbone ERA, my BlueBuds X at the gym and a 2008 Mini and 2016 Mercedes E350- The Mini Bluetooth is marginal. Sometimes it sees the phone sometimes not. The Mercedes? Sees the phone but provides one-way audio most of the time. The XT1080 works PERFECTLY with BOTH.

Let's hope Android M is better - Lollipop is a great disappointment. Before feeling like a forgotten stepchild: Spend a week with Lollipop - let go of any newer is better feelings. Be thankful for your 4.4.4.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoodieNation

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
ive made the decision that as soon as moto & verizon come out with a moto g 2015 variant ill be buying it to replace this droid mini that my work gave me. its too laggy, bad battery and has far too many issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    verizon probably needs some time to prepare the bloatwares
    Conversation with Verizon, starting to lose hope

View attachment 3484108

Oh please Verizon tier one support doesn't know ****. Means nothing we will get lollipop.

sent from "my kungfu is stronger then yours" XT1080
    In case anyone wants the latest info, here is David Schuster's (Motorola Mobility)reply to my asking about the 2013 Droid line up with regards to Lollipop: David Schuster
    12:10 PM+
    https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts

Scott.... with respect the 2013 DROID Ultra family of devices... we are running into some "partner support" issues for the Lollipop upgrade. We are actively trying to work through these issue and I will update you guys as soon as I have more information. Sorry about not having clearer direction for you but my hands are a little tied at the moment until we work through the issue with our partner.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

In case anyone wants the latest info, here is David Schuster's (Motorola Mobility)reply to my asking about the 2013 Droid line up with regards to Lollipop: David Schuster
    12:10 PM+
    https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts

Scott.... with respect the 2013 DROID Ultra family of devices... we are running into some "partner support" issues for the Lollipop upgrade. We are actively trying to work through these issue and I will update you guys as soon as I have more information. Sorry about not having clearer direction for you but my hands are a little tied at the moment until we work through the issue with our partner.

So Verizon is the culprit who is once again "humping us"...
    If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it won't matter at this point considering the age of the Ultra/MAXX/Mini, Lollipop ain't gonna turn 'em into barnstorming performance monsters. :D