FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Root guide for 4.4

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
A lot of people in the Q&A forum don't seem to know that there is a root avalible to them, so hopefully this will clear that up.
I haven't seen a standalone post for this root method anywhere, but I'll remove this post if one already exists.


Note
This little guide assumes you know how to install adb and use basic command-line tools.
This only works for 4.4, the 4.4.4 OTA isn't downgradable or exploitable right now, upgrading after root keeps root but not write-protection.

First, If you're on system version 19.6.3, flash your phone back to 19.5.3 with rsdlite. If not, skip this step. (instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...76&postcount=6)

Second, use jcase's pie exploit. (instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...3/post53128101)

Third, use motowpnomo, but executing "adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh" in a separate shell window every time the device reboots (instructions for motowpnomo: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2551113 as for the command, just spam it till it goes through.)

Forth, install your superuser application (and safestrap if you want custom rom functionality)
Fifth, profit!
Last edited by bluebloomers; 20th July 2014 at 10:51 AM.
 
 
20th July 2014, 02:06 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebloomers

Third, use motowpnomo, but executing "adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh" in a separate shell window every time the device reboots (instructions for motowpnomo: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2551113 as for the command, just spam it till it goes through.)

That third step has not worked for me. I tried it more than 5 times in the last two days. I kept one window open with NotoWpNoMo and another one with the Pie exploit (adb command).
The root is temporary and write protection is still 1 (enabled).

Without getting it to 0, I cannot succeed in updating the su binaries.
20th July 2014, 04:58 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Pheonix
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
That bit is pretty tricky, as you need to do it right as adb discovers your device (hence the spaming untill it works).
Also, if you're on a Mac, I heard there's some problems that keep adb from discovering it untill it's disconnected and reconnected.
I would suggest trying again, hopefully it'll work sometime.
20th July 2014, 05:55 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebloomers

That bit is pretty tricky, as you need to do it right as adb discovers your device (hence the spaming untill it works).
Also, if you're on a Mac, I heard there's some problems that keep adb from discovering it untill it's disconnected and reconnected.
I would suggest trying again, hopefully it'll work sometime.

I am not on Mac.
When the "Waiting for ADB" message comes up, it takes exactly 90 seconds for the adb shell command to succeed. So, that is when I simply give the "adb shell .......root.sh" command from the other window. It takes only a few seconds for that script to run.
In the other window, MotoWPNoMo tells me to hang on for some more time and then after another minute or so, I can see the characters CCCC following some ------. Then I have to press Enter to exit the application.
20th July 2014, 07:42 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Pheonix
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
That's weird.
Download it again, make sure Antivirus is off, etc.
If it still bugs out contact the developer cause I haven't the slightest.
28th July 2014, 02:22 AM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Can i use towelpieroot to get root?
28th July 2014, 03:00 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Pheonix
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacias27

Can i use towelpieroot to get root?

Well, yes, but towelpieroot doesn't remove write protection, and still is (technically) a temporary root.
Maybe a combination of towelpieroot and motowpnomo could do the trick, but I haven't heard of it working.
28th July 2014, 07:29 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_u_n

I am not on Mac.
When the "Waiting for ADB" message comes up, it takes exactly 90 seconds for the adb shell command to succeed. So, that is when I simply give the "adb shell .......root.sh" command from the other window. It takes only a few seconds for that script to run.
In the other window, MotoWPNoMo tells me to hang on for some more time and then after another minute or so, I can see the characters CCCC following some ------. Then I have to press Enter to exit the application.

I had the same issue. I took 4.4.4, so, I'll see if somebody cracks it.

If not, oh well. My phone is a lot more reliable without me flashing a ROM every other day

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes