Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,315 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root guide for 4.4

Tip us?

bluebloomers
Old
(Last edited by bluebloomers; 20th July 2014 at 10:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Root guide for 4.4

A lot of people in the Q&A forum don't seem to know that there is a root avalible to them, so hopefully this will clear that up.
I haven't seen a standalone post for this root method anywhere, but I'll remove this post if one already exists.

Note
This little guide assumes you know how to install adb and use basic command-line tools.
This only works for 4.4, the 4.4.4 OTA isn't downgradable or exploitable right now, upgrading after root keeps root but not write-protection.

First, If you're on system version 19.6.3, flash your phone back to 19.5.3 with rsdlite. If not, skip this step. (instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...76&postcount=6)

Second, use jcase's pie exploit. (instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...3/post53128101)

Third, use motowpnomo, but executing "adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh" in a separate shell window every time the device reboots (instructions for motowpnomo: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2551113 as for the command, just spam it till it goes through.)

Forth, install your superuser application (and safestrap if you want custom rom functionality)
Fifth, profit!

s_u_n
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebloomers View Post
Third, use motowpnomo, but executing "adb shell /data/local/atvc/root.sh" in a separate shell window every time the device reboots (instructions for motowpnomo: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2551113 as for the command, just spam it till it goes through.)
That third step has not worked for me. I tried it more than 5 times in the last two days. I kept one window open with NotoWpNoMo and another one with the Pie exploit (adb command).
The root is temporary and write protection is still 1 (enabled).

Without getting it to 0, I cannot succeed in updating the su binaries.
----------------------------------------------
Motorola Defy, Xoom, Razr HD Maxx, Droid Maxx
LG Optimus Vu II F200 || Samsung Note 10.1 || Blackberry Playbook
Raspberry Pi with OpenElec 4 || Panasonic Plasma ST60 series

bluebloomers
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
That bit is pretty tricky, as you need to do it right as adb discovers your device (hence the spaming untill it works).
Also, if you're on a Mac, I heard there's some problems that keep adb from discovering it untill it's disconnected and reconnected.
I would suggest trying again, hopefully it'll work sometime.

s_u_n
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebloomers View Post
That bit is pretty tricky, as you need to do it right as adb discovers your device (hence the spaming untill it works).
Also, if you're on a Mac, I heard there's some problems that keep adb from discovering it untill it's disconnected and reconnected.
I would suggest trying again, hopefully it'll work sometime.
I am not on Mac.
When the "Waiting for ADB" message comes up, it takes exactly 90 seconds for the adb shell command to succeed. So, that is when I simply give the "adb shell .......root.sh" command from the other window. It takes only a few seconds for that script to run.
In the other window, MotoWPNoMo tells me to hang on for some more time and then after another minute or so, I can see the characters CCCC following some ------. Then I have to press Enter to exit the application.
----------------------------------------------
Motorola Defy, Xoom, Razr HD Maxx, Droid Maxx
LG Optimus Vu II F200 || Samsung Note 10.1 || Blackberry Playbook
Raspberry Pi with OpenElec 4 || Panasonic Plasma ST60 series

bluebloomers
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
That's weird.
Download it again, make sure Antivirus is off, etc.
If it still bugs out contact the developer cause I haven't the slightest.

dmacias27
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can i use towelpieroot to get root?

bluebloomers
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacias27 View Post
Can i use towelpieroot to get root?
Well, yes, but towelpieroot doesn't remove write protection, and still is (technically) a temporary root.
Maybe a combination of towelpieroot and motowpnomo could do the trick, but I haven't heard of it working.

ws6formula350
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_u_n View Post
I am not on Mac.
When the "Waiting for ADB" message comes up, it takes exactly 90 seconds for the adb shell command to succeed. So, that is when I simply give the "adb shell .......root.sh" command from the other window. It takes only a few seconds for that script to run.
In the other window, MotoWPNoMo tells me to hang on for some more time and then after another minute or so, I can see the characters CCCC following some ------. Then I have to press Enter to exit the application.
I had the same issue. I took 4.4.4, so, I'll see if somebody cracks it.

If not, oh well. My phone is a lot more reliable without me flashing a ROM every other day

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk