Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,934 Members 37,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Tether 4.4.4 - Requires Root

Tip us?

chrisc2u
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoasty View Post
No it does not, it runs a command after the phone is booted that while requiring root to run does not make any actually changes to the system.

Again, I have a 1 for write protection (meaning its enabled) and SuperSU basically stuck in System and have no issues running the app, making WiFi hot spots, and having devices connected to it.

Make sure you have root survival set up as well, I'm not sure if the update would remove root without it but I don't think you would want to take that chance.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I walked through the root methods and was able to retain is through the upgrades (minus WP). The patch worked and I am now wifi tethering. Thanks for everyone's continued efforts, they are much appreciated!

iKrYpToNiTe
Old
(Last edited by iKrYpToNiTe; 27th July 2014 at 03:22 AM.) Reason: edited out any negative stuff, we discussed it in a PM
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsnake View Post
The app literally applies the same exact exploit as the one I've already released.
The OP stated he was write protected, so he can't copy the build.prop over the stock one. My app doesn't write to the system it runs the /system/bin/setprop command to set the property. The build.prop sets the property on boot but after the phone has booted the build.prop is never read again. So replacing it on write protected devices won't work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iKrYpToNiTe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Topsnake
Old
(Last edited by Topsnake; 27th July 2014 at 02:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 421

DONATE TO ME
Replied in pm

Moral of the story, SEARCH BEFORE POSTING! Chances are it has been asked several times.

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 26,151

DONATE TO ME
Thread cleaned
Keep this thread on topic and all other issues to PMs
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Senior-Mod

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here