Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,530 Members 42,379 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cracked Screen, need some advice

Tip us?

asuhoops8628
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default [Q] Cracked Screen, need some advice

Maxx DE here.

So im an idiot and had a few too many and dropped my phone real hard on the sidewalk and cracked the screen. Its my fault, she went down hard and now had a few small cracks thru the screen. Normally I wouldnt mind, as they are not too noticable, but it seems to have split right through the capacitive buttons down at the bottom of the phone. This is now causing issues with those buttons functioning properly.

I have successfully disabled them and gotten the phone working with on screen nav buttons, but i am still seeing slight issues with the performance of the screen. Mainly i believe because even though the buttons now do not control anything, the phone still can see they are being touched. (my symptoms are the screen will not timeout sometimes, as well as increased battery drain i think from the registering of all the button presses from the crack). Otherwise the screen works fine.

I have been reading up on a few options. Moto wants 200 buckos to repair the phone. I have found the lens/overlay for the screen/digitizer but i have been watching youtubes, and it seems pretty difficult to properly remove the LOCA glue and reapply the new lens, especially for someone who has never repaired a phone before.

So my question to you guys is, has anyone ever just repaired the lens/overlay and had successes? Should i just pony up the 200 and have Moto fix my phone? Are there any reputable repair shops in NYC that members have used (I hear a lot of horror stories about these screen repair places and am hesitant about just trying one out)?

Thanks!
Droid Maxx XT1080 Developer Edition
Droid Maxx XT1080 Retail (Unlocked BL)

Nexus 7

OLD:
Razr Maxx XT912

rekids
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I would send to Moto. Little cash no more worrying about it, don't have ship around for days, don't have to ask a lot of ?, and I know it was done right with original parts not some knock off our quality no name parts. But that's me, my sanity and time is worth the money to me.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to rekids For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

asuhoops8628
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekids View Post
I would send to Moto. Little cash no more worrying about it, don't have ship around for days, don't have to ask a lot of ?, and I know it was done right with original parts not some knock off our quality no name parts. But that's me, my sanity and time is worth the money to me.

Ya, thats what i have been leaning towards more and more, as i research and look at parts. Seems the safe way for self-repair is to buy the whole front LCD+Glass assembly, which in that case is like 20 bucks cheaper.

It just seems redic to me that asurion does not cover developer editions which is crazy since i have been paying for that insurance for the past year. It would have been nice of them to tell me that my phone wasnt covered when i activated it.

Nexus 7

OLD:
Razr Maxx XT912

rekids
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Yeah no kidding. If was paying for the insurance on a phone that wasn't covered I would throw a fit to get refunded. That's like getting a car loan only to find out it's not for your car.

joel_sinbad
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
Well, you can always use ebay, they're like 180 dollar and it includes lcd/digitzer and frame, it should be easy... These droids are relative easy to fix.

asuhoops8628
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_sinbad View Post
Well, you can always use ebay, they're like 180 dollar and it includes lcd/digitzer and frame, it should be easy... These droids are relative easy to fix.
Yeah, i was thinking that, but for $20 more I will prob just send it to moto for piece of mind that the repair will be done right and backed by them.

Nexus 7

OLD:
Razr Maxx XT912