Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] looking at buying a used droid ultra.....

OP iamteachme

7th August 2014, 10:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45

145 posts
More
i am looking on ebay and thinking of buying a used droid ultra i heard of locked bootloader. what exactly does that do ? are we able to install recovery and flash custom roms to all models if not what should i stay away from . thanks for any info.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamteachme For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th August 2014, 04:08 AM   |  #2  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 93

1,185 posts
More
Go to xda's swappa.com you can get a brand new Droid maxx for under $300

You should be able to unlock your bootloader for free very soon due to a new exploit.

Otherwise if the phone ships with 4.4 you can root it. Don't take any updates.

I don't recommend any roms. We have xposed framework to customize factory firmware. Plus you begin to lose functionality like active display, although a few newer apps can try to replicate it.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfriend33 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th August 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
bought a Maxx, says 4.4, can I root it? how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend33

Otherwise if the phone ships with 4.4 you can root it. Don't take any updates.

I don't recommend any roms. We have xposed framework to customize factory firmware. Plus you begin to lose functionality like active display, although a few newer apps can try to replicate it.

Hi! Sorry to hijack but I'm going nuts and looked at thread for hours and hours. I'd like to ask if I'm correct that I have 4.4 and that I can somehow root it. Could you kindly link to a thread that would help me root or get me in the right direction?

I went to Verizon today and got a Droid Maxx xt1080. I want to root it so I can just use Titanium to backup/restore before I load all my apps and settings back up, or decide to take it back and get a phone that I can root ($30 penalty 14 day return). I haven't rooted anything before. It keeps asking me to "Install system update New version: 19.6.3.en.US" and I press Later. About Phone says Android version 4.4 System version 19.5.3.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US.

Thanks so much!
9th August 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #4  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 93

1,185 posts
More
Just go to droid ultra, original android development. It's in the threads. You'll find many explanations.

Use pie exploit by jcase, and then to keep root after reboot you'll also need to use wpnomo.

I had a very hard time with wpnomo. Maybe due to our pcs. I just decided to unlock my bootloader on my 32gb droid maxx earlier in the year.

Dan Rosenberg just presented an exploit that will hopefully work it's way to us. So what I'm saying is, keep delaying update, try pie and wpnomo. If it's too difficult just wait for the bootloader because it's soooo much easier to modify with an unlocked bl.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread