FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

about write protection??

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By arcaios26, Junior Member on 8th December 2015, 03:30 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
OK, so I've been doing some reading around the forums and obviously from what I have gathered there is currently no way to obtain WP off or BL unlock on 4.4.4 atleast not on SU6-7 or higher. Atleast I haven't seen any way so I'm assuming if a method does exist then its being closely guarded for now and not being released.

My question isn't about rather its possible or not, I'm sure there is probably a way just not one that has been found or is publicly available. My question is, assuming you did have an exploit that would allow you to remove the write protection how would you actually go about doing it?

I have some free time and access to a second unused Droid Maxx so I was considering poking around. Looking for exploits in software security is kind of a pass time hobby of mine and I have a little training from previous military training. I by no means am an expert but I figure it can't hurt to play around with the second phone that isn't being used (has problems with speaker not working etc). Anyway, I realized I need to learn a few things and can't seem to find any real info as I was reading around on the forums about how write protect off is actually achieved once an exploit gains access to do so.

Worst case scenario I learn a bit of useless info is the way I see it, kind of like reading an entire write up of how the motorola bootloader was being unlocked before they blocked the exploit in these phones. Doesn't help me but its information and I love to learn new things, even useless ones.

9th December 2015, 02:21 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Weatherford

Donate to Me
More
OK, so I guess nobody who knows cares to help me out. I was hoping to try and find a way to achieve write protect off again but its hard to find a valid exploit and method when I'm not sure what I need to do to turn off write protect. I am assuming its in the kernel somewhere as I can edit system the same way I rooted on 4.4.4 SU6-7. I don't know what needs to be changed or where its at though so not sure how to attack it. Would love some information, not asking for any other assistance.
16th December 2015, 02:53 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaios26

OK, so I guess nobody who knows cares to help me out. I was hoping to try and find a way to achieve write protect off again but its hard to find a valid exploit and method when I'm not sure what I need to do to turn off write protect. I am assuming its in the kernel somewhere as I can edit system the same way I rooted on 4.4.4 SU6-7. I don't know what needs to be changed or where its at though so not sure how to attack it. Would love some information, not asking for any other assistance.

All I now is that wp is set in the kernel of the phone, I think at least
16th December 2015, 02:59 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Weatherford

Donate to Me
More
From what I managed to learn the permanent off was achieved in aboot. I've moved on to exploring the tz kernel, figure if I'm going to spend hours deciphering binaries might as well go for bootloader unlock instead. Don't know if I'll find anything as I'm having to relearn assembly as I go also but who knows
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)