Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Maxx stuck boot looping

OP uniqueflips

12th November 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Hey Guys,

I rooted my device a while ago and everyday had to dismiss the OTA update for the last few months. The other night I accidentally accepted the OTA and know my phone is stuck in a bootloop when connected to power. I'm occasionally able to get into Fastboot mode for RSD to see the phone, ADB will not see the phone. When I attempt to select Recovery or Factory the phone bootloops. I have also tried House of Moto and that didn't work.I have tried flashing all the files located at sbf with no luck. In Fastboot the Device is listed as UNLOCKED with a Status Code: 1.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I flash using House of Moto I get an error for the following:
gpt.bin
motoboot.img
logo.bin
boot.img
recovery.img
system.img
NON-HLOS.bin
Last edited by uniqueflips; 12th November 2014 at 06:42 PM.
12th November 2014, 10:01 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueflips

Hey Guys,

I rooted my device a while ago and everyday had to dismiss the OTA update for the last few months. The other night I accidentally accepted the OTA and know my phone is stuck in a bootloop when connected to power. I'm occasionally able to get into Fastboot mode for RSD to see the phone, ADB will not see the phone. When I attempt to select Recovery or Factory the phone bootloops. I have also tried House of Moto and that didn't work.I have tried flashing all the files located at sbf with no luck. In Fastboot the Device is listed as UNLOCKED with a Status Code: 1.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I flash using House of Moto I get an error for the following:
gpt.bin
motoboot.img
logo.bin
boot.img
recovery.img
system.img
NON-HLOS.bin

Does it ever actually boot up and then just restarts? Or are you never getting to the homescreen?
13th November 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
no home screen
Hi,
It won't even boot loop unless it's connected to power. When it is it just boot loops, tried everything but can't get past the boot loop. Spent countless hours trying to make any progress.
13th November 2014, 04:49 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 26

228 posts
try flashing TWRP from fastboot
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery name.img
if you get into recovery try restoring a nandroid

if that doesnt work, make sure you are flashing the appropriate SBF from the update you were in teh process of taking. My bet is somehow your device got partially updated (bootloader) so you are now unable to flash the SBF you were prevously on. ie. you were on 4.2.2, and took the 4.4 update, you need to flash the SBF for 4.4, not 4.2.2
13th November 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4

34 posts
Once you get back up and running, make sure you disable the Moto OTA app using titanium or the like. That should prevent the phone from trying to take an update again.
14th November 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Still no luck
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm not sure which firmware it was trying to install so I installed all the firmwares available via House of Moto and still no luck. Tried performing a Full and Keep Data and still the phone will continue to boot loop. One thing I did notice during the install using House of Moto I see the following error multiple times:
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
I got this error on all 5 firmwares.
Any ideas...
14th November 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #7  

228 posts
Quote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm not sure which firmware it was trying to install so I installed all the firmwares available via House of Moto and still no luck. Tried performing a Full and Keep Data and still the phone will continue to boot loop. One thing I did notice during the install using House of Moto I see the following error multiple times:
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
I got this error on all 5 firmwares.
Any ideas...

what version of android were you on prior to this happening. What version was the OTA attempting to update you to?
14th November 2014, 04:43 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
I think I was on Android 4.4 Blur_Version.19.5.3.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US, not 100% sure what it was trying to install 4.4.4 or 4.4 19.6.3.
Tried House of Moto again and on the 4.2.2 12.15.15 and 4.4.4 I don't get the (bootloader) Variable not supported! error. The phone still boot loops.
14th November 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #9  

228 posts
Quote:

I think I was on Android 4.4 Blur_Version.19.5.3.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US, not 100% sure what it was trying to install 4.4.4 or 4.4 19.6.3.
Tried House of Moto again and on the 4.2.2 12.15.15 and 4.4.4 I don't get the (bootloader) Variable not supported! error. The phone still boot loops.

have you tried with the latest version of RSD lite?

If so make sure you edit the XML file to remove the part about erasing userdata

lets try this too... go to sbf.droid-developers.org and download this file for the maxx "Android 4.4.4
Blur_Version.21.11.21.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US"

Install the latest moto device manager and RSD lite, then try flashing (might erase userdata)

If that does not work, you can manually flash each file in fastboot, lmk if any of that works

last Q, do you have a motorola factory cable?
Last edited by asuhoops8628; 14th November 2014 at 05:58 PM.
14th November 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Tried with and without removing the getvar file and no luck, still stuck in an endless boot loop when connected to power. ADB still doesn't see the device even in Fastboot mode. Never flashed each file in fastboot individual doesn't that require ADB?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread