Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 44,015 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Messaging app force closing

Tip us?

mulhiny
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 235
Default [Q] Messaging app force closing

Hey all..I have a completely stock and fully updated Droid Maxx...today my messaging app started force closing upon every incoming picture mail or if I try to send one.

Anyone else experience this?
The only fix I came up with is using hangouts.
"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher." ~ WD

rmoney
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I had this exact same issue.

Fixed it by wiping the app data/cache. Make sure to delete all your SMS threads as well.

I used the stock messaging app, and was able to backup all my texts with an app. Just had to make sure everything was wiped within the app before restoring.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmoney For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mulhiny
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoney View Post
I had this exact same issue.

Fixed it by wiping the app data/cache. Make sure to delete all your SMS threads as well.

I used the stock messaging app, and was able to backup all my texts with an app. Just had to make sure everything was wiped within the app before restoring.
Hmmm...I did try wiping the data/cache but I'm not sure if I deleted the texts first...I'll give it another try..

Actually, I disabled the stock app and switched to Hangouts in the meantime. It's really not that bad, so if I can't fix the stock app I'll be OK. Just hate having an issue with a stock phone....
"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher." ~ WD

rmoney
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Deleting all the existing threads was key for me, just wiping the cache didn't fix the issue.

My guess is some MMS got corrupted and the app was no longer able to handle it.

I didn't try changing my primary app since I like stock and the Chrome plugin.