Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 39,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] stock apps on mini reappear on reboot

Tip us?
 
cegfault
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Default [Q] stock apps on mini reappear on reboot

Sorry if this is the wrong forum; I'm new here.

I have a rooted Droid Mini I've been playing around with, and I'm trying to figure out how to remove stock apps. Should be pretty simple, since I'm rooted:

Code:
$ adb shell
shell@obakem:/ $ su
root@obakem:/ # mount -o rw,remount /system
root@obakem:/ # rm /system/app/vznavigator.apk
Problem is when I reboot the phone, they all come back! It's not just vznavigator.apk, but literally any stock app. What am I missing?
 
Caseyk621
Old
#2  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 458
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegfault View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum; I'm new here.

I have a rooted Droid Mini I've been playing around with, and I'm trying to figure out how to remove stock apps. Should be pretty simple, since I'm rooted:

Code:
$ adb shell
shell@obakem:/ $ su
root@obakem:/ # mount -o rw,remount /system
root@obakem:/ # rm /system/app/vznavigator.apk
Problem is when I reboot the phone, they all come back! It's not just vznavigator.apk, but literally any stock app. What am I missing?
You don't have write protection off. So any changes made to system will revert on reboot.

Sent from My Droid Ultra
 
cegfault
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
You don't have write protection off. So any changes made to system will revert on reboot.
Well, that was noob mistake. *facepalm*

Although now, when I follow the instructions here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2444954), I'm getting this error (with no help from google):

Code:
$ adb install PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk
2407 KB/s (316578 bytes in 0.128s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_UNEXPECTED_EXCEPTION]
 
Caseyk621
Old
#4  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 458
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegfault View Post
Well, that was noob mistake. *facepalm*

Although now, when I follow the instructions here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2444954), I'm getting this error (with no help from google):

Code:
$ adb install PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk
2407 KB/s (316578 bytes in 0.128s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_UNEXPECTED_EXCEPTION]
What system version are you on? That exploit has been patched long ago.

Sent from My Droid Ultra
 
cegfault
Old
(Last edited by cegfault; 23rd August 2014 at 04:39 AM.) Reason: clarification
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
What system version are you on? That exploit has been patched long ago.
Verizon Droid Mini
Android 4.2.2
12.15.15.obakem_verizon

Kernel is 3.4.42-g198aafd-00016-g4139295 if it matters.

From what I read the exploit worked on 4.2.2 12.15.15, but the upgrade to 4.4 patched the exploit, so I should be fine. I could be mistaken, thought.
 
Caseyk621
Old
#6  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 147
Posts: 458
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegfault View Post
Verizon Droid Mini
Android 4.2.2
12.15.15.obakem_verizon

Kernel is 3.4.42-g198aafd-00016-g4139295 if it matters.

From what I read the exploit worked on 4.2.2 12.15.15, but the upgrade to 4.4 patched the exploit, so I should be fine. I could be mistaken, thought.
Oh that one might be RockMyMoto.... Maybe it slapmymoto? Def pwnmymoto won't work on that.

Sent from My Droid Ultra
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Speed Up Jenkins Configuration Process with TSJ

When you are theleader of a largedevelopment project, Gerrit isn’t the only tool that … more

AutoData Regulates Your Connectivity to Save Battery Life

It’s absolutely no secret that battery life is somewhat of anundoingformany … more

Tale of the Great Recoveries

About a week ago, our fantastic writer and my esteemed colleague Tom embarked on a mission to learnthe vast and … more

How to Make Your GPS Lock Faster – XDA Developer TV

Nothing is more frustrating than opening up Google Maps and it taking way to long … more