Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more

Unlock Hidden Camera Settings on Your Moto G

At one point in time or another, weve all gotten very fiddly with the camera settings on our … more

XDA Partners with LG for Developer Challenge

Many Android enthusiasts know the name LG. LG is the maker of some Google Nexus devices and some … more

Upgraded from Droid 4 to Mini. Can you help me solve some annoyances?

18th August 2014, 07:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Wasnt sure where to put this, seems like the Mini is usually included with things involving the Ultra.

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Droid Mini with Verizon. Thankfully the onscreen keyboard is far superior to my Droid 4.

It is currently unhacked, rooted, etc...All stock, aside from the handful of apps I installed for regular use.

1. my D4 I could freely turn the GPS/Location off/on with the power bar. Turning it back on just sent it right back into working operation. On my Mini it will not let me turn it off completely with the power bar, instead I am forced to go into settings and disable it. That then prompts warnings about how the world will blow up if my phone doesnt know my location. I am then prompted to agree to the notices every time I re-enable GPS/Location. Is there any way to make it behave "silently" like on my D4?

2. Sync and data seems "spotty". The Mini will show full 4g connection, but apps will not sync or update like they would on my D4. Gmail, G-Voice, Facebook, etc. I have to go in and manually update them or I will recieve notifications hours afterwards, and usually all at once. Even browsing Facebook via the browser is spotty. Is there some way to force these things to stay up to date like on my D4? Texting with g-voice and FB worked nearly instantly on the D4. I'm assuming there is some sort of data and battery preservation going on that might need disabled? I do notice that when I drag the menu down from the top it shows my "4g" in Orange, not sure what that means?

3. Chrome browser doesnt seem "touch-friendly". I preferred using the android browser on my D4, and it had the touch menu that would pop up from the sides and allow me to easily move around the web. Chrome seems to browse the web much much bettter, but lacking those touch controls is annoying.

4. The camera app is lacking in options that my D4 had, is an aftermarket camera app my only option?

5. I had an app on my D4 that is apparently no longer available. Is it possible to save it from the D4 and then install it on the Mini?

6. FoxFi wifi no longer works, but it seems to be a known issue at this point.

Overall I'm very happy with the Droid Mini, great performance. I wish it had an SD slot, but otherwise quite happy!
18th August 2014, 08:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 506

2,499 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenk_

Wasnt sure where to put this, seems like the Mini is usually included with things involving the Ultra.

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Droid Mini with Verizon. Thankfully the onscreen keyboard is far superior to my Droid 4.

It is currently unhacked, rooted, etc...All stock, aside from the handful of apps I installed for regular use.

1. my D4 I could freely turn the GPS/Location off/on with the power bar. Turning it back on just sent it right back into working operation. On my Mini it will not let me turn it off completely with the power bar, instead I am forced to go into settings and disable it. That then prompts warnings about how the world will blow up if my phone doesnt know my location. I am then prompted to agree to the notices every time I re-enable GPS/Location. Is there any way to make it behave "silently" like on my D4?

2. Sync and data seems "spotty". The Mini will show full 4g connection, but apps will not sync or update like they would on my D4. Gmail, G-Voice, Facebook, etc. I have to go in and manually update them or I will recieve notifications hours afterwards, and usually all at once. Even browsing Facebook via the browser is spotty. Is there some way to force these things to stay up to date like on my D4? Texting with g-voice and FB worked nearly instantly on the D4. I'm assuming there is some sort of data and battery preservation going on that might need disabled? I do notice that when I drag the menu down from the top it shows my "4g" in Orange, not sure what that means?

3. Chrome browser doesnt seem "touch-friendly". I preferred using the android browser on my D4, and it had the touch menu that would pop up from the sides and allow me to easily move around the web. Chrome seems to browse the web much much bettter, but lacking those touch controls is annoying.

4. The camera app is lacking in options that my D4 had, is an aftermarket camera app my only option?

5. I had an app on my D4 that is apparently no longer available. Is it possible to save it from the D4 and then install it on the Mini?

Overall I'm very happy with the Droid Mini, great performance. I wish it had an SD slot, but otherwise quite happy!

See my "no root" links. Start with notification toggles for easy settings access. My signature button.
19th August 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

See my "no root" links. Start with notification toggles for easy settings access. My signature button.

Thanks!

Anybody else have some input please?
21st August 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,682

1,959 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenk_

Since you requested additional input...

1. Without root, there is no "silent" method of doing this. If you were rooted - easy.

2. No idea. I've heard of a few people having such "sync" issues, and a full reset or a full SBF to stock solved it for them. Haven't had any sync issues personally.

3. Try another browser. Lots of people recommend "Boat browser"

4. AFAIK, no aftermarket camera will be one bit better than the stock camera app.

5. Try to download the APK from somewhere online and manually install it with ADB... Again, if you were rooted, you could easily backup the app from your old phone and restore with TiBu or similar.

6. Nothing you can do about this without root. You can use USB tethering - PDAnet or Clockworkmod tether will work for you.

Good Luck
21st August 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Since you requested additional input...

1. Without root, there is no "silent" method of doing this. If you were rooted - easy.

2. No idea. I've heard of a few people having such "sync" issues, and a full reset or a full SBF to stock solved it for them. Haven't had any sync issues personally.

3. Try another browser. Lots of people recommend "Boat browser"

4. AFAIK, no aftermarket camera will be one bit better than the stock camera app.

5. Try to download the APK from somewhere online and manually install it with ADB... Again, if you were rooted, you could easily backup the app from your old phone and restore with TiBu or similar.

6. Nothing you can do about this without root. You can use USB tethering - PDAnet or Clockworkmod tether will work for you.

Good Luck

Thank you very much!! I am not opposed to rooting the D4 or the Mini. I had my Moto Droid rooted and rommed, so its not completely new territory, i'm just out of the loop lately.

My data seems to have stabilized, think it was just a few reboots needed, but still not trusting it yet. I'll look into the other items you mentioned as well.
23rd August 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 315

1,312 posts
4. The google camera app is quite good, and has exposure controls, etc., that the stock Moto camera lacks. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
27th August 2014, 06:11 AM   |  #7  
Flag MAYFIELD, KY
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald

4. The google camera app is quite good, and has exposure controls, etc., that the stock Moto camera lacks. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera

I completely agree I use this app on almost all my devices.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread