Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 44,047 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgraded from Droid 4 to Mini. Can you help me solve some annoyances?

Tip us?
 
rubenk_
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2008
Default Upgraded from Droid 4 to Mini. Can you help me solve some annoyances?

Wasnt sure where to put this, seems like the Mini is usually included with things involving the Ultra.

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Droid Mini with Verizon. Thankfully the onscreen keyboard is far superior to my Droid 4.

It is currently unhacked, rooted, etc...All stock, aside from the handful of apps I installed for regular use.


1. my D4 I could freely turn the GPS/Location off/on with the power bar. Turning it back on just sent it right back into working operation. On my Mini it will not let me turn it off completely with the power bar, instead I am forced to go into settings and disable it. That then prompts warnings about how the world will blow up if my phone doesnt know my location. I am then prompted to agree to the notices every time I re-enable GPS/Location. Is there any way to make it behave "silently" like on my D4?


2. Sync and data seems "spotty". The Mini will show full 4g connection, but apps will not sync or update like they would on my D4. Gmail, G-Voice, Facebook, etc. I have to go in and manually update them or I will recieve notifications hours afterwards, and usually all at once. Even browsing Facebook via the browser is spotty. Is there some way to force these things to stay up to date like on my D4? Texting with g-voice and FB worked nearly instantly on the D4. I'm assuming there is some sort of data and battery preservation going on that might need disabled? I do notice that when I drag the menu down from the top it shows my "4g" in Orange, not sure what that means?


3. Chrome browser doesnt seem "touch-friendly". I preferred using the android browser on my D4, and it had the touch menu that would pop up from the sides and allow me to easily move around the web. Chrome seems to browse the web much much bettter, but lacking those touch controls is annoying.


4. The camera app is lacking in options that my D4 had, is an aftermarket camera app my only option?


5. I had an app on my D4 that is apparently no longer available. Is it possible to save it from the D4 and then install it on the Mini?


6. FoxFi wifi no longer works, but it seems to be a known issue at this point.


Overall I'm very happy with the Droid Mini, great performance. I wish it had an SD slot, but otherwise quite happy!
 
aviwdoowks
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 476
Posts: 2,382
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenk_ View Post
Wasnt sure where to put this, seems like the Mini is usually included with things involving the Ultra.

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Droid Mini with Verizon. Thankfully the onscreen keyboard is far superior to my Droid 4.

It is currently unhacked, rooted, etc...All stock, aside from the handful of apps I installed for regular use.


1. my D4 I could freely turn the GPS/Location off/on with the power bar. Turning it back on just sent it right back into working operation. On my Mini it will not let me turn it off completely with the power bar, instead I am forced to go into settings and disable it. That then prompts warnings about how the world will blow up if my phone doesnt know my location. I am then prompted to agree to the notices every time I re-enable GPS/Location. Is there any way to make it behave "silently" like on my D4?


2. Sync and data seems "spotty". The Mini will show full 4g connection, but apps will not sync or update like they would on my D4. Gmail, G-Voice, Facebook, etc. I have to go in and manually update them or I will recieve notifications hours afterwards, and usually all at once. Even browsing Facebook via the browser is spotty. Is there some way to force these things to stay up to date like on my D4? Texting with g-voice and FB worked nearly instantly on the D4. I'm assuming there is some sort of data and battery preservation going on that might need disabled? I do notice that when I drag the menu down from the top it shows my "4g" in Orange, not sure what that means?


3. Chrome browser doesnt seem "touch-friendly". I preferred using the android browser on my D4, and it had the touch menu that would pop up from the sides and allow me to easily move around the web. Chrome seems to browse the web much much bettter, but lacking those touch controls is annoying.


4. The camera app is lacking in options that my D4 had, is an aftermarket camera app my only option?


5. I had an app on my D4 that is apparently no longer available. Is it possible to save it from the D4 and then install it on the Mini?


6. FoxFi wifi no longer works, but it seems to be a known issue at this point.


Overall I'm very happy with the Droid Mini, great performance. I wish it had an SD slot, but otherwise quite happy!
See my "no root" links. Start with notification toggles for easy settings access. My signature button.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
 
rubenk_
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
See my "no root" links. Start with notification toggles for easy settings access. My signature button.
Thanks!

Anybody else have some input please?
 
samwathegreat
Old
#4  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,565
Posts: 1,869
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenk_ View Post
Wasnt sure where to put this, seems like the Mini is usually included with things involving the Ultra.

So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the Droid Mini with Verizon. Thankfully the onscreen keyboard is far superior to my Droid 4.

It is currently unhacked, rooted, etc...All stock, aside from the handful of apps I installed for regular use.


1. my D4 I could freely turn the GPS/Location off/on with the power bar. Turning it back on just sent it right back into working operation. On my Mini it will not let me turn it off completely with the power bar, instead I am forced to go into settings and disable it. That then prompts warnings about how the world will blow up if my phone doesnt know my location. I am then prompted to agree to the notices every time I re-enable GPS/Location. Is there any way to make it behave "silently" like on my D4?


2. Sync and data seems "spotty". The Mini will show full 4g connection, but apps will not sync or update like they would on my D4. Gmail, G-Voice, Facebook, etc. I have to go in and manually update them or I will recieve notifications hours afterwards, and usually all at once. Even browsing Facebook via the browser is spotty. Is there some way to force these things to stay up to date like on my D4? Texting with g-voice and FB worked nearly instantly on the D4. I'm assuming there is some sort of data and battery preservation going on that might need disabled? I do notice that when I drag the menu down from the top it shows my "4g" in Orange, not sure what that means?


3. Chrome browser doesnt seem "touch-friendly". I preferred using the android browser on my D4, and it had the touch menu that would pop up from the sides and allow me to easily move around the web. Chrome seems to browse the web much much bettter, but lacking those touch controls is annoying.


4. The camera app is lacking in options that my D4 had, is an aftermarket camera app my only option?


5. I had an app on my D4 that is apparently no longer available. Is it possible to save it from the D4 and then install it on the Mini?


6. FoxFi wifi no longer works, but it seems to be a known issue at this point.


Overall I'm very happy with the Droid Mini, great performance. I wish it had an SD slot, but otherwise quite happy!
Since you requested additional input...

1. Without root, there is no "silent" method of doing this. If you were rooted - easy.

2. No idea. I've heard of a few people having such "sync" issues, and a full reset or a full SBF to stock solved it for them. Haven't had any sync issues personally.

3. Try another browser. Lots of people recommend "Boat browser"

4. AFAIK, no aftermarket camera will be one bit better than the stock camera app.

5. Try to download the APK from somewhere online and manually install it with ADB... Again, if you were rooted, you could easily backup the app from your old phone and restore with TiBu or similar.

6. Nothing you can do about this without root. You can use USB tethering - PDAnet or Clockworkmod tether will work for you.

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
 
rubenk_
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Since you requested additional input...

1. Without root, there is no "silent" method of doing this. If you were rooted - easy.

2. No idea. I've heard of a few people having such "sync" issues, and a full reset or a full SBF to stock solved it for them. Haven't had any sync issues personally.

3. Try another browser. Lots of people recommend "Boat browser"

4. AFAIK, no aftermarket camera will be one bit better than the stock camera app.

5. Try to download the APK from somewhere online and manually install it with ADB... Again, if you were rooted, you could easily backup the app from your old phone and restore with TiBu or similar.

6. Nothing you can do about this without root. You can use USB tethering - PDAnet or Clockworkmod tether will work for you.

Good Luck
Thank you very much!! I am not opposed to rooting the D4 or the Mini. I had my Moto Droid rooted and rommed, so its not completely new territory, i'm just out of the loop lately.

My data seems to have stabilized, think it was just a few reboots needed, but still not trusting it yet. I'll look into the other items you mentioned as well.
 
doogald
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 1,302
Join Date: May 2010
4. The google camera app is quite good, and has exposure controls, etc., that the stock Moto camera lacks. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
 
phukt1288
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MAYFIELD, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
4. The google camera app is quite good, and has exposure controls, etc., that the stock Moto camera lacks. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
I completely agree I use this app on almost all my devices.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Discover and Sample the Latest Billboard Music Hits with Billy

Music is a passion that transcends age, gender, race, culture, and geographic … more

Speed Up Jenkins Configuration Process with TSJ

When you are theleader of a largedevelopment project, Gerrit isn’t the only tool that … more

AutoData Regulates Your Connectivity to Save Battery Life

It’s absolutely no secret that battery life is somewhat of anundoingformany … more

Tale of the Great Recoveries

About a week ago, our fantastic writer and my esteemed colleague Tom embarked on a mission to learnthe vast and … more