Q&A/T For [Kitkat] CM11 Android 4.4.4 for the Droid X

Search This thread

Chris R

Apr 29, 2014
Building CM11 for Droid-X from Source

I am attempting to build this unoffical CM11 for Droid-X but am stuck at the lunch step. cm_shadow-userdebug doesn't seem to be available. When I specify "lunch cm_shadow-userdebug" on the commandline it says "Trying dependencies-only mode on a non-existing device tree?"

I followed the "Getting Started" steps in github.com/MotoDX-CM11/android to obtain the source code, then looked for build instructions. I have gone through the pages on building CM for Droid-X, but they really target CM-7.

I am building on Ubuntu 12.04, and have apt-get installed the required features from build instruction pages on wiki.cyanogenmod.org and source.android.com. However, I wasn't able to install phablet-tools.

A little further guidance on getting started building this would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
I am attempting to build this unoffical CM11 for Droid-X but am stuck at the lunch step. cm_shadow-userdebug doesn't seem to be available. When I specify "lunch cm_shadow-userdebug" on the commandline it says "Trying dependencies-only mode on a non-existing device tree?"

I followed the "Getting Started" steps in github.com/MotoDX-CM11/android to obtain the source code, then looked for build instructions. I have gone through the pages on building CM for Droid-X, but they really target CM-7.

I am building on Ubuntu 12.04, and have apt-get installed the required features from build instruction pages on wiki.cyanogenmod.org and source.android.com. However, I wasn't able to install phablet-tools.

A little further guidance on getting started building this would be very much appreciated.
Idk about your setup and I haven't tried to build for DX but try . build/envsetup.sh && brunch (idk if you need to say shadow or cm_shadow or the local_manifest or what but usually its the device codename)
Or try
. build/envsetup.sh && brunch (whatever goes here) time make bacon -j (j indicates how many cores which by default I think is 2...)

That's what I use to initialize builds on Ubuntu 14...check if you're running jdk 6+ because you're building kk not ICS or GB lol in terminal type java version

This may be irrelevant here but just trying to help...why are you trying to build cm11? Why not just flash m.ksy's build? Or are you attempting a kang? ;)

Sent from my Paranoid Bionic

Reactions: Chris R

Chris R

Apr 29, 2014
This may be irrelevant here but just trying to help...why are you trying to build cm11? Why not just flash m.ksy's build? Or are you attempting a kang? ;)

I want to put KitKat on my DM3730 platform that is not a phone. (The DM3730 is quite similar to the OMAP3630 in the Droid-X). Building this looks to me like an ideal first step.

Chris R

Apr 29, 2014
Still struggling to build CM11 for Droid-X

I'm still working to build CM11 for Droid-X as described in github.com:MotoDX-CM11/android, but as a newbie I'm struggling.
After I repo sync the tree, I copy mb526_cm10.1_defconfig to shadow_cm11_defconfig in shadow-kernel/arch/arm/configs
In vendor/cm I do ./get-prebuilts
I then run lunch cm_shadow-userdebug which outputs:
Trying dependencies-only mode on a non-existing device tree?

============================================
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=4.4.4
CM_VERSION=11-20141007-UNOFFICIAL-shadow
TARGET_PRODUCT=cm_shadow
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv7-a-neon
TARGET_CPU_VARIANT=cortex-a8
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-3.13.0-36-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-12.04-precise
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=KTU84Q
OUT_DIR=/home/chrisr/cyanogenmod/out
============================================
I then run the m command, which runs for a while (albeit with some warnings) but finally outputs
Checking API: checkapi-current
/home/chrisr/cyanogenmod/out/target/common/obj/PACKAGING/public_api.txt:21299: error 5: Added public field android.provider.Settings.System.VOLUME_07
/home/chrisr/cyanogenmod/out/target/common/obj/PACKAGING/public_api.txt:21300: error 5: Added public field android.provider.Settings.System.VOLUME_08
/home/chrisr/cyanogenmod/out/target/common/obj/PACKAGING/public_api.txt:21301: error 5: Added public field android.provider.Settings.System.VOLUME_09
/home/chrisr/cyanogenmod/out/target/common/obj/PACKAGING/public_api.txt:21304: error 5: Added public field android.provider.Settings.System.VOLUME_FM

You have tried to change the API from what has been previously approved.

To make these errors go away, you have two choices:
1) You can add "@hide" javadoc comments to the methods, etc. listed in the
errors above.

2) You can update current.txt by executing the following command:
make update-api
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NO. NO. STOP BEING LAZY. SERIOUSLY.
DO NOT DO THIS in CM. THIS IS A LIE. IF YOU DO THIS I WILL HATE YOU.
USE OPTION #1.
-Koush

To submit the revised current.txt to the main Android repository,
you will need approval.

make: *** [/home/chrisr/cyanogenmod/out/target/common/obj/PACKAGING/checkapi-current-timestamp] Error 38
I assume that being hated by Koush is undesirable, but the @hide is already in the frameworks/base/core/java/android/provider/Settings.java file where VOLUME_xx are declared. I have searched for solutions, but no one seems to be having this issue.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
I'm still working to build CM11 for Droid-X as described in github.com:MotoDX-CM11/android, but as a newbie I'm struggling.
After I repo sync the tree, I copy mb526_cm10.1_defconfig to shadow_cm11_defconfig in shadow-kernel/arch/arm/configs
In vendor/cm I do ./get-prebuilts
I then run lunch cm_shadow-userdebug which outputs:

I then run the m command, which runs for a while (albeit with some warnings) but finally outputs

I assume that being hated by Koush is undesirable, but the @hide is already in the frameworks/base/core/java/android/provider/Settings.java file where VOLUME_xx are declared. I have searched for solutions, but no one seems to be having this issue.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Try brunch....also run ccache -M 0 before the build. Mine didn't get errors like yours did but I'm not entirely sure mine built right because in /out I don't have any apks just libs and recovery and something else.

Tap'd from my PAC'd Bionic
Waka Waka Waka

Reactions: Chris R

Chris R

Apr 29, 2014
Try brunch....also run ccache -M 0 before the build.
When I do "brunch cm_shadow-userdebug", I get "make: *** No rule to make target `bacon'. Stop."
I've searched for a solution to that, but the closest thing I found was a statement after they'd resolved it that it was an internal or local configuration thing. Nothing about what it actually was.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------
I don't have a Makefile in the top directory, so that's probably the immediate reason I get the error, but why wouldn't there be a Makefile?

Last edited:

Chris R

Apr 29, 2014
I copied build/core/root.mk to Makefile because .repo/manifest.xml has the entry
Code:
  <project path="build" name="CyanogenMod/android_build" groups="pdk" >
    <copyfile src="core/root.mk" dest="Makefile" />
  </project>
It's now building (with a gazillion warnings), but I'm not sure what the result will be...
Is that where the Makefile should have come from? Is that the right approach?

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
When I do "brunch cm_shadow-userdebug", I get "make: *** No rule to make target `bacon'. Stop."
I've searched for a solution to that, but the closest thing I found was a statement after they'd resolved it that it was an internal or local configuration thing. Nothing about what it actually was.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------
I don't have a Makefile in the top directory, so that's probably the immediate reason I get the error, but why wouldn't there be a Makefile?

I copied build/core/root.mk to Makefile because .repo/manifest.xml has the entry
Code:
  <project path="build" name="CyanogenMod/android_build" groups="pdk" >
    <copyfile src="core/root.mk" dest="Makefile" />
  </project>
It's now building (with a gazillion warnings), but I'm not sure what the result will be...
Is that where the Makefile should have come from? Is that the right approach?
Is your build environment correct? Try building for hammerhead. If it won't build for a nexus.....more than likely your system isn't setup correctly. Is this on a VM or dual-boot?

Waka Waka Waka

Chris R

Apr 29, 2014
The Build Worked!

Is this on a VM or dual-boot?
It's a VM, running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It actually completed a build and generated cm-11-20141008-UNOFFICIAL-shadow.zip, and it seems to run on the Droid-X. :D

Sigh! It doesn't work well yet. Camera app can't connect to the camera and videos don't playback yet. :(

Last edited:

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
It's a VM, running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It actually completed a build and generated cm-11-20141008-UNOFFICIAL-shadow.zip, and it seems to run on the Droid-X. :D
Congrats on finally getting it to build! Here's the link to the prebuilt VM I use based off of Ubuntu 14, if you're interested. It builds and runs good. Has a swap already set up and the guy debloated the system and installed a few extra packages. Guake is my favorite and really the only thing it needs extra IMO is Chrome-Dev but that's just me lol. If you'd prefer a legit full Ubuntu to build on he has a guide to setup Ubuntu 14.04. I tried using that, but the prebuilt VM was much faster for me.

http://nathanpfry.com/2014/01/04/vm-builduntu-preconfigured-virtual-machine-for-android-compiling

Waka Waka Waka

garrubal

Oct 11, 2014
CM11 Android 4.4.4 worked on Droid X... will it work on HTC Incredible

I followed the steps to install CM11 Android 4.4.4 on a Droid X and it worked. However, I also have an HTC Incredible, and was wondering if the same method would work on it.

Based on the video link below, CM11 Android 4.4.2 was installed on HTC Incredible. Not sure if there would be a compatibility issue by moving up to 4.4.4. Thanks.

(Since I'm a noob, I can't post a link... but the youtube video is titled "HTC Droid Incredible CM11 rom install KIT KAT 4.4.2" by rootjunky)

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
I followed the steps to install CM11 Android 4.4.4 on a Droid X and it worked. However, I also have an HTC Incredible, and was wondering if the same method would work on it.

Based on the video link below, CM11 Android 4.4.2 was installed on HTC Incredible. Not sure if there would be a compatibility issue by moving up to 4.4.4. Thanks.

(Since I'm a noob, I can't post a link... but the youtube video is titled "HTC Droid Incredible CM11 rom install KIT KAT 4.4.2" by rootjunky)
You need a ROM specifically built for your device. This ROM isn't compatible with your device because it's built for the droid x. Look for one for your device on xda.

Tap'd from my Bionic

Reactions: sd_shadow

Dogora

Oct 12, 2014
Vienna, VA
swipe gone on 20140930?

So far, I've been really happy with CM11 on my phone as a daily driver, even with the daily reboots.

Today, I flashed the latest 20140930 version and the only thing I've found so far is the swipe typing on the built-in keyboard has disappeared. Poke typing works fine. I loaded up the Google keyboard from the Play store which works as expected. The built-in keyboard is preferable, obviously.

I tried rebooting a couple of times with no change. I have played with Privacy Guard a bunch lately, but I thought that wouldn't do that.

Am I the only one to experience this? Now, I was somewhat lazy and didn't wipe anything in TWRP when reflashing, but that worked fine last time.

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
So far, I've been really happy with CM11 on my phone as a daily driver, even with the daily reboots.

Today, I flashed the latest 20140930 version and the only thing I've found so far is the swipe typing on the built-in keyboard has disappeared. Poke typing works fine. I loaded up the Google keyboard from the Play store which works as expected. The built-in keyboard is preferable, obviously.

I tried rebooting a couple of times with no change. I have played with Privacy Guard a bunch lately, but I thought that wouldn't do that.

Am I the only one to experience this? Now, I was somewhat lazy and didn't wipe anything in TWRP when reflashing, but that worked fine last time.
Lol I always dirty flash everything (except cross-rom flashing) but if u experience bugs and can't troubleshoot out of it a clean install is advised.

Tap'd from my Bionic

Sep 20, 2014
Droid x, CM11 ROM Help?

I have a Droid X and I flashed the CM11 ROM on this thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670547

But my data and settings are wiped on reboot. The thread is almost 300 pages long, so it would take a long time to hunt down the final, stable download. Can someone help me out? I really want Kitkat on my DX.
Thanks

Oggie7797

Jan 10, 2014
Jordan, Arkansas
I have a Droid X and I flashed the CM11 ROM on this thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670547

But my data and settings are wiped on reboot. The thread is almost 300 pages long, so it would take a long time to hunt down the final, stable download. Can someone help me out? I really want Kitkat on my DX.
Thanks
Lol....is this your first ROM flash? When flashing ROMs it wipes all user data. Cm11 is stable only real bugs would be it random reboots sometimes. If you can't live with that @sd_shadow has a droidx bible with all ROMs and how-tos lol

Tap'd from my Bionic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

[Kitkat] CM11 Android 4.4.4 for the Droid X

Click link here>> (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670547) <<Click link here

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help

It is always best to thank a ROM OP, in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

Please keep discussion focused, on the topic described in the OP
    I got HDMI video out to work on cm-11-20140713-UNOFFICIAL-shadow with realHDMI app.
    took a minute or more
    @kawkaw2 you really don't get this do you? Cwm=an old outdated recovery to flash ROMs. Twrp=the future of after market recovery.

It is literally impossible to mess up your droid x. Unless you start messing with partitions..... @m.ksy ;) ........which I highly doubt you will be doing, you'll be fine. If you mess up and can't boot then you can ALWAYS boot into bootloader mode and use a .sbf to go back to stock. If you need an sbf just in case, @sd_shadow is our lil wizard :) he has a Google doc that even the noobiest of noobs can use to download and use guides. Its made in a way that you'd have to be either blind, or dead, to not be able to do. With that said, enjoy and have fun. Lol

Tap'd from my Bionic
    Howdy :)

I've begun researching the possibility of taking my clunky old Verizon DroidX that's been disconnected from a phone# and applying a custom Rom in the hopes of improving its performance.

After receiving considerable help from @sd_shadow with getting OtterX working beautifully on my KF, I'm feeling brave enough to try something similar now.

The 1st step I've taken was to use "Android Device Drivers Install" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_KPGUMzrjU (VERY informative) youtube video by Rootjunky.com

I successfully used "How to Root Droid X & Droid 2 on Android V2.3.4" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w543XNIExWo to get it rooted - YAY.

Next is getting a nandroid backup done. I was just about to purchase "Droid X Recovery Bootstrap" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap from the Play Store for $3 but then I noticed a wise man said "if Droid X bootstrap works for you great, but don't be surprised if it causes a bootloop"

I know that the next logical step is to be able to restore the device before going any further. I'm thinking CWM is a good way to go.

I need advice as far as which specific goal I should be shooting for as far as the best recommended final ROM based on your successes with my configuration. I really do like CM11/4.4.4 a whole lot.

Any Suggestions please?

System version = 45.621.10.MB810.Verizon.en.US
    Android version = 2.3.4
    Kernel Version - 2.6.32.9-g3e80c7a
    Build number = 4.5.1_57_DX9-10
    ERI = 5
    PRL = 52826

Thanks in advance for reading this and possibly even considering to point me in the right direction.
    Do not use the droid x bootstrap from play store, it was designed for froyo not gingerbread. If you would like to buy one pick droid 2 or 3, but the modified one in the op is best.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk
    Who knows what IDIODICY lurks in the BRAINS OF NEWBS? The Shadow knows!!!

use camera button to select options, you used power button right?
    just press power once more, to see options again, then press camera button

Yep, quite right. I now see the confirmation dialog 8 lines down ... there it goes now.
    Data wipe complete.
    Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I really am truly amazed at how wonderful this all turned out.

You guys really provide a fantastic service to us all!
    @Oggie7797 & @sd_shadow my heartfelt gratitude to you as well.