[INFO] What the Transformer plus dock can do for you

Search This thread

funnycreature

The more I use my TF the more I like it. Although I understand that people with problems need to vent I want to add another positive post to the forum.
First off, I do NOT believe that there is such a thing as the "perfect tablet" (but that doesn't mean that there is not a lot of crap out there!). For some the iPad might be the best, for others the XOOM, for some the Transformer or even the Nook Color.
Now here are some of the Transformer's benefits that make it the currently best tablet for me:
  1. The dock. This was probably the main reason for switching from the XOOM. I was looking for a case with Bluetooth keyboard for so long that the dock just came like an answer to my quest. I do a lot of typing so a physical keyboard was a must for me. The additional battery life and connectors are a HUGE plus (see more below). The keyboard is very sturdy and it is fun to type on. And of course the touch pad. Especially when browsing the web the pointer makes it indefinitely easier to click those tiny links!
  2. ASUS's software. The widgets are minimalistic and beautiful. They add to the Honeycomb experience without forcing a manufacturer's UI upon the user. The applications that are included are well designed and work great.
  3. Polaris Office. So far the best office suite that I have tested. This restores my faith in developers caring about productivity on tablet as compared to only entertainment and "consumption".
  4. Connectivity. I was amazed. I have setup media sharing on my PC so I could stream videos and music to my PS3s. The first time I fired up MyNet it automatically detected my PC and the content was instantly available. No settings to alter, no messing around. Then just yesterday I connected my external HDD (NTFS) where I ripped all my movies in HD (as compared to the 640x480 res for my iPod). It also was detected and mounted automatically and the content plays flawlessly (with Mobo Player). SD card, microSD card, everything works out of the box; I remember how much trouble that was with the XOOM...
  5. The display. Well, admittedly, an IPS screen is just great even though it might not have the most natural color reproduction or brightness. However, the viewing angles and contrast are amazing! I also like the wider bezel (compared to the XOOM) which allows for holding it in one hand without touching the actual touch screen (and I have not the biggest hands!). Sure, I have a bit of light bleed but the one on my Nook Color is worse. If I want to see it I will...
  6. Updates. For not being a "Pure Android Experience Device" the ASUS got updates rather frequently. There seems to be a real person from ASUS support active in this forum and on other social media like facebook (in Europe at least).
  7. Weight and Build. The TF feels nice and light when held. That it is made of plastic is unfortunate because it does feel kind of cheap but it is not too flimsy. I was apprehensive about the goldenish color but I have gotten used to it. I covered the back with carbon fiber skin though :D

So everyone considering to buy one of these I can only recommend it. There might be some lemons out there but you will have that with every device. If you want to wait for the newest gadgets, good luck, because as soon as you buy a high-tech device you can be sure that it's obsolete a week later...

Hope that helps some folks that were still indecisive.

Last edited:

Eggroll822

Nov 2, 2009
I have to agree with you my experience with the transformer and dock has been wonderful. My roomate asks why I didn't just buy a net book/laptop and whenever I detach the tablet and go to work or a coffee shop it makes it worth it all. Being able to have the tablet for casual use and the dock for longer/power use is the flexibility a lot of people want. For the most part at home it's in the dock just for ease of use, battery, and I don't have to prop it up on something.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

bleclair

Jan 24, 2010
Albuquerque
Great post!

I would like my Transformer build quality to be a little better, but otherwise I can't complain too much after getting my dock firmware update.

It is so cool to snap the Transformer into the dock and have a netbook with an additional SD card of storage. The keyboard is pretty good, but the trackpad is amazing. I really like the feel of it. Using the trackpad doesn't feel tacked on either, Honeycomb feels like it was designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard.

I also really liked how my tablet was down to about 40% power, and when I put it in the dock it automatically started leeching energy from the dock and recharging itself. Now that is impressive! (The dock wasn't even plugged in.)

Really looking forward to Honeycomb 3.1!

funnycreature

Great post!

I would like my Transformer build quality to be a little better, but otherwise I can't complain too much after getting my dock firmware update.

It is so cool to snap the Transformer into the dock and have a netbook with an additional SD card of storage. The keyboard is pretty good, but the trackpad is amazing. I really like the feel of it. Using the trackpad doesn't feel tacked on either, Honeycomb feels like it was designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard.

I also really liked how my tablet was down to about 40% power, and when I put it in the dock it automatically started leeching energy from the dock and recharging itself. Now that is impressive! (The dock wasn't even plugged in.)

Really looking forward to Honeycomb 3.1!

Good point! I forgot the touch pad. Will add it right now :)

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
Two things also impressed me about the keyboard dock that I hadn't thought of and wasn't expecting:

1. My Logitech Anywhere MX mouse works perfectly with it. Just plug the adapter into one of the dock's USB ports and it just works. For whatever reason, I didn't think it would, but I'm very happy to see that it works so well.

2. I've been using the dock to charge my Epic while away from a charger. I also hadn't thought about using the dock as a portable charger for my phone, but that works great as well.

Overall, this combo is working better than I expected, and I think my expectations were pretty high. I haven't used my HP Envy 14 notebook since I got the dock, and so I'm left wishing the TF had been available last November. Would have saved me $1000 for the Envy.

shoehopper

May 7, 2007
2. I've been using the dock to charge my Epic while away from a charger. I also hadn't thought about using the dock as a portable charger for my phone, but that works great as well.

However, I noticed you can only charge a device when the tablet is docked.

I still can't believe the dock didn't come with it's own power cord. For $150 it really, really should have.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
However, I noticed you can only charge a device when the tablet is docked.

I still can't believe the dock didn't come with it's own power cord. For $150 it really, really should have.

Yes, that's true: the tablet has to be docked, but it doesn't have to be open or turned on. So, when stored for carrying it can charge.

And agreed: it would have been nice to have another charger and cable. Given the build quality of the dock and the fact that it includes a full-size battery, I don't know that $150 is enough at retail to give the gross margins they're looking for if they included an adapter and cable. And given that they're pricing the tablet at $399, I'm sure they're happy to maybe squeeze out a few bucks of additional gross margin out of the dock.

int_19h

Feb 24, 2011
Redmond, WA
The killer features were undoubtfully keyboard with a trackpad (I hate taking hands off the keyboard just to move focus around), and the battery life.

Also, I see this becoming an awesome combo once running desktop Linux on it is perfected. That way I can pick whether I want the battery-conserving Android or full-size productivity desktop at any given moment.

funnycreature

The killer features were undoubtfully keyboard with a trackpad (I hate taking hands off the keyboard just to move focus around), and the battery life.

Also, I see this becoming an awesome combo once running desktop Linux on it is perfected. That way I can pick whether I want the battery-conserving Android or full-size productivity desktop at any given moment.

I have never used Linux (well, I tried to use it in the late 90s) but just to have the option is exciting! I wish to have an OS that allows for multitasking in different windows, even if it's just 2 or 3. Hopefully the Android of the future will have that!

The more I use my TF the more I like it. Although I understand that people with problems need to vent I want to add another positive post to the forum.
First off, I do NOT believe that there is such a thing as the "perfect tablet" (but that doesn't mean that there is not a lot of crap out there!). For some the iPad might be the best, for others the XOOM, for some the Transformer or even the Nook Color.
Now here are some of the Transformer's benefits that make it the currently best tablet for me:
  1. The dock. This was probably the main reason for switching from the XOOM. I was looking for a case with Bluetooth keyboard for so long that the dock just came like an answer to my quest. I do a lot of typing so a physical keyboard was a must for me. The additional battery life and connectors are a HUGE plus (see more below). The keyboard is very sturdy and it is fun to type on. And of course the touch pad. Especially when browsing the web the pointer makes it indefinitely easier to click those tiny links!
  2. ASUS's software. The widgets are minimalistic and beautiful. They add to the Honeycomb experience without forcing a manufacturer's UI upon the user. The applications that are included are well designed and work great.
  3. Polaris Office. So far the best office suite that I have tested. This restores my faith in developers caring about productivity on tablet as compared to only entertainment and "consumption".
  4. Connectivity. I was amazed. I have setup media sharing on my PC so I could stream videos and music to my PS3s. The first time I fired up MyNet it automatically detected my PC and the content was instantly available. No settings to alter, no messing around. Then just yesterday I connected my external HDD (NTFS) where I ripped all my movies in HD (as compared to the 640x480 res for my iPod). It also was detected and mounted automatically and the content plays flawlessly (with Mobo Player). SD card, microSD card, everything works out of the box; I remember how much trouble that was with the XOOM...
  5. The display. Well, admittedly, an IPS screen is just great even though it might not have the most natural color reproduction or brightness. However, the viewing angles and contrast are amazing! I also like the wider bezel (compared to the XOOM) which allows for holding it in one hand without touching the actual touch screen (and I have not the biggest hands!). Sure, I have a bit of light bleed but the one on my Nook Color is worse. If I want to see it I will...
  6. Updates. For not being a "Pure Android Experience Device" the ASUS got updates rather frequently. There seems to be a real person from ASUS support active in this forum and on other social media like facebook (in Europe at least).
  7. Weight and Build. The TF feels nice and light when held. That it is made of plastic is unfortunate because it does feel kind of cheap but it is not too flimsy. I was apprehensive about the goldenish color but I have gotten used to it. I covered the back with carbon fiber skin though :D

So everyone considering to buy one of these I can only recommend it. There might be some lemons out there but you will have that with every device. If you want to wait for the newest gadgets, good luck, because as soon as you buy a high-tech device you can be sure that it's obsolete a week later...

Such positive vibes! maybe it's not as bad as some people are trying to make out :)

evensen007

May 11, 2011
Agree with the OP on most points. People have to keep in mind that the users with bogus units are always going to be the most vocal so it makes it seem like there are more problems than happy customers.

After the latest update that fixed my dock/keyboard, I am 99% happy. I have a discernable amount of light-bleed at the bottom left that bugs me a bit when watching video/on a dark screen. If not for that, i would be at 100%.

My sleep of death issue seems to have gone away and beside the high profile x264 issue, I don't regret my purchase one bit.

funnycreature

the list keeps growing!

Just shamelessly bumping this thread due to plenty of whiny 'I return my Transformer for the iPad' threads...

More things that I love about the TF:
Overclock. Yep, it's done! Several kernels now available (Netarchy's Netformer, Blades' 1.6GHz MEATABALL).
Network integration. I mentioned that in the OP but I have to reiterate how great the TF works with the installed software. The past few days I was cleaning the house a lot and simply turned on my PC, turned on my TF and streamed videos and music without having to adjust anything.
USB ports. Also mentioned in the OP. I found an awesome use for them: hooked up a goose neck USB reading light and the keyboard shone even more :D

Reactions: ryguymoeller

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

the list keeps growing!

Just shamelessly bumping this thread due to plenty of whiny 'I return my Transformer for the iPad' threads...

More things that I love about the TF:
    Overclock. Yep, it's done! Several kernels now available (Netarchy's Netformer, Blades' 1.6GHz MEATABALL).
    Network integration. I mentioned that in the OP but I have to reiterate how great the TF works with the installed software. The past few days I was cleaning the house a lot and simply turned on my PC, turned on my TF and streamed videos and music without having to adjust anything.
    USB ports. Also mentioned in the OP. I found an awesome use for them: hooked up a goose neck USB reading light and the keyboard shone even more :D