FORUMS

[Kernel] TRIM: Speeding up the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch d710

1,882 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,056

By Lanchon, Senior Member on 13th September 2014, 09:15 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Brickbug Aftermath: Speeding up the Galaxy S2 i9100, S2 AT&T i777, S2 Epic 4G Touch d710 and Note n7000

UPDATE: CM 12.1 kernels are now available!!! (for CM 12.1-supported platforms only: i9100 and i777.) new kernels are rom-independent: they are no longer tailored to specific official CM builds (they might work with other roms too) and their names no longer reference a specific CM build.

UPDATE: this project now supports all roms and kernels!
if you are not running CyanogenMod M snapshots, please see this post.

this project restores TRIM capability to CyanogenMod kernels for the Galaxy S2 family of 4210-based devices: i9100, i777, d710 and n7000. TRIM is needed to avoid "aging" of the state of the eMMC, the internal flash storage, that eventually slows the device to a crawl. TRIM functionality is built into android 4.3 and later. however, due to historical and safety concerns, TRIM capability was removed from the CM kernels for these devices (and from most if not all other AOSP-based kernels).

STOP!!! DRAGONS AHEAD!!!

in theory there could be risk of hard-bricking your device forever.

1) READ THIS POST IN FULL.
2) answer this poll (view results).
3) discuss your d710 experience below in this thread.

Downloads

for the supported devices, you will find IsoRec-compatible CyanogenMod-based kernels here. (old kernels without IsoRec support can be found here. yet older retired kernels without FPBug fix are still available here.) note that for some supported devices, no releases or M snapshots are currently being produced. for those devices i can produce kernels based on known 'stable' nightlies if users ask.

XDA:DevDB Information
BrickbugAftermath-d710, Kernel for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Contributors
Lanchon
Source Code: https://github.com/Lanchon/BrickbugAftermath-SGS2

Kernel Special Features: CyanogenMod kernel with TRIM support

Version Information

Created 2014-09-13
Last Updated 2016-01-12
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ]

13th September 2014, 09:16 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
(reserved)
13th September 2014, 09:23 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
PLEASE READ: yes, i'm aware that currently there are no kernels for the d710 in this project! this is because the CyanogenMod project has not produced release or M snapshots builds for this device yet. but i am all set to release as soon as they release.

let's hope they release an M10. if not, you guys choose a more or less stable nightly, and i will produce a kernel for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2014, 11:27 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
UPDATE: the d710 did not get CM11 M10, so i'm releasing a kernel for the latest nightly instead:
cm-11-20140915-NIGHTLY-d710
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2014, 10:08 PM |#5  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 200

More
Lachon... Flashed your kernel to latest CM11 d710 nightly. Booted with no drama, everything working fine. Trim feature does work, used Android Tuner's FS Trim feature. Thank you for the great job on the kernel!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kvevand63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2014, 10:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
I installed the Sept. 15 CM11 nightly and Lanchon's kernel for it. My phone booted and runs fine.

To confirm: I do NOT need to install and run LagFix? The Play store says that it is not compatible with my device. I could sideload it but won't bother if it is not necessary.
16th September 2014, 11:50 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttakacs

I installed the Sept. 15 CM11 nightly and Lanchon's kernel for it. My phone booted and runs fine.

To confirm: I do NOT need to install and run LagFix? The Play store says that it is not compatible with my device. I could sideload it but won't bother if it is not necessary.

android should trim within 1 or 2 days (but not the system partition). the OP calls for you to download the app and check that trim is working. until you trim you wont profit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2014, 08:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Can I flash this kernel on the latest liquid smooth ROM? Its version 3.2 KitKat 4.4.4.
27th September 2014, 07:46 PM |#9  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 200

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFlynn

Can I flash this kernel on the latest liquid smooth ROM? Its version 3.2 KitKat 4.4.4.

Yes. I have flashed this kernel with no issues to cm11 nightlies, Vanir/Commotion and LS with no issues encountered.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kvevand63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th September 2014, 09:05 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Thank you! I just flashed with no issues!!! Looking forward to the results!!
The Following User Says Thank You to IamFlynn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th September 2014, 09:41 PM |#11  
Flag Vallejo
Thanks Meter: 1,999

More
What version did you flash?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)