USB not working

OP IamFlynn

25th August 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58

339 posts
I'm running CM 11 latest nightly and I can't get my phone to connect to my laptop (Windows 7).
I am greeted with an error "USB device has malfunctioned" and it won't connnect. I've tried different laptops but with no luck. I do have the SAMSUNG USB Drivers installed. Also, USB ports on both laptops are definitely working.

USB isn't working even on download mode. What can I do?

Plus, I tried flashing a rom and now I am in a bootloop and I can't reflash GB27 because my phone won't connect.
What can I do community?
28th August 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 18

130 posts
Have you tried a different USB cable?

You can try installing Kies, which I've heard can help help get USB working. I have two PCs, one has no problem, the other has the USB errors no matter what I try.
28th August 2014, 03:24 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownsoldierx

Have you tried a different USB cable?

You can try installing Kies, which I've heard can help help get USB working. I have two PCs, one has no problem, the other has the USB errors no matter what I try.

I've tried three different usb cables. They definitely work.
My device is able to charge with the USB cables but won't be recognized by a computer.
28th August 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

130 posts
When in download mode, do you see a screen "Downloading...do not turn off target!" or do you see another screen? You may need to hit a button to continue to that screen.
28th August 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownsoldierx

When in download mode, do you see a screen "Downloading...do not turn off target!" or do you see another screen? You may need to hit a button to continue to that screen.

No, its definitely in download mode. I did press a button to continue.

So I was able to get the phone to be recognized by ODIN after installing kies but I get this when I try to flash my phone. Also, the phone does not stay connected long.

<ID:0/004> Added!!<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004>
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

HELP!
28th August 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 153

347 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFlynn

No, its definitely in download mode. I did press a button to continue.

So I was able to get the phone to be recognized by ODIN after installing kies but I get this when I try to flash my phone. Also, the phone does not stay connected long.

<ID:0/004> Added!!<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004>
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

HELP!

Now that you can connect to Odin (if only for a bit), have you tried flashing just a kernel by itself (not a whole ROM)? Specifically the EL26CWM tar. If you can get that to flash, you'd at least have a working recovery with which to flash another ROM.

Good luck

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
28th August 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj138

Now that you can connect to Odin (if only for a bit), have you tried flashing just a kernel by itself (not a whole ROM)? Specifically the EL26CWM tar. If you can get that to flash, you'd at least have a working recovery with which to flash another ROM.

Good luck

I have a working recovery, CWM6 but everytime I try to access it, I am able to reboot into recovery but it reboots my phone after a few seconds and I see no options I can select from.
28th August 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 153

347 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFlynn

I have a working recovery, CWM6 but everytime I try to access it, I am able to reboot into recovery but it reboots my phone after a few seconds and I see no options I can select from.

OK, well now it sounds like your power button is on its way out. Mine was doing that (my phone's had all kinds of issues, but it's good now... minus a working USB port lol) maybe 8 months back, with symptoms just like yours.

Question: Do you ever see the Power Menu screen randomly pop up?

I would see that (sometimes) then it would reboot by itself. It would also reboot by itself while in recovery, and would not stay OFF if I had a battery reinserted.

I looked online for a solution, which led to dismantling the phone and cleaning inside the power button as well as i could, with alcohol. No dice [emoji20]

This went on for a few days and i was already looking for another phone. I was on JB Touchwiz with Agat's kernel at the time, so I rebooted into recovery and flashed OldMan CM9, hoping it wouldn't reboot mid-flash... Flashed fine without rebooting.

But when I booted into CM9, the issue had completely disappeared, no BS!! I have no explanation for this, as I was positive it was a hardware issue, but it worked. I have never had a Power Button issue since, regardless of ROM (I'm a registered flashaholic). Hope this helps.

28th August 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj138

OK, well now it sounds like your power button is on its way out. Mine was doing that (my phone's had all kinds of issues, but it's good now... minus a working USB port lol) maybe 8 months back, with symptoms just like yours.

Question: Do you ever see the Power Menu screen randomly pop up?

I would see that (sometimes) then it would reboot by itself. It would also reboot by itself while in recovery, and would not stay OFF if I had a battery reinserted.

I looked online for a solution, which led to dismantling the phone and cleaning inside the power button as well as i could, with alcohol. No dice [emoji20]

This went on for a few days and i was already looking for another phone. I was on JB Touchwiz with Agat's kernel at the time, so I rebooted into recovery and flashed OldMan CM9, hoping it wouldn't reboot mid-flash... Flashed fine without rebooting.

But when I booted into CM9, the issue had completely disappeared, no BS!! I have no explanation for this, as I was positive it was a hardware issue, but it worked. I have never had a Power Button issue since, regardless of ROM (I'm a registered flashaholic). Hope this helps.

I don't think its the power button, because the phone does not reboot automatically if i'm in download mode. I'll check it out tho. Thanks bud!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread