Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,243 Members 51,639 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[8-20-2014] Project Unity - Release 5 [ AROMA ][ LINARO ][ CM-11 ]

Tip us?

cirehawk
Old
Thanks Meter 190
I've tried to flash R4 3 or 4 times now. Each time it says the install was successful, but it always boots into hboot when I reboot. I'm gonna give R3 a try.
Previous Devices: Samsung Instinct, HTC Hero, HTC EVO 4G
Current Device: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Rom: Sense 5 (4.3) Y18 Version: 4.13.651.4- 2014-04-13
Kernel: Stock Kernel
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.1b

The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character...

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
I've tried to flash R4 3 or 4 times now. Each time it says the install was successful, but it always boots into hboot when I reboot. I'm gonna give R3 a try.
Well In any case i have R5 up now. Tested it too. Should be good if the upload is fine. R4 Gapps are still fine too of course

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
(Last edited by LiquidSmokeX64; Yesterday at 03:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 303
I am now debating dropping the project entirely. I can't get any help trying to get any of the features I want working. I can't just do everything on my own here. I won't. This is my last call for help before I shut it down. I need help with linaro kernel optimization everything i try fails cause i just don't know jack about it and am most likely not setting it up right to do that but of course, i wouldn't know cause as always, I get no help from anyone. The project will not continue without it.

Links will be removed in 24-Hrs (8-22-14 @ 7:30am Pacific)

cirehawk
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Well I hope you get some help, cause I just came back to report that I flashed R5 this morning and all went well (R4 never flashed for me). So far it is very smooth and fast. The other 2 AOSP Roms I have tried in the last few days each had an issue with either LTE or wi-fi. So far I have had no issues at all with this one (of course it's only been a few hours). The only thing I didn't realize was that it was a bare minimum install and that I had to install even the basic Google stuff (calendar, etc.). Once I figured that out I was good to go. I haven't done any development, but I'm willing to jump in and lend a hand. If it's something that doesn't need a ton of training time that you want me to focus on, I'll gladly give it a try. I have a feeling you're wanting help from someone with experience but as I said, I'm willing to give it a shot at least.

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 303
Quote:
Well I hope you get some help, cause I just came back to report that I flashed R5 this morning and all went well (R4 never flashed for me). So far it is very smooth and fast. The other 2 AOSP Roms I have tried in the last few days each had an issue with either LTE or wi-fi. So far I have had no issues at all with this one (of course it's only been a few hours). The only thing I didn't realize was that it was a bare minimum install and that I had to install even the basic Google stuff (calendar, etc.). Once I figured that out I was good to go. I haven't done any development, but I'm willing to jump in and lend a hand. If it's something that doesn't need a ton of training time that you want me to focus on, I'll gladly give it a try. I have a feeling you're wanting help from someone with experience but as I said, I'm willing to give it a shot at least.
Honestly I have no experience where it counts either. Just making it up as I go. But I do have a standard to adhere to. And with the current compiler i see too many things talking about using depreciated API commands, and all this to be able to accept this as OK. I started this ROM to become something better, maybe even revolutionary. To bring things up to date. I have asked all over the place trying to get people to join the cause but none do. Like the community part of Linux is not even present here. Everyone is for themselves like a bunch of Windows Fanatics.

If you want to try to help, go for it. the goal is the compiler being replaced for a more efficient one. Performance boost optional. Cleanliness is what matters. Linaro, CFX i just dont care. NOT the sloppy as hell default one. Must work on both ROM and kernel as well

cirehawk
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSmokeX64 View Post
Honestly I have no experience where it counts either. Just making it up as I go. But I do have a standard to adhere to. And with the current compiler i see too many things talking about using depreciated API commands, and all this to be able to accept this as OK. I started this ROM to become something better, maybe even revolutionary. To bring things up to date. I have asked all over the place trying to get people to join the cause but none do. Like the community part of Linux is not even present here. Everyone is for themselves like a bunch of Windows Fanatics.

If you want to try to help, go for it. the goal is the compiler being replaced for a more efficient one. Performance boost optional. Cleanliness is what matters. Linaro, CFX i just dont care. NOT the sloppy as hell default one. Must work on both ROM and kernel as well
Like I said, I have ZERO experience so most of what you said is foreign to me. But I feel your frustration. This is what I gather from your last 2 posts (and correct me if I'm wrong).

1) You are using the Linaro kernel in this Rom and need help with optimizing it.
2) The kernel code isn't running optimally because of the compiler being used for it. You are trying to use a more efficient compiler, but you're getting errors and can't compile it.
3) CFX is a different kernel? If it is, you can use either for your Rom as long as it is clean and efficient.

If my statements are true, I guess the thing for me to do is start by reading up on Linaro kernel and how to compile it.

By the way, I'm a long time Linux user.

LiquidSmokeX64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 303
Quote:
Like I said, I have ZERO experience so most of what you said is foreign to me. But I feel your frustration. This is what I gather from your last 2 posts (and correct me if I'm wrong).

1) You are using the Linaro kernel in this Rom and need help with optimizing it.
2) The kernel code isn't running optimally because of the compiler being used for it. You are trying to use a more efficient compiler, but you're getting errors and can't compile it.
3) CFX is a different kernel? If it is, you can use either for your Rom as long as it is clean and efficient.

If my statements are true, I guess the thing for me to do is start by reading up on Linaro kernel and how to compile it.

By the way, I'm a long time Linux user.

No. I am compiling from source so there is no Linaro kernel. I am using the android Toolchain they provide for cleaner compiling of the ROM.
The problem is when I try to use the toolchain to compile the kernel as well it refuses to do it without breaking. CFX is just another toolchain I havent looked into yet really.

All I am shooting for here is cleaner compiling. No depreciated API warnings and stuff like that. I honestly dont care how it gets done. I don't care if it's "a waist of time". I say it isn't. Somebody needs to step behind and clean up the build method. I mean seriously. Setup a build envirnment, if you need lines for the roomservice.xml tell me. Watch how dirty the build is done. It's a train wreak. I can tell just by all the yellow/orange crap everywhere. I can't justify using this garbage method at all. Even on Debian...

Tags
aroma, cm11, evo, linero, unity