Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ART on CM11 20140714-UNOFFICIAL

Tip us?

exhibit679
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] ART on CM11 20140714-UNOFFICIAL

I know it is experimental, but I'm running CM11 20140714-UNOFFICIAL and posts in the developers forum says that ART works well on it, so I thought I'd give it a try. I went to settings, developer options, select runtime and chose ART. The phone rebooted, did a phone is upgrading / reoptimizing 122 apps and when it finished, I got that:

"unfortunately com.android.phone has crashed"

When I checked "ok" the same message pops. Repeat. I rebooted and phone and it did re-optimization on 22 appls. But still the loop of crashes, maybe 80% are the com.android.phone, but I also get com.android.gapps and com.android.acore and other apps (youtube, etc). I tried booting into recovery mode and wiping the cache davlik cache and cache, but same problem. I was able to switch back to davlik (when you press ok after a crash, 20% of the time you get a half-second window to do something and I was eventually able to get to settings, etc). That caused the phone to crash on startup, but wiping the cache cleared that. So now I'm back where I started.

But it seems like other people having gotten ART working on the 20140714 CM11 build. Did I do something wrong when switching to ART? Anything else to try?

Thanks,

Ben

TripFX
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibit679 View Post
I know it is experimental, but I'm running CM11 20140714-UNOFFICIAL and posts in the developers forum says that ART works well on it, so I thought I'd give it a try. I went to settings, developer options, select runtime and chose ART. The phone rebooted, did a phone is upgrading / reoptimizing 122 apps and when it finished, I got that:

"unfortunately com.android.phone has crashed"

When I checked "ok" the same message pops. Repeat. I rebooted and phone and it did re-optimization on 22 appls. But still the loop of crashes, maybe 80% are the com.android.phone, but I also get com.android.gapps and com.android.acore and other apps (youtube, etc). I tried booting into recovery mode and wiping the cache davlik cache and cache, but same problem. I was able to switch back to davlik (when you press ok after a crash, 20% of the time you get a half-second window to do something and I was eventually able to get to settings, etc). That caused the phone to crash on startup, but wiping the cache cleared that. So now I'm back where I started.

But it seems like other people having gotten ART working on the 20140714 CM11 build. Did I do something wrong when switching to ART? Anything else to try?

Thanks,

Ben
depends on which gapps you use. Banks mini so far works the best for art aside 1 issue. you have to use different camera app or at least i have to. experiment your self and see which gapps works best for you other then cm gapps as it fails with art.
N. Tesla need I say more?

exhibit679
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripFX View Post
depends on which gapps you use. Banks mini so far works the best for art aside 1 issue. you have to use different camera app or at least i have to. experiment your self and see which gapps works best for you other then cm gapps as it fails with art.
Can I dirty flash different gapps over my working install, or I do I need to do a full wipe to remove my current (non-ART compatible) gapps first?

Thanks,

TripFX
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibit679 View Post
Can I dirty flash different gapps over my working install, or I do I need to do a full wipe to remove my current (non-ART compatible) gapps first?

Thanks,
you can try dirty if you want but personally I would do a full wipe.
N. Tesla need I say more?