Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] accessing external SD from recovery?

OP tileguy001

24th August 2014, 09:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA.
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
So I rooted my daughters samsung SGH-T599N, and installed philz touch and was planning on putting a custom rom on the phone. unfortunately out of habit, I put the rom file, and gapps file on the external SD, booted to recovery.. wiped cache, dalvik and factory reset to install a new rom. Unfortunately this device will not access the external SD card through the recovery, and now the phone just gets stuck with the samsung logo when turned on (so i cant turn debugging on again).... I can't get odin, or any other program to read and connect properly.... and now I'm stuck... I have been searching online for several days now trying to find a solution, but have come up empty. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.. I was even thinking to use adb to transfer files over but have been unsuccessful as of yet ...
28th August 2014, 06:27 AM   |  #2  
Flag Standing in the middle of nowhere
Thanks Meter: 222

330 posts
More
sorry to burst your bubble but this exhibit 4g section is for T679 version.
28th August 2014, 08:33 AM   |  #3  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 12

58 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy001

So I rooted my daughters samsung SGH-T599N, and installed philz touch and was planning on putting a custom rom on the phone. unfortunately out of habit, I put the rom file, and gapps file on the external SD, booted to recovery.. wiped cache, dalvik and factory reset to install a new rom. Unfortunately this device will not access the external SD card through the recovery, and now the phone just gets stuck with the samsung logo when turned on (so i cant turn debugging on again).... I can't get odin, or any other program to read and connect properly.... and now I'm stuck... I have been searching online for several days now trying to find a solution, but have come up empty. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.. I was even thinking to use adb to transfer files over but have been unsuccessful as of yet ...

do you have cwm installed? if so you could boot into that and in the advanced menu there's an option called mount usb storage. just make sure your phone is plugged into your computer boot into cwm and then advanced/mount usb storage, then open my computer and your external drive should so up also your internal I believe, so you could transfer your new rom and gapps to a new location of your choice.. though i'm not sure how you'd would do this on odin or other recovery software.
Last edited by Nitro Lopez; 28th August 2014 at 08:35 AM.
7th October 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Sacramento, CA.
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I actually had philz touch cwm installed, but I resolved the problem by flashing back to stock with odin in recovery mode... turns out this device just doesnt read external sd from recovery. adb push didnt work, sideload didnt work..lol . But good ole odin saved my butt again

this thread is a lifesaver---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2503550
Last edited by tileguy001; 7th October 2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added link to thread resolving problem
7th October 2014, 06:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Standing in the middle of nowhere
Thanks Meter: 222

330 posts
More
i have the t599 using it now. got twrp from vanir rom after getting cwm and root. then flashed rom over. been messing with both vanir and carbon. but anyways i can flash from sdcard and extsd. only issue i have at the moment with new roms. after installing 2 games i have 0 freespace on /data. then again i dont use my phone much and just too lazy to find a workaround atm.

also everything ya need to know for the t599 is here as far as recoveries, custom roms, etc
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bricked, debugging, recovery
Previous Thread Next Thread