FORUMS

Dr.Ketan Brings The S6 Theme Store To The Note 4

Dr.Ketan has submitted a video to the forums showing a functional port of the Galaxy S6 … more

Do You Have Insurance on Your Smartphone?

While affordable smartphones are becoming more available, the majority of high-end flagships … more

Apple Music Will Increase iTunes Match to 100,000 Songs

The battle for music streaming subscription dominance is starting to really heat … more

Xposed Framework Updated to v65

Xposed Framework is an extremely popular modification platform for Android, so much so that we included … more

[ZEN-KERNEL] On find7 and other Linux 3.4-based devices

1,838 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,497

By bbedward, Recognized Developer on 23rd April 2015, 05:25 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,
I'm from http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...s-msm-t3062814 and also on the nexus 9

It's cool to see somebody has noticed -zen kernel in a far off community such as the find 7.

Somebody noticed I mentioned I'd support -zen on a few flagships in addition to the nexus devices.

I explained the hurdle of having 3rd party testing for such a daunting task. My BFS work on android/3.10 has yielded nothing but positive feedback on the N6 and the 64-bit N9.

However, somebody here reached out to me and said "hey support us, we are active but we don't have enough developers here"

I would happily do this but I have observed the find 7 is using a 3.4 kernel. In order to do the work with BFS I will likely have to reboot and flash to it dozens of times per hour, pull logs constantly, test all situations for kernel errors, etc.

Before you say "oh he just wants us to buy him a new phone sick son of a b*&$&$&$"

No not at all, what I need to bring Zen to the find7 (and likely other devices like the N5 and N7 - who I have maintainers for a future BFS patch already in place, they just need the patches) is anybody who is willing to volunteer any 3.4 Linux kernel running android device, with an unlocked bootloader

It can be broken, damaged, hold no charge as long as the screen is mostly legible and runs 3.4, unlocked bootloader, etc. I will probably need no more than 1-2 weeks with it, so if anybody volunteered I will happily send it back to them as soon as I'm done with it.

Somebody here asked me, I told them I can't possibly do it on 2nd hand testing (not that itnisnt greatly appreciated) but for a task like this it isn't ideal. if I get 1 hour to work it's much faster to just do itnall myself and flash maybe dozens of times versus sending test builds and waiting for reply and secondary logs, etc.

Thanks,
B
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bbedward For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd April 2015, 05:29 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 2,497

Donate to Me
More
My endeavor to bring it to the nexus 9, which I do not own was successful but finding testers for that thing was basically impossible. Little interest and little users overall (I almost backed out but since I finished the patch for tegra I released it blindly and it works well)
The Following User Says Thank You to bbedward For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2015, 03:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Someone give this man some help! I want a custom kernel for my Find 7a.
26th April 2015, 04:33 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Have you tried the oppo forums? I'd let you use mine if you're in the Chicago/north west Indiana area
27th April 2015, 11:50 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wergrun

Have you tried the oppo forums? I'd let you use mine if you're in the Chicago/north west Indiana area

If he is not living there, would you send it if I would pay for the parcel (both ways)?
Just want to make this happen so badly but this is all I can do as I dont have a device on me I could send ):
27th April 2015, 04:46 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by znarf2369

If he is not living there, would you send it if I would pay for the parcel (both ways)?
Just want to make this happen so badly but this is all I can do as I dont have a device on me I could send ):

I might but I'll need a backup device. Closest is an old beat up iPhone 3gs who's apps don't even work!
I'll try to find something cheap with an sdcard or rough it out for two weeks
27th April 2015, 11:04 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

I might but I'll need a backup device. Closest is an old beat up iPhone 3gs who's apps don't even work!

alright just let me know (;
30th April 2015, 07:32 PM |#8  
Flag Exeter
Thanks Meter: 449

Donate to Me
More
Just to ask quickly, which ROMs would u support with ur kernel? I have tried CM12 and I am now on NamelessROM which I am loving.
I know some kernel DEVs only like to work for one ROM, or only for the stock OS of the device.

Thank u for wanting to work on our device, it seems like all the DEVs went for the OnePlus One, and everyone forgot about the blatantly better Oppo (lolz)
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam3Sixty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2015, 01:50 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

found anything so far?
the problem is I really would like to help but my device I could send is in germany (relatively high costs for shipping to usa and back to germany, about 130 $) and I am located in New Zealand right now so even if I would I cant because I dont have any access to the phone..
28th June 2015, 04:02 PM |#10  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 70

More
i would love to test it for you!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread