FORUMS

Battery Life Guide Helps You Get More out of Your Device

Battery life is a primary concern when it comes to smartphones these days, and … more

Vinsic Doosl FM Transmitter Review – Accessory Review

A lot of vehicles come with stereos featuring Bluetooth connectivity. This … more

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Unified Storage is Officially Coming

21st January 2015, 07:36 AM |#11  
Crossvxm's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Can someone please explain this "Unified storage" thing to me? I dont really understand whats the case with the storage, but I can tell it is a problem to many since there is a partition fix flying around the development threads. I just got this phone second hand about a week ago and I am still discovering the way it works.

It came on ColorOS 2.0.0i based on 4.4.2, and I'm not even sure if its official.
I have however noticed some bugs with the UI and some random and fluctuating battery drains when it feels like it, although rare and my activities haven't changed much in terms of use.

Performancewise, well it gets the job done and seems to really rock the benchmarks I throw at it, and I do see this in real time when playing Beach Buggy Racing at maximum graphics, as well as Modern Combat 5, which weren't all that smooth on my S5.

Anyways, my main concern is a thorough explanation on the current storage issue, and why its getting a "unified storage" fix included in the future.
 
 
21st January 2015, 01:43 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
More
The Oppo Find 7 was released with a weird storage layout. You can only use 3 GB for apps, and the rest of the storage is used for user data (pictures, movies, and such). The original fix was to use a method that messed with the partitions to make the partitions work as intended. That method is dangerous.
Nowadays, the preferred way is LVM. This is the case with the latest beta. Not dangerous, and it can be done within the rom
The Following User Says Thank You to farenteria For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2015, 04:54 PM |#13  
Crossvxm's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by farenteria

The Oppo Find 7 was released with a weird storage layout. You can only use 3 GB for apps, and the rest of the storage is used for user data (pictures, movies, and such). The original fix was to use a method that messed with the partitions to make the partitions work as intended. That method is dangerous.
Nowadays, the preferred way is LVM. This is the case with the latest beta. Not dangerous, and it can be done within the rom

Thank you. I never noticed that since I haven't surpassed 3GB worth of app data. Well, that depends if the application package is what counts towards the 3GB and the seperate data (e.g. what is found in the obb folder) is still considered as our own user space memory as per traditional partition layout.

Why make the partition like that in the first place when we have an SD card slot?
Hopefully I don't reach the limit as I don't want to have to try the mod.
21st January 2015, 04:58 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
More
I have no idea why Oppo did it in the first place, but the Find 7 isn't the first smartphone from the company to have that limit. I always thought that unified layout was the norm since Honeycomb, but I guess not
21st January 2015, 05:17 PM |#15  
Crossvxm's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by farenteria

I have no idea why Oppo did it in the first place, but the Find 7 isn't the first smartphone from the company to have that limit. I always thought that unified layout was the norm since Honeycomb, but I guess not

Ive come across my share of weird phone storage issues, like the Samsung Epic 4G which by default comes BML and many roms used the modified old school MTD partition map. Then there was the LG Optimus G, which when flashing a custom non stock based rom tends to hide all of your storage contents in the data/media folder. I could keep on, but the list would not end.

Now I can't remember which of my previous phones had this same issue, and it was annoying and confusing in the beginning...
22nd January 2015, 05:10 PM |#16  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,260
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossvxm

Thank you. I never noticed that since I haven't surpassed 3GB worth of app data. Well, that depends if the application package is what counts towards the 3GB and the seperate data (e.g. what is found in the obb folder) is still considered as our own user space memory as per traditional partition layout.

Why make the partition like that in the first place when we have an SD card slot?
Hopefully I don't reach the limit as I don't want to have to try the mod.

It's basically that Oppo was one of the last companies to move away from the "legacy" layout.

Google started using emulated storage with Honeycomb, but it wasn't until maybe a year after ICS that most phones moved to the "new" method. Xperia T (late 2012) was one of the last ones I remember like that.

I think that it's partly due to the fact that Windows XP is still dominant in China - Its MTP support is poor, and Chinese users apparently prefer UMS. I remember at one point (around the time the N1 was released) that someone from Oppo was asked why they used the "old" partition method and their response was "user preference". While that might make no sense to a Western user, it makes sense when your home market is China. Chinese tastes are very different from Western tastes. Of course with the Find7, Oppo kind of screwed up by using ext4 for the internal SD partition, rendering it useless for UMS + WinXP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2015, 03:00 AM |#17  
Crossvxm's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

It's basically that Oppo was one of the last companies to move away from the "legacy" layout.

Google started using emulated storage with Honeycomb, but it wasn't until maybe a year after ICS that most phones moved to the "new" method. Xperia T (late 2012) was one of the last ones I remember like that.

I think that it's partly due to the fact that Windows XP is still dominant in China - Its MTP support is poor, and Chinese users apparently prefer UMS. I remember at one point (around the time the N1 was released) that someone from Oppo was asked why they used the "old" partition method and their response was "user preference". While that might make no sense to a Western user, it makes sense when your home market is China. Chinese tastes are very different from Western tastes. Of course with the Find7, Oppo kind of screwed up by using ext4 for the internal SD partition, rendering it useless for UMS + WinXP.

It makes sense. In terms of the Xiaomi Mi3W and this one including a theme store which themes beyond just the app icons, you can tell it is something designated for a non US area. Here in the US, it's mainly about high end and so on. Most of the Chinese do not complain if they're device is falling behind the rest when their phone has a Snapdragon 800 meanwhile every other phone getting the 801. As far as storage, I don't see why they would keep the outdated way as a preference when the phone includes a Micro SD card option and so on, and you get more versatility when the storage is combined as all current phones have.
24th January 2015, 03:06 AM |#18  
Junior Member
Flag Koh Phangan, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Cancelled after reading other posts !

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Childe

A vigorous masturbation would make it come a lot quicker.

Seriously, you can't wait for OPPO to deliver - while everyone else is getting lollipop, we still have no OTA kitcat!

OTA Kitkat is to come next monday 26.01.15 !

Google to : Find 7/7a ColorOS V2.0.5i Beta | OPPO Forums

About Lollipop, after so many complains, it seems to me urgent to wait !

Except for geeks who like to struggle with beta, it's better to wait Lollipop better version.

The only 5 feature I really miss is the recovered ability for apps to write to SD card.
Last edited by gderidet; 24th January 2015 at 02:45 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Find 7 and 7a General by ThreadRank