Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] [Pre-Purchase] Find 7a bluetooth, battery, storage and ROMs

OP BlueC78

17th July 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

79 posts
I am really tempted by the Find 7a, it looks decent on paper but I am reading a lot of things that are putting me off, can owners comment on their severity or if they are indeed problems?

Bluetooth - lots of reports that it is flaky. I can't live with this. I need a solid handsfree connection in the car, and preferably solid audio out too. Is this a software problem or did they put crappy hardware in it?

Battery - plenty saying the battery drains like 30% overnight in standby. This is not good. Is it resolved in Color OS 2.x beta? Any better in CM?

Storage - oh man. Why did they do that? Way to cripple a phone.

ROMs - I know they are pretty open with an unlocked bootloader but I am not seeing much in the way of ROM development. It's pretty quiet over here and their forums aren't exactly buzzing with developers.

How is the state of CM11 on the 7a? Does it fix any of the issues mentioned above?

Any general comments on the handset? Is it worth the punt or in that price range better to go for something more established like a Nexus 5 or LG G2?

Thanks
C
17th July 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 319

487 posts
I think I can answer all your questions as I'm involved with parts of the 7a third party development myself.

First off, the hardware is fine and top notch, all the things you read about are in software and resolved by installing nameless ROM (all of the things you mentioned).

The battery depletion overnight (8 hours) is about 3 to 4 percent on nameless ROM with Wi-Fi and 3g permanently on and NFC off.

The storage issue can be resolved by executing my partition tool which you can find on the official oppo forums together with the nameless ROM download.

As for your intention of using cm11, I would stay away from it, it takes forever to get things fixed on that and some things are still glitched on it.
Last edited by MrColdbird; 17th July 2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Adding screenshot after unified storage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrColdbird For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th July 2014, 10:00 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrColdbird

I think I can answer all your questions as I'm involved with parts of the 7a third party development myself.

First off, the hardware is fine and top notch, all the things you read about are in software and resolved by installing nameless ROM (all of the things you mentioned).

The battery depletion overnight (8 hours) is about 3 to 4 percent on nameless ROM with Wi-Fi and 3g permanently on and NFC off.

The storage issue can be resolved by executing my partition tool which you can find on the official oppo forums together with the nameless ROM download.

As for your intention of using cm11, I would stay away from it, it takes forever to get things fixed on that and some things are still glitched on it.

Thanks @MrColdbird that is really useful info. Good to know the hardware isn't at fault.

Nameless ROM looks great and good to see some solutions to the crazy partitioning scheme. I assume you guys will be releasing Nameless for the OnePlus One too?! The One seems to have a minor hardware upgrade compared to the Find 7.

One last thing, I know it is personal preference but how do you find the size of the device, there is no getting away from the fact that it is pretty huge...?

Agreed about CM11 - they seem really slow at fixing things these days, perhaps they are trying to support too many devices and spreading themselves too thinly. They seem to fix one thing and break about a dozen more with each M release.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread