FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] [Pre-Purchase] Truth about Stereo Speakers

OP Linuxslate

14th July 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
More
Even though I really like My Huawei Honor 2 (U9508), I am considering upgrading to a high-end phone, probably one of the following:

Find 7
Find 7a
One Plus
Sony Xperia Z2 phone


Of course if I am going to spend this much money, I do not want to loose any features the Huawei has.

One of those is the stereo speakers. I believe that the Oppo Find 7 has basically the same arrangement.

Some of the advertising says that it does not, but I believe these are from sites pushing the One Plus.

Can someone please authoritatively answer the following: (Pictures would be nice, too)

Does the Find 7 have internal stereo speakers?

Does the Find 7a?

I am not expecting the internal speakers in a phone to be like the speakers in a nightclub, but -in context- do they have some power?
(The Huawei is actually pretty good - noticeably louder than "regular phones", and there is actually some noticeable stereo effect.) Could the same be said of the Find 7/7a?

How about with a 3rd party firmware (such as a Cyanogen build) that does not have Maxxx audio (or whatever it is), will I still have true (albeit perhaps not enhanced) stereo from the internal speakers?

I have an antique mini/micro car that has no radio, and sometimes my phone is the only sound system when my daughter says "I Want Music !!".

Other information (about the sound quality of the phone, not the daughter's attitude) is welcome.
16th July 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 22
 
158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
https://plus.google.com/photos/117913762156817728449/albums/6036679566189948529[/IMG]"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxslate

Even though I really like My Huawei Honor 2 (U9508), I am considering upgrading to a high-end phone, probably one of the following:

Find 7
Find 7a
One Plus
Sony Xperia Z2 phone


Of course if I am going to spend this much money, I do not want to loose any features the Huawei has.

One of those is the stereo speakers. I believe that the Oppo Find 7 has basically the same arrangement.

Some of the advertising says that it does not, but I believe these are from sites pushing the One Plus.

Can someone please authoritatively answer the following: (Pictures would be nice, too)

Does the Find 7 have internal stereo speakers?

Does the Find 7a?

I am not expecting the internal speakers in a phone to be like the speakers in a nightclub, but -in context- do they have some power?
(The Huawei is actually pretty good - noticeably louder than "regular phones", and there is actually some noticeable stereo effect.) Could the same be said of the Find 7/7a?

How about with a 3rd party firmware (such as a Cyanogen build) that does not have Maxxx audio (or whatever it is), will I still have true (albeit perhaps not enhanced) stereo from the internal speakers?

I have an antique mini/micro car that has no radio, and sometimes my phone is the only sound system when my daughter says "I Want Music !!".

Other information (about the sound quality of the phone, not the daughter's attitude) is welcome.

The speakers perform quite admirably. I find the speakers are very similar to the performance of the HTC One. In terms of Maxx Audio, It seems to matter most when using headphones. That being said, they should perform the same way with the Cyanogenmod built in DSP. I'll know for sure later. In terms of stereo performance, there may or may not be 2 speakers. I am unwilling to take a screwdriver to confirm. However, at the very least there are 2 speaker ports in which audio comes out. I've attached the pic. I used a stereo test app and covered a single port but could hear no discernible difference. At any rate, if there are 2 speakers you wouldn't discern stereo because the speakers are so close together.

Speaker(s) Pic
16th July 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #3  
sebZ128's Avatar
Member
Flag NR, RLP
Thanks Meter: 6
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
The speakers on the phone are pretty good. I optimized the sound with ViPER4Android on Paranoid Android. There's a huge difference you can notice when using ViPER. The only thing that isn't that good, is the positioning of the speakers. Most of the time your hands will probably cover them. HTC One for example does this better.

But all in all, watching videos is quite enjoyable with the phones speakers.
Last edited by sebZ128; 16th July 2014 at 06:13 PM.
16th July 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
65 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebZ128

The speakers on the phone are pretty good. I optimized the sound with ViPER4Android on Paranoid Android. There's a huge difference you can notice when using ViPER. The only thing that isn't that good, is the positioning of the speakers. Most of the time your hands will probably cover them. HTC One for example does this better.

But all in all, watching videos is quite enjoyable with the phones speakers.

I had been a user of Huawei Honor 2 for 2 years. When I switched to Find 7a I had to admit that Oppo sounds better (Maybe it's just the MaxxAudio thing..). In my opinion you will be very pleased if you decide to upgrade.

The only thing I am missing from Honor2 is the real-time facewarping feature in the camera, but it's not a big issue...
25th July 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
More
Thanks to all that replied.

There was also a thorough review on engadget.com that discussed the speakers quite a bit.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/24/oppo-find-7-review/

I also discovered that the Huawei P7 does have NFC, so the only one of my "requirements" that the P7 does not meet is the stereo speakers.

So as of right now, if I can find a P7 at a fair price (It should be about 1/2 what a Find 7 costs), I'll probably just settle for that.

If I'm stuck in the Find 7 price range, and I can get the US version with the carbon ("Space black", or whatever they call it) back, I'll probably go for that.

I'm not really considering a One Plus right now due to the "plastic-ness", and the irritating "invite" system, but it is not totally out of the question either.
25th July 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #6  
Bronyr's Avatar
Senior Member
DroidDen
Thanks Meter: 61
 
688 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxslate

Thanks to all that replied.

There was also a thorough review on engadget.com that discussed the speakers quite a bit.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/24/oppo-find-7-review/

I also discovered that the Huawei P7 does have NFC, so the only one of my "requirements" that the P7 does not meet is the stereo speakers.

So as of right now, if I can find a P7 at a fair price (It should be about 1/2 what a Find 7 costs), I'll probably just settle for that.

If I'm stuck in the Find 7 price range, and I can get the US version with the carbon ("Space black", or whatever they call it) back, I'll probably go for that.

I'm not really considering a One Plus right now due to the "plastic-ness", and the irritating "invite" system, but it is not totally out of the question either.

I have both Find 7a and OnePlus and prefer OnePlus. It's not plasticky, it feels premium. You can't go wrong with either one.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes