Thanks Meter: 24,410

13,300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayysir

how are the *.std files created?

atm this is tough for me to port from omni to cm base which AOSPA Oppo trees

For the fstabs - they are simply moves/renames of the fstab files and other storage-related items from the standard Oppo configuration (they should appear as renames/moves in the Gerrit commit...)

For the init.fs.rc file - all of the "export <blah>_STORAGE" lines from init.qcom.rc/init.find7.rc are cut out of the RC file and put into .std

Obviously, the .lvm versions of the files are the ones where the fstab has been altered to support a single data partition with emulated storage.
5th September 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #13  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 311

523 posts
Donate to Me
More
Amazing work and amazing posts. Thanks a lot for your sharing. 👍

I've got a question related to your configuration (/data and /sdcard merged) : are the LV hot-resizables?
5th September 2014, 03:14 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY

13,300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigogo

Amazing work and amazing posts. Thanks a lot for your sharing. 👍

I've got a question related to your configuration (/data and /sdcard merged) : are the LV hot-resizables?

In theory, you could probably use some of the ext4 resizing tools to do something like this, but I haven't looked into it as there isn't much point in the current config (since the LVM userdata volume is allocated to use all space on the volume group).

Something like that might be more useful if someone ever uses LVM to regain some of the wasted /system partition space on certain excessively bloated devices (like some GS4 units).
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #15  
Flag Lyon

523 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

In theory, you could probably use some of the ext4 resizing tools to do something like this, but I haven't looked into it as there isn't much point in the current config (since the LVM userdata volume is allocated to use all space on the volume group).

Something like that might be more useful if someone ever uses LVM to regain some of the wasted /system partition space on certain excessively bloated devices (like some GS4 units).

Thanks for your answer.

Seems I misunderstood the way it's implemented here. All space is allocated to /data? So there's no more internal sdcard right?
But in that case an external sdcard is mandatory. How is it managed when there's no sdcard?

Enjoy!
5th September 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY

13,300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigogo

Thanks for your answer.

Seems I misunderstood the way it's implemented here. All space is allocated to /data? So there's no more internal sdcard right?
But in that case an external sdcard is mandatory. How is it managed when there's no sdcard?

Enjoy!

Android has supported emulated storage (where /data/media is mapped to /sdcard with a special FUSE daemon that makes /sdcard have DOS-like permissions despite an underlying ext4 partition) since ICS. It's pretty much the standard in all new devices - the Find 7 is to my knowledge the only device launched in 2014 not to use emulated storage. Most devices in 2013 also did - Oppos were again the rare exception.

As I understand it - for some reason Chinese users prefer the legacy pre-ICS partitioning scheme. My guess is due to UMS vs. MTP - MTP is required for access to emulated storage, UMS can't be used, but a lot of older desktop OSes have issues with MTP. So Oppo finds themselves in conflict between their home market (China) and expanding in the West. That said, the Find 7 was kind of a screwup in achieving this goal, since the internal sdcard partition was ext4 which meant UMS was a no-go for it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #17  
Flag Lyon

523 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Android has supported emulated storage (where /data/media is mapped to /sdcard with a special FUSE daemon that makes /sdcard have DOS-like permissions despite an underlying ext4 partition) since ICS. It's pretty much the standard in all new devices - the Find 7 is to my knowledge the only device launched in 2014 not to use emulated storage. Most devices in 2013 also did - Oppos were again the rare exception.

As I understand it - for some reason Chinese users prefer the legacy pre-ICS partitioning scheme. My guess is due to UMS vs. MTP - MTP is required for access to emulated storage, UMS can't be used, but a lot of older desktop OSes have issues with MTP. So Oppo finds themselves in conflict between their home market (China) and expanding in the West. That said, the Find 7 was kind of a screwup in achieving this goal, since the internal sdcard partition was ext4 which meant UMS was a no-go for it.

I've got it now. Thanks for your explanations

I saw that Oppo phones didn't follow Android guidelines (yet?) by not using the emulated_storage mounting method but I didn't know why.

And your right, mtp doesn't work in Windows XP (or is hard to make working) and there's a lot of Asian people still using it. Obvious once you said it...

And that's also why only external sdcard is accessible in UMS mode in recovery.

Thanks again for your enlightenment. 😊
10th September 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 63

237 posts
More
Reading some of the comments on G+ it looks like Oppo might be using this solution for their KitKat release. I would be so pleased if they did.

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk
11th September 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #19  
Flag Lyon

523 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishd

Reading some of the comments on G+ it looks like Oppo might be using this solution for their KitKat release. I would be so pleased if they did.

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk

You could be pleased...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread