Ask a question

No registration required

Fire phone firesale?

OP MGREX

28th August 2014, 03:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

130 posts
So apparently the fire phone sales are a bust, what are the chances that amazon will do a firesale? like $200 for it but unlocked and without a plan?
9th September 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Already happened!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGREX

So apparently the fire phone sales are a bust, what are the chances that amazon will do a firesale? like $200 for it but unlocked and without a plan?

It's happened! $200 off so now it's actually a great value since you also get the free year of prime
9th September 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

130 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlax

It's happened! $200 off so now it's actually a great value since you also get the free year of prime

Meh still $450 without a plan (which methinks its not really unlocked).

For that price I rather wait for Shamu
26th November 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
The Fire Phone Fire Sale is Here
You can buy a Fire Phone unlocked with a free year of Prime for $200 right now. There is also no limit to the number of free years of Prime that you can redeem. Redemption unfortunately requires you to register the device to the account that you want to receive the free year. I wonder if this will end up being like the HP Touchpad. The hardware is really impressive for such a low price. Get a good Android ROM on there and this would be the best deal around for phone with these specs or similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to YeeHawGandalf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 12:24 PM   |  #5  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,243

4,506 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHawGandalf

You can buy a Fire Phone unlocked with a free year of Prime for $200 right now. There is also no limit to the number of free years of Prime that you can redeem. Redemption unfortunately requires you to register the device to the account that you want to receive the free year. I wonder if this will end up being like the HP Touchpad. The hardware is really impressive for such a low price. Get a good Android ROM on there and this would be the best deal around for phone with these specs or similar.

My prime membership was up for renewal on DEC 3rd ...I jumped on this for what would be $99, Use your Discover Card and get 5% cash back (almost covered the Tax). If your planing on renewing your Prime membership soon this is a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 01:23 PM   |  #6  
Flag Edmond, OK
Thanks Meter: 40

506 posts
More
Without the play store it isn't even worth that. Still no bootloader Unlock means this is and always will be DOA.
26th November 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #7  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 221

719 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_N_PDA

Without the play store it isn't even worth that. Still no bootloader Unlock means this is and always will be DOA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...ormal-t2898921
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaxidian For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 45

599 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

My prime membership was up for renewal on DEC 3rd ...I jumped on this for what would be $99, Use your Discover Card and get 5% cash back (almost covered the Tax). If your planing on renewing your Prime membership soon this is a great deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I jumped on it as well. I used my Chase card and basically got the phone or Prime for free. I'll take that any day since I was going to renew for school anyway. Now it gives me a chance to try the phone workout losing money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alhadee12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 23

12 posts
Bought unlocked $199 firephone - got Play store without rooting
I have Amazon Prime, which needed to be extended, so instead I bought the unlocked phone with free same day in the Phoenix area yesterday. got my phone last evening (11/26). After unboxing, I didn't want to root it, so I followed the kindle fire forums to install (sideload) google play.
and Voila I have Google services, Play store, Gmail, youtube, maps, drive and Google now launcher -

Without rooting and without any problems - Just follow the steps on the kindle forum or how-to-install-google-play-on-kindle-fire - on epubor site / gizmag
Guide 1: http://www.epubor.com/how-to-install...ndle-fire.html
Guide 2: http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install...-hd-hdx/30736/

First and foremost - don't upgrade/downgrade the OS (I got the phone with Fire 3.6.8 - which corresponds to Jellybean)
Make sure the Play store version matches the Kernel version for the Jellybean 4.2.2 - remaining services can be latest I think
Steps:
1) Enable Non Amazon app installation from Settings -> Applications
2) Install ES2 file explorer or any file viewer from Amazon App store (you can also install some batch APK installer apps)
3) Copy the Apks from the link above (see my attachment)
------ Google Service Framework
------ Google Login Service
------ Google Play Service
------ Google Play Store
(Skip Vending .apk as it has been superseded by play store)

4) Reboot after each apk above - allow Fire OS to acknowledge google login if prompted
5) You should see Google Play properly logged in to your google account - install gmail, youtube, drive, google search etc.
(Optional) If you hate the Amazon Carousel, Install Google Now launcher) - See last screenshot

Once you have Googlify or Androidify the Fire phone, it actually runs pretty nice.
Fire Phone shortcuts:
Android Back button -> Swipe anywhere from bottom edge of visible screen
Android Home Button -> Single press main button
Android Task Switch -> Double press main button (I miss the close all apps shortcut here)
Voice Search -> long press main button (I wish this could be made to Google Voice search in 1 step)
Device Search -> Swipe down and use the search icon there
Android Menu -> Swipe from Left edge (in supported apps)

I ran Antutu benchmark and the phone performs pretty decently - compares to 1st gen Moto X, Nexus 5, HTC one M7, Galaxy S4.
For $199 unlocked this is unbeatable for a decent android phone - with 1 year prime.

Attached: ANTUTU benchmark shows this phone better than Galaxy S4 but not as good as S5/HTC
I have AT&T so I will be getting my free upgrade next spring, which I can sell unopened for 600$ keeping this fire phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3dlI3tCUAEa0AB.jpg
Views:	2592
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	3037005   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3dlJOOCYAEVQBV.jpg
Views:	2582
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	3037006   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3dlJTRCcAISD_x.jpg
Views:	2550
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	3037007   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3bvBeBCcAA5ClC.jpg
Views:	2604
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3037016  
Last edited by Aztecwarrior25; 3rd December 2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Fixed links as I wasnt allowed before
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Aztecwarrior25 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2014, 09:47 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 23

12 posts
Took me 30 minutes to get Google Play no need of rooting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_N_PDA

See my post in the subsection - You only need to sideload google play store, google login framework and match the version of the Fireos to the android kernel version and download the matching play store - 4 apks and one setting change to get Play store. Pretty slick for $199 IMHO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aztecwarrior25 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread