[Q] Willing to join in on bounty for BL unlock and then CM on Fire Phone?

OP dimex

26th November 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 86

450 posts
I don't have a Fire Phone, I have a Nexus 5.

With that said, I'm a religious Amazon Prime shopper, and honestly, the specs on this thing are pretty good. With pricing as it is right now, this could be extremely attractive as a means to offset the cost of a Prime membership.

I'm guessing it could also be a potential money maker for reselling. $200 for a Snapdragon 800 phone with stock-ish Android on it sounds good to me, if I didn't have any flashing/rooting know-how.

Want to start a bounty?
Last edited by dimex; 27th November 2014 at 03:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dimex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
There needs to be a bootloader unlock first before any ROMs can be considered, so I think any bounty would need to start with the bootloader first
Last edited by centenary; 26th November 2014 at 11:43 PM.
27th November 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #3  

2 posts
clearly a tough question to answer, but what is the likelihood of that happening? I may replace a couple phones with the deal going on now if the consensus (by those who actually have experience with this type of thing) is that in a little bit one could overcome the bootloader and install a custom rom.
2nd December 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 24

812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by centenary

There needs to be a bootloader unlock first before any ROMs can be considered, so I think any bounty would need to start with the bootloader first

This is not necessarily the case: as long as you have root, you can load other Android versions after the phone is booted. This has for example been done on the Motorola Defy back in the day. (They called it 2nd-init)
2nd December 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #5  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenukk

This is not necessarily the case: as long as you have root, you can load other Android versions after the phone is booted. This has for example been done on the Motorola Defy back in the day. (They called it 2nd-init)

Fair enough, though my basic point was simply that we can't jump straight to custom ROMs, some initial development needs to happen first. In your case, we would need a root method to be developed (since 3.6.8 can no longer be downgraded to 3.5.0) and a 2nd init package developed. Any bounty should target that first before targeting custom ROMs.
5th December 2014, 06:30 PM   |  #6  
Flag Columbus Ohio
Thanks Meter: 92

814 posts
More
Put me down for $10. for root & unlocked boot loader. Another $10. for CM12!
5th December 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

29 posts
Same! $20 for CM before 2014 ends.

Can we install 3rd party keyboards ?
10th December 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #8  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeavers

Put me down for $10. for root & unlocked boot loader. Another $10. for CM12!

Me too.
10th December 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 86

450 posts
As OP, I'll throw down $100
The Following User Says Thank You to dimex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2015, 11:23 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 6

18 posts
So is there anyone capable of unlocking the bootloader? Are there methods left to try? Where'd be the best place to petition Amazon to unlock the bootloader so they can unload these phones from their inventory? The phone is back to $200 today, if we could unlock the bootloader and load ROMs, this would become a very popular phone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread