TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

[GUIDE]Enable USB Debugging and setup Android SDK for Fire Phone

OP SafinWasi

27th August 2014, 10:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Unknown
Thanks Meter: 304

541 posts
More
Disclaimer:I am not responsible if using anything I've made or provided suddenly deep-fries your device or causes thermonuclear war leading to alien abductions.

Hey guys!
It's been a while that I've been seeing people having problems to enable USB debugging and setting up the Android SDK to recognize the device. So,I've made a guide to help you enable USB debugging and set up the Android SDK accordingly. So let's begin!

What you'll need:
Quote:

1. Windows/Linux/Mac OS X with the Android SDK installed
  2. A Fire Phone

Setting up Android SDK and drivers:
Quote:

1. At first,make sure you have the Android SDK installed,adb and fastboot working.
  2. Open the SDK manager
  3. Click on "Tools" and then click on "Manage add-on sites"
  4. Click on the "User Defined Sites" tab,click "Add" and paste this URL:https://s3.amazonaws.com/android-sdk...dist/addon.xml
  5. Click "Ok". Wait for it to finish. Then,from the repo of Android 4.2.2(API Level 17),select Fire Phone SDK and install it.
  6. Remove any Fire Phone drivers using device manager
  7. Go to the directory of the SDK and find this:
    Code:
    /add-ons/addon-fire_phone_sdk_addon-amazon-17/tools/KindleDrivers.exe
  8. Run the driver setup and connect the phone having USB debugging enabled. If you don't know how to do this,it's explained below.
  9. Done!

Enabling USB debugging:
Quote:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Scroll to the Device section and expand the section.
  3. Tap Get info about your Fire.
  4. Tap any item at least 7 times in 5 seconds
  5. Developer options will appear. Set it to On.
  6. Go to developer options and enable USB debugging.
  7. Done!

Thanks a lot for reading my guide. If this was useful to you,please hit the thanks button. Feel free to comment,post or report anything. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SafinWasi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th August 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag Way too hot in, California
Thanks Meter: 10

99 posts
More
Excellent!! I can confirm this is working.

Bin4ry's root method was unsuccessful. Tried all options including the pwn binary. Very nice to have adb working though.
25th September 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #3  
Flag Way too hot in, California
Thanks Meter: 10

99 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am M3

Excellent!! I can confirm this is working.

Bin4ry's root method was unsuccessful. Tried all options including the pwn binary. Very nice to have adb working though.

@SafinWasi - Could you take a look at getting ADB to recognize the device in recovery? I can test sideloading the update file to roll back to 3.5. Problem is ADB stops recognizing the device once it goes into recovery.
26th September 2014, 12:33 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Unknown
Thanks Meter: 304

541 posts
More
Quote:

@SafinWasi - Could you take a look at getting ADB to recognize the device in recovery? I can test sideloading the update file to roll back to 3.5. Problem is ADB stops recognizing the device once it goes into recovery.

Could you try in a Linux distro live CD? It should detect the device without a hitch

Sent from my device running CyanogenMod 11
1st October 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
Quote:

If you're using Windows here's how I did it on Windows 7. Once you open ADB and reboot it into recovery mode remove it from Device Manager. Reboot you PC if asked. Never unplug or remove your phone through any of this. You may need to remove it a second time from Device Manager after a reboot. It'll eventually show up under Other Devices with the Model Number as the device name (at least mine did). Once it's there then go and update the driver. Tell Windows you want to pick from a list of all the devices. Scroll down until you see Amazon listed on the left side. You'll then see "Android Composite ADB Interface" listed on the right. Choose that. Then it should be recognized again and you can sideload to roll back. Once you roll back you'll probably get a lot of errors but it will work and it will root using the towelroot APK that's posted in the other forum here. I had to have my phone services so I had to do a factory reset on my phone because it broke my phone services. But the roll back process itself was very easy to do once I figured out how to get it recognized again while in recovery mode.
8th October 2014, 12:18 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
I did what the directions say, but I don't see the fire phone listed in the sdk.
8th October 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnknight

I did what the directions say, but I don't see the fire phone listed in the sdk.

You have to choose the correct driver in Device Manager

On Windows 8/8.1 you may have to activate unsigned drivers
8th October 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Kindle drivers don't seem to be working for me!
8th October 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
More
In Windows 8 and newer you have to activate unsigned drivers.
And please choose driver in device manager!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
drivers, fire phone, usb debugging
Previous Thread Next Thread