[US Unlocked Fire Phone] 4.6.1 update bin file

Search This thread

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I am confused as to how to get the file...

Ditto for me. How do I get the file on my phone. I don't have mega client and can't install because I haven't done the upgrade. Rinse repeat. :)

One way to do it is to use a PC to open the mega link and download the bin file. Then you connect the phone to the PC and copy the file to /sdcard the on your phone go to settings, device, install system updates, and it will see the file and install it for you.

brthrjon

May 14, 2015
File Corrupt... Can't get installer to rerun

So I downloaded the file to my phone. Ran the upgrade. Got a warning about the file being corrupt.

However, the phone now thinks it has run 4.6.1 and doesn't recognize the .bin file as having an upgrade in it.

Anyone know how to convince it to rerun the upgrade?

TIA.

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
So I downloaded the file to my phone. Ran the upgrade. Got a warning about the file being corrupt.

However, the phone now thinks it has run 4.6.1 and doesn't recognize the .bin file as having an upgrade in it.

Anyone know how to convince it to rerun the upgrade?

TIA.

You can install the update onto your system as many times as you want by recovery sideloading. In a nutshell, you need to boot your phone into recovery and use adb to Sideload the update. This requires seting up the adb connection and drivers, knowing how to boot into recovery, etc, all of which can be learned by either a Google search or looking through the xda forums. For example you can find a lot of information in this rather old piece that is of course written for a different purpose: http://www.droidviews.com/easlily-root-amazon-fire-phone-using-towelroot/

Reactions: brthrjon

jammydav93

May 26, 2015
Could some body please confirm that is is safe to update my O2 locked UK 4.6.1 (3320) phone to the U.S. Unlocked 4.6.1 (3820) version to be used in the UK with O2?

I see that once updated there is also now way back to the original?

Thanks!
J

Reactions: daniellsg

DForce

Oct 7, 2008
Hi sorry for the newbie question but does this mean using the US 4.6.1 ROM on a locked o2 UK device will enable you to use any carrier on it?(I'm on Tesco and it's refusing my sim)

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi sorry for the newbie question but does this mean using the US 4.6.1 ROM on a locked o2 UK device will enable you to use any carrier on it?(I'm on Tesco and it's refusing my sim)

This thread is about an update file for an unlocked phone. If your phone is unlocked to begin with it may accept this update and work. However, if you phone is not unlocked by the carrier then simply flashing an update file will not unlock it.

Reactions: sapps

DForce

Oct 7, 2008
This thread is about an update file for an unlocked phone. If your phone is unlocked to begin with it may accept this update and work. However, if you phone is not unlocked by the carrier then simply flashing an update file will not unlock it.

Thanks Najoor, I saw responses from TheDynamo, WalkableBuffalo so I'm assuming that a locked Uk o2 phone can be flashed with the unlocked rom, it wasn't obvious from the post/replies if other carriers are actually working fine(jammydav93 is still waiting for his sim), hence the post, hope one of the above can clarify this!

jammydav93

May 26, 2015
Thanks Najoor, I saw responses from TheDynamo, WalkableBuffalo so I'm assuming that a locked Uk o2 phone can be flashed with the unlocked rom, it wasn't obvious from the post/replies if other carriers are actually working fine(jammydav93 is still waiting for his sim), hence the post, hope one of the above can clarify this!

SIM tray arrived this morning - I can confirm that Tesco SIM works when using the US firmware on a UK phone as Tesco runs on O2's network, I'm can make/receive calls fine.

miles650

May 29, 2015
Hi, my fire phone is the UK O2 version and was originally on the O2 320 version of fire os 4.6.1. I have now updated to this US unlocked 4.6.1 rom and google play is now working perfectly. I was just wondering, as I have manually installed this update will I still continue to receive OTA updates such as the upcoming 5.0 version but instead of them being the UK version will they remain the US version? Or will I now have to continue manually updating from now on?

sapps

Mar 17, 2007
@najoor, I just purchased the Amazon Fire Phone from here. It appears to be AT&T locked (which was originally fine with me because that is my carrier), but says it comes with the unlock codes.

I don't have any plans at the moment to root, but I definitely want Google services on the phone. I guess my question is what suggestions would you have for me when I get the phone. I'm guessing I would follow this procedure.

1. Turn on the phone and register it with amazon to receive the free year of prime.
  2. use the unlock code to take of the ATT restriction
  3. sideload the 4.6.1 (820) update that you posted
  4. install google apps using instructions found elsewhere

Does that sound like a good plan? you have any other suggestions or things to look out for?

Thanks for you help.

Sapps

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
@najoor, I just purchased the Amazon Fire Phone from here. It appears to be AT&T locked (which was originally fine with me because that is my carrier), but says it comes with the unlock codes.

I don't have any plans at the moment to root, but I definitely want Google services on the phone. I guess my question is what suggestions would you have for me when I get the phone. I'm guessing I would follow this procedure.

1. Turn on the phone and register it with amazon to receive the free year of prime.
  2. use the unlock code to take of the ATT restriction
  3. sideload the 4.6.1 (820) update that you posted
  4. install google apps using instructions found elsewhere

Does that sound like a good plan? you have any other suggestions or things to look out for?

Thanks for you help.

Sapps

Strictly speaking you don't have to root because this ROM leaves you with a lot of possibilities in terms of disabling the apps and such. The steps you mentioned above, all good steps. What I would add is that after you install the 820 update and have registered your phone on amazon, immediately disconnect from the internet and disable the following apps: Amazon Communication Services, Amazon Metrics Service Application, Amazon device client platform, DCP platform contracts, and two apps called System Updates in Amazon settings. This way, Amazon will no longer update your apps (or possibly patch your phone's root vulnerability) and also it will significantly reduce your wakelocks and increase the standby battery life because the phone will not constantly chat with amazon servers every 5 minutes. If you don't use Amazon's app store and kindle, disable them too to save a bit more power, but they won't patch your system otherwise.

What I am about to say is not a fact, rather an opinion. I am not a big fan of google apps and I have grown less and less inclined to use the whole google framework over time. It used to be possible to instruct google services not to back up anything, not to poll the location all the time, and not to send location data to google servers 5 times an hour. But that is no longer possible, say on samsung or sony phones unless you completely disable the google framework, which immediately renders youtube and maps useless; the only two tools that I use from google. On a phone like fire phone there are good functional alternatives to all google tools already installed, even after you disable the chit-chat with Amazon. So I have, on my own phone, not installed gapps and have sideloaded whatever apk I need. Again, this is super subjective so you do what works best for you.

Edit: don't forget to disable Kinesis service which is responsible for major battery drain and heating. You will find it under settings, display, configure motion and gesture settings. Disable all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sapps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who have flashed the wrong firmware on your phone and you are stuck now, or if you just want to get the bin file to the 4.6.1 upgrade for US unlocked version, here it is:

Try
    https://mega.nz/#!Ul9GjJYa!XX8Ev0XkHeROwGvm_L_jWklgketsBL-iIqU_T3k9ah0
    Or
    https://mega.co.nz/#!Ul9GjJYa!XX8Ev0XkHeROwGvm_L_jWklgketsBL-iIqU_T3k9ah0

Note that after the upgrade your bootloader is updated and you cannot downgrade to an earlier version. Any problems after the flashing can be fixed with a factory reset.

Enjoy.
    The Mega upload link is for 'update-kindle-juniper-35.4.6.1_user_461013820.bin' is that correct? Could someone post an MD5 hash?

It is the correct file, despite the name. That is how amazon named the file on their servers but it is in fact for the fire phone. If I find time later today I will add the MD5 to the OP.
    1000Thanks najoor for uploading the new .bin file, for the Fire-Phone USA Unlocked!!

As some users here, I also has noticed that this new file have a more recent number, than the versions for the UK and Germany...

I also has noticed that with this USA Unlocked update, all Fire-Phone users here, have reported that now the Google-Play-Store and the Google-Play-Services APPs are working flawlessly again!!...

Could it be that Amazon has fixed something, to make the Google-Play-Store work again?...

Since the USB OTG Function is available in the Fire-Phone and only have to be enabled by software, I would appreciate if someone please could check if the USB OTG function is now working with the latest update?

Does anyone have noticed any other additions, fixes or changes??

You are welcome.

I don't think amazon has intentionally fixed Google play store. It is not in their interest anyway for the users to use play store because amazon has its own competing store. My guess is that they have fixed a big that affected many things including play store.

My observation of this update is that it is superior to previous versions in terms of speed and battery life. Another great advantage of this update is that now you can disable many of the apps, including the amazon native and system apps. It makes one think that you almost don't need root...

Another interesting point is that depending on what Sim card you put in the phone it loads a different mobile network menu. For example if you put an AT&T sim you will get a menu item called search for AT&T small cell or something like that. There are also a number of additional features some of which I don't necessarily need; changing wallpaper, miracast, find your phone, disable 4G etc.
    thank you

used it to update my US unlocked phone from the O2 UK version of 4.6.1
    working great !
    did those who installed the Play Store use the original pack of 4 files , or that latest set recently listed here ?
    Play Store works

just to add to this thread that new package of the 4 latest Play Store files work perfectly with this version of 4.6.1 :D