Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Boot Loader

28th November 2014, 10:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Hello all,

Given that Amazon has just slashed the price on what is in reality a powerful phone, what is the likelihood that we could see an unlocked bootloader (from the community) in the near future. CM would really make this phone fly.
29th November 2014, 01:38 AM   |  #2  
Flag Campbell
Thanks Meter: 18

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
I got the Fire Phone, as it was a $100 for me (i consider the 99$ amazon prime that comes with it, like renewing my existing one that expires on Jan 1st anyway).

As an excited developer, I actually am planning to devote time to trying to flash Custom Recoveries (or at least boot them), and getting Android Lollipop on it. Those are my 2 goals. I have no clue if I will achieve them, as this is my first strong attempt at making something custom, but I will try. I have android 5.0 and fireos sources downloaded. I will try to pull all the system level stuff on my phone from it (incase I need drivers or something), and take a stab. If I can get Lollipop stock working, I will then move to CM 12 and do that.

My goal is for 5.x support. If I can pull it off, I don't want to foray into anything less than Android 5.0.

Wish me luck.

As for bootloader unlock, I haven't checked, but it might be as simple as fastboot oem unlock. Here's to hoping.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daegalus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th November 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Great to hear! Thank you for dedicating your time, I am hopping after end of this semester I will be able to join in this endeavor.

Best of luck!
29th November 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #4  
Flag Campbell

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybassplayer

Great to hear! Thank you for dedicating your time, I am hopping after end of this semester I will be able to join in this endeavor.

Best of luck!

Just a heads up, the bootloader is locked down pretty tight. Unlocking it will require finding and using an exploit. there is a guy on the HDX forum that found an exploit for that Tablet that would work for the Fire Phone, but he decided for legal reasons to not release it anywhere, so both devices are in limbo. Wish i knew even at which exploit to look into and I would do the rest myself.
3rd December 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

44 posts
if it is locked so tight, what is the point of giving away as open source
4th December 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 86

452 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daegalus

As for bootloader unlock, I haven't checked, but it might be as simple as fastboot oem unlock. Here's to hoping.

lol, you must be joking.
5th December 2014, 12:06 AM   |  #7  
Flag Campbell

51 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimex

lol, you must be joking.

Umm, no, not at the time of that post. If you read the post i made after that, you would have seen that I actually checked and found out it wasn't the case. Way to jump the gun.
5th December 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 86

452 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daegalus

Umm, no, not at the time of that post. If you read the post i made after that, you would have seen that I actually checked and found out it wasn't the case. Way to jump the gun.

If it was as simple as a 'fastboot oem unlock' we wouldn't be here half a year later discussing this to begin with. All I'm saying, of course that wasn't going to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to dimex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

24 posts
Glad you're attempting this. If I can help, please let me know. Unless people smarter than me can unlock the bootloader, you might be creating one great virtual machine that won't make it to this nice piece of hardware.

I bought this phone to learn more about the same things you plan to do. I dislike the fireos (and the glitches in the use of the side-loaded gapps) enough to return the phone, but the cheap price, dreaming of a decent OTA update in January, and folks like you working on it makes me think I'll hang on to it as a backup.
16th December 2014, 07:20 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
I just got a fire phone as well. Hope this forum will get more traction as Amazon release its FireOS source...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread