Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Installing Chrome or any APK's

OP brices21

24th July 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

30 posts
Looks like ES File Explorer isn't available in the Amazon app store for the Fire Phone. I've tried downloading .apk's from elsewhere via silk to no avail (it looks like it is specifically not allowing *.apk's to download). There is the option to allow installing 3rd party apps, but not sure how to get the apk on the device. Anyone found a way yet?
24th July 2014, 06:06 PM   |  #2  
Flag Manchester

89 posts
More
Mine is still sitting on a UPS truck somewhere here in town, will have it soon. I sure hope we can at least get gMail and Chrome working otherwise I may return mine shortly after getting it.

Edit: oh crap, didn't realize YouTube will not work either.
Last edited by N1ESE; 24th July 2014 at 06:08 PM.
24th July 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

30 posts
adb sideloading works...

I was able to enable USB debugging by going into Settings > Device > Get Info About Your Fire and tapping the device name 5 times.

After that I following this guide ( https://developer.amazon.com/post/Tx...e-Devices.html ) to get the right Kindle adb driver installed.

From there I used the chrome apk found here ( http://www.thinkcomputers.org/how-to...indle-fire-hd/ ) and did a "adb install chrome.apk"

So far, so good...
The Following User Says Thank You to brices21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 07:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag Manchester

89 posts
More
Awesome, wondering if google maps would work the the same.
24th July 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

30 posts
gmail, youtube, etc have also been installed following this guide... http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install...-hd-hdx/30736/

Not sure about the stability yet, but I will report my findings...
The Following User Says Thank You to brices21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #6  
Flag Manchester

89 posts
More
Awesome, mine just arrived. I may leave it shrink wrapped for a couple more hours though.
29th July 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #7  
Flag Manchester

89 posts
More
I've been having difficulties getting my Windows 7 computer to detect the Fire Phone as a valid USB device. Windows tries to install drivers for it but always says drivers are not available. I just installed the android SDK and tried the Kindle drivers and the Google drivers, neither worked as well. I'm very frustrated at this point.
30th July 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #8  
Flag Manchester

89 posts
More
Ok, Windows 7 now sees my phone. I run the "N edition" and had to install many of the packages "N" excludes by default so it was an OS/Microsoft issue.
30th July 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #9  
Flag Manchester

89 posts
More
I just installed the basic four but the google framework crashes frequently while using google apps. The apps work but the framework crashing messages are annoying.
10th September 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #10  
Flag corona
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Donate to Me
More
ES File Explorer
I had no issues with downloading this straight to my firephone then installing it. I did have to do some Google.fu to find the apk from a reliable source initialy but once on it is working as normal. If I can find the apk I used ill either upload it to my Google Drive and link or link straight to it if possible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread