[Q] 3D Movies on the Fire TV?

Search This thread

Raymondo17

Dec 14, 2014
One of the things I was most excited about pairing my Fire TV with XBMC was the ability to have on-demand 3D movies. Last night I gave it its first run and, unfortunately, it did not go well. We started a 1080p 3D movie via XBMCtorrent. Things went smoothly for the first ten minutes or so, then a big error message appeared on the screen saying that my Fire TV was nearly full to capacity. XBMC showed that it weighed in at over 6 gigabytes. (My Fire TV has only about 3 repositories and 3 add-ons installed beyond the native Fire TV software and the XBMC software itself.)The only thing I could think of to do was to use a Delete Files command that basically set XBMC back to the drawing board, where I had to reinstall all my add-ons, reset the screen size setup, everything, but at least the error message went away. We started up a new 3D movie, and several minutes in, XBMC completely crashed.

I know the storage on a Fire TV isn't enormous. Does that mean that 3D movies aren't playable on the Fire TV?

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
One of the things I was most excited about pairing my Fire TV with XBMC was the ability to have on-demand 3D movies. Last night I gave it its first run and, unfortunately, it did not go well. We started a 1080p 3D movie via XBMCtorrent. Things went smoothly for the first ten minutes or so, then a big error message appeared on the screen saying that my Fire TV was nearly full to capacity. XBMC showed that it weighed in at over 6 gigabytes. (My Fire TV has only about 3 repositories and 3 add-ons installed beyond the native Fire TV software and the XBMC software itself.)The only thing I could think of to do was to use a Delete Files command that basically set XBMC back to the drawing board, where I had to reinstall all my add-ons, reset the screen size setup, everything, but at least the error message went away. We started up a new 3D movie, and several minutes in, XBMC completely crashed.

I know the storage on a Fire TV isn't enormous. Does that mean that 3D movies aren't playable on the Fire TV?
It depends on your source I guess.

I have 3D Blurays I ripped to SBS MKV files using AnyDvdHD and BD-rebuilder. They play just fine so far.

But I'll admit I haven't tried playing any Torrents

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Just a guess but are you using genesis with fan art enabled? Those thumbnails add up. Lots of people have complained about low memory. I'm rooted and since using advanced settings to store meta data on external drive I've had no space issues.
But, I'm not an expert, however, that doesn't make sense to me. I've watched very large 3d files on devices like atv2 with flash memory.
I don't want to steer you wrong but maybe the zero cache setting would work? I've read lots of posts on low memory and aftv but this is the first time I've heard of a file not playingon a device with apparently enough free space.

Reactions: Raymondo17

dillfever

Apr 1, 2011
north of 49th
Just a guess but are you using genesis with fan art enabled? Those thumbnails add up. Lots of people have complained about low memory. I'm rooted and since using advanced settings to store meta data on external drive I've had no space issues.
But, I'm not an expert, however, that doesn't make sense to me. I've watched very large 3d files on devices like atv2 with flash memory.
I don't want to steer you wrong but maybe the zero cache setting would work? I've read lots of posts on low memory and aftv but this is the first time I've heard of a file not playingon a device with apparently enough free space.

what advance settings did you use? xml text? and what... dill

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia

i think it just means than any video you try and fully download with sbmctorrent onto the fireTV box is going to be an issue since there isnt room for big movies on the internal storage.
3d movies work fine here, SBS is most common online and is best imo. if your looking to "stream" 3d movies from online, try the addon named after the bird "phoenix" from tvaddons.ag it contains a few of the sources from the old mashup and 3 or 4 of them have a decent 3D section with 20-30 titles in each.

Raymondo17

Dec 14, 2014
Thanks for the responses here.

Just a guess but are you using genesis with fan art enabled?

KLit75, Genesis is one of the three add-ons I'm using. I'll have to dive in and see if I can find where to disable the fan art.

i think it just means than any video you try and fully download with sbmctorrent onto the fireTV box is going to be an issue since there isn't room for big movies on the internal storage.

nhumber, are you saying that XBMCtorrent downloads the full movie to the Fire TV itself, while other add-ons do not, they merely stream? Is that correct? XBMCtorrent does seem to operate differently, as a download routine occurs before the movie begins. I wonder, does it discard the movie file once I've finished viewing it, or do I need to go in and manually clear it out somehow?

3d movies work fine here, SBS is most common online and is best imo.

I'm not familiar with SBS. Is that an XBMC add-on, or perhaps a 3D file format?

if your looking to "stream" 3d movies from online, try the add-on named after the bird "phoenix" from tvaddons.ag it contains a few of the sources from the old mashup and 3 or 4 of them have a decent 3D section with 20-30 titles in each.

An excellent idea. I take it that these will stream like other typical XBMC media and won't bog down the Fire TV by trying to store it locally, is that correct?

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia

nhumber, are you saying that XBMCtorrent downloads the full movie to the Fire TV itself, while other add-ons do not, they merely stream? Is that correct? XBMCtorrent does seem to operate differently, as a download routine occurs before the movie begins. I wonder, does it discard the movie file once I've finished viewing it, or do I need to go in and manually clear it out somehow?

An excellent idea. I take it that these will stream like other typical XBMC media and won't bog down the Fire TV by trying to store it locally, is that correct?

from what you are saying i was just assuming that must be how xbmctorrent operates, which wont work well on the fireTV, i dont know if it saves it or if you have to delete stuff yourself, SBS means Side by Side, which is the typical 3d format you will find online. The Phoenix addon has SBS 3d movies in a few catagories and they all work well for me.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014

I missed the part about xbmctorrent. Thats completely different. I use it on rpi openelec because I have a large HDD attached. I didn't know xbmctorrent even worked on aftv? But if it does it would need to be playing small files because otherwise your internal space will fill up to your limit then the movie will stop. xbmctorrent (I'm fairly certain) needs to download the entire file while it plays. Once finished it should auto delete unless you tell it not to. Like I said I never tried it on aftv but obviously it works. So if you're rooted you'd need to go into the addon settings and hopefully you can save that file to external (need to be rooted.)

The advanced settings I was thinking about is the zero cache from maintenance tool but it doesn't apply here at all now that I read the full post.
My advanced settings to store to external? Is that what you want? It goes something like this, but you need root. Copy this to a plain text and call it advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/storage/usb/drive1/xbmcthumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Amend it if you're using kodi instead of xbmc AND if you mount with stickmount your usb storage will be in sda (don't recall the exact path but just check it by looking with es file or root explorer. I'd suggest using adbfire to mount the drive. Then you can follow those exactly if you're running xbmc. Create the folder in the external "xbmcthumbnails"
***ALSO if your metadata is completely blank after applying this that means it worked. Just delete the Textures13 in database, restart xbmc and they'll be back.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

KLit75, Genesis is one of the three add-ons I'm using. I'll have to dive in and see if I can find where to disable the fan art.

I just responded tht that advice doesn't really pertain to your problem. XBMC uses its own scrapers for all the art. Lots of people began complaining of low memory after Genesis was released. It pulls from many other places and you can access trakt collection, imdb, and other accounts then add them to xbmc library. It's an awesome addon really, but all that metadata that gets stored on your internal can amount to a lot and the AFTV don't have a lot.
But like I said xbmctorrent works by downloading the file to your aftv so the space needs to be available. Unless they're compressed to mkv, 3d files are huge. If you have say 2gb of space available and you want to watch an episode of the Walking Dead in HD (around 1 gb) you shouldn't have issues with playback. Plus, in general, everything runs smoother when your internal memory has room to spare.
If you're rooted Id advise you try those advanced settings I posted. I never get the low memory message.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
I'm using spmc and stickmont, should just have to change the directory... no

Yes that's right. I've amended it for SPMC, xbmc, helix and when I went from sda to storage/usb/drive1
Remember to create a folder on external "xbmcthumbnails" and like I said all your icons will disappear. Just go into database, delete textures13 and restart. After I do this I usually just delete the thumbnails folder in xbmc. You should see a significant increase in free space after you check.

Reactions: dillfever

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Is there any solution to play 3d movies smoothly without giving error?
Encode your 3D Movie as a HSBS MKV, put it on a network share, use SPMC to access that network share and play the movie back.

Works fine for me.

Using Plex Server/Player with my same HSBS MKV files works too.

There are tools out there to make them if you have the Bluray.

Reactions: ECEXCURSION

mrwizzer

Jan 3, 2015
Clear Maxed Out Storage

This is good info for a newbie like me. So it looks like XBMCtorrent is not the way to go to view movies for those of us limited to the stock Amazon Fire TV hard drive.

Now the question is, how do I delete the data that has accumulated? Right now, my Amazon Fire is unusable because the Manage All Apps screen shows that XBMCtorrent has accumulated over 9GB of data, (isn't that nearly double what the Fire's hard drive is?), so I clearly need to dump that data somehow.

However, if I use the Manage All Apps screen's option to "Delete Data", as Raymondo17 points out, I lose everything I've spent time dialing in just right.

Is there a way to clear the accumulated downloaded movie data without having to start from scratch afterward? Again, I'm a total newbie as of this weekend, so "XBMCtorrent for Dummies" level answers would be greatly appreciated! ; D

PS - Does anyone have a favorite alternative to XBMCtorrent? I really appreciated the work they put into organizing the movie selections by 1080p, 720, 3D, etc..

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
This is good info for a newbie like me. So it looks like XBMCtorrent is not the way to go to view movies for those of us limited to the stock Amazon Fire TV hard drive.

Now the question is, how do I delete the data that has accumulated? Right now, my Amazon Fire is unusable because the Manage All Apps screen shows that XBMCtorrent has accumulated over 9GB of data, (isn't that nearly double what the Fire's hard drive is?), so I clearly need to dump that data somehow.

However, if I use the Manage All Apps screen's option to "Delete Data", as Raymondo17 points out, I lose everything I've spent time dialing in just right.

Is there a way to clear the accumulated downloaded movie data without having to start from scratch afterward? Again, I'm a total newbie as of this weekend, so "XBMCtorrent for Dummies" level answers would be greatly appreciated! ; D

PS - Does anyone have a favorite alternative to XBMCtorrent? I really appreciated the work they put into organizing the movie selections by 1080p, 720, 3D, etc..

I could say something about not stealing movies... but I won't. Well, I guess I just did...

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
I could say something about not stealing movies... but I won't. Well, I guess I just did...
Heh, true.

But on the other hand, it is kind of ironic thinking about how much of a struggle it is to get my massive library of legally purchased blu-ray (23.976) to stream to my TV. That old idea that scene releases are often better created/packaged than their legal counterparts is absolutely true IMHO. This isn't to say that I support piracy; it's just something I've been thinking about the last week as I work with my AFTV.

*continues reading about installing Fedora*

tomoffel

Jun 11, 2007
moffel.de
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Heh, true.

But on the other hand, it is kind of ironic thinking about how much of a struggle it is to get my massive library of legally purchased blu-ray (23.976) to stream to my TV. That old idea that scene releases are often better created/packaged than their legal counterparts is absolutely true IMHO. This isn't to say that I support piracy; it's just something I've been thinking about the last week as I work with my AFTV.

*continues reading about installing Fedora*

Sorry for the OT, but you have almost 24000 blurays??

Can you post a picture of the collection? Not that I don't believe you, just to know how this massive amount of BDs look :D

Btw, I play ripped 3d movies in SBS and OAU and both work (earlier on 13) now on helix :) played smooth over a nfs share from my synology nas :) (after I switched from wifi to gb-lan [emoji106]

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Sorry for the OT, but you have almost 24000 blurays??

Can you post a picture of the collection? Not that I don't believe you, just to know how this massive amount of BDs look :D

Haha, forgot to label that. I was referring to the frame rate of uncompressed blu-ray video (23.976 fps). Stock, the Fire TV doesn't support 24hz output, so playback is choppy at times.

Reactions: tomoffel

tomoffel

Jun 11, 2007
moffel.de
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Haha, forgot to label that. I was referring to the frame rate of uncompressed blu-ray video (23.976 fps). Stock, the Fire TV doesn't support 24hz output, so playback is choppy at times.

Haha, okay :D
Yeah, that 24Hz thing is a really pita.. The only thing I don't like about that box.. And the failure cec..

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk

Ichijoe

Feb 11, 2007
Frankfurt am/Main

Real Simple... Find an Addon that does NOT use Bittorent. I mean what exactly would you think would happen if you tried to DL a 50GB 1080p 3D BR rip? On to a Device with only 8GBs of shared Storage?

Without naming names, there are a few Add-ons that offer Movies in 3D (Some also in Top Bottom), and outside of a few of these not playing correct on my tv. (The images weren't aligning correctly), these types of Movies have never caused me any problems. Outside of actually sending a proper 3D switching signal to the tv. Thankfully setting the 3D manually isn't that big of an issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i think it just means than any video you try and fully download with sbmctorrent onto the fireTV box is going to be an issue since there isnt room for big movies on the internal storage.
    3d movies work fine here, SBS is most common online and is best imo. if your looking to "stream" 3d movies from online, try the addon named after the bird "phoenix" from tvaddons.ag it contains a few of the sources from the old mashup and 3 or 4 of them have a decent 3D section with 20-30 titles in each.

from what you are saying i was just assuming that must be how xbmctorrent operates, which wont work well on the fireTV, i dont know if it saves it or if you have to delete stuff yourself, SBS means Side by Side, which is the typical 3d format you will find online. The Phoenix addon has SBS 3d movies in a few catagories and they all work well for me.

I missed the part about xbmctorrent. Thats completely different. I use it on rpi openelec because I have a large HDD attached. I didn't know xbmctorrent even worked on aftv? But if it does it would need to be playing small files because otherwise your internal space will fill up to your limit then the movie will stop. xbmctorrent (I'm fairly certain) needs to download the entire file while it plays. Once finished it should auto delete unless you tell it not to. Like I said I never tried it on aftv but obviously it works. So if you're rooted you'd need to go into the addon settings and hopefully you can save that file to external (need to be rooted.)

The advanced settings I was thinking about is the zero cache from maintenance tool but it doesn't apply here at all now that I read the full post.
    My advanced settings to store to external? Is that what you want? It goes something like this, but you need root. Copy this to a plain text and call it advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
    <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>/storage/usb/drive1/xbmcthumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
    </advancedsettings>

Amend it if you're using kodi instead of xbmc AND if you mount with stickmount your usb storage will be in sda (don't recall the exact path but just check it by looking with es file or root explorer. I'd suggest using adbfire to mount the drive. Then you can follow those exactly if you're running xbmc. Create the folder in the external "xbmcthumbnails"
    ***ALSO if your metadata is completely blank after applying this that means it worked. Just delete the Textures13 in database, restart xbmc and they'll be back.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

I just responded tht that advice doesn't really pertain to your problem. XBMC uses its own scrapers for all the art. Lots of people began complaining of low memory after Genesis was released. It pulls from many other places and you can access trakt collection, imdb, and other accounts then add them to xbmc library. It's an awesome addon really, but all that metadata that gets stored on your internal can amount to a lot and the AFTV don't have a lot.
    But like I said xbmctorrent works by downloading the file to your aftv so the space needs to be available. Unless they're compressed to mkv, 3d files are huge. If you have say 2gb of space available and you want to watch an episode of the Walking Dead in HD (around 1 gb) you shouldn't have issues with playback. Plus, in general, everything runs smoother when your internal memory has room to spare.
    If you're rooted Id advise you try those advanced settings I posted. I never get the low memory message.
    I'm using spmc and stickmont, should just have to change the directory... no

Yes that's right. I've amended it for SPMC, xbmc, helix and when I went from sda to storage/usb/drive1
    Remember to create a folder on external "xbmcthumbnails" and like I said all your icons will disappear. Just go into database, delete textures13 and restart. After I do this I usually just delete the thumbnails folder in xbmc. You should see a significant increase in free space after you check.