Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

51.1.2.0_user_512073320 Source Code Uploaded

OP AFTVnews.com

18th August 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 87

153 posts
Donate to Me
Amazon has already made the current "root blocking" software update's source code available. This is a bit strange since for the previous version, 51.1.1.0_user_511070220, they didn't upload the source until the update was "official" (i.e., their documentation page listed it as the latest version).

I've created a page at AFTVnews.com/software to keep track of all the Fire TV software versions. Feel free to comment on the page or in this thread if I'm missing any information, or I have something listed incorrectly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFTVnews.com For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 385

475 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTVnews.com

Amazon has already made the current "root blocking" software update's source code available. This is a bit strange since for the previous version, 51.1.1.0_user_511070220, they didn't upload the source until the update was "official" (i.e., their documentation page listed it as the latest version).

I've created a page at AFTVnews.com/software to keep track of all the Fire TV software versions. Feel free to comment on the page or in this thread if I'm missing any information, or I have something listed incorrectly.

So I think I am going to call shenanigans on Amazon. The kernel source is the same between 51.1.1.0 and 51.1.2.0, yet towelroot, which exploits a kernel bug stopped working. If they fixed the kernel to patch the exploit, it should show up in the diff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 09:43 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 18

178 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

So I think I am going to call shenanigans on Amazon. The kernel source is the same between 51.1.1.0 and 51.1.2.0, yet towelroot, which exploits a kernel bug stopped working. If they fixed the kernel to patch the exploit, it should show up in the diff.

perhaps puts to the kernel build tree is frozen. it may be a simple file change which breaks it. They released the code to show you where it wasn't so you could undo. I'm sure there is a smart developer who knows leaving it open to towelroot means more device sales. he just has to appease his boss who was given the call "shut it down"
19th August 2014, 06:26 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

153 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

That's very interesting. So you're saying it looks like they explicitly blocked towelroot without patching the exploit that towelroot uses?
19th August 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #5  

475 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTVnews.com

That's very interesting. So you're saying it looks like they explicitly blocked towelroot without patching the exploit that towelroot uses?

No. I think they patched the kernel but didn't include that change in the source drop.
19th August 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ocean City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 156

953 posts
More
Is it possible that towelroot may still work on the latest update with some tweaks to the modstrings?
The Following User Says Thank You to {ParanoiA} For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

153 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

No. I think they patched the kernel but didn't include that change in the source drop.

Ah, ok. That does make more sense.
19th August 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #8  

475 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by {ParanoiA}

Is it possible that towelroot may still work on the latest update with some tweaks to the modstrings?

If I put trust in Amazon that they didn't slip a change in the kernel without putting it in the source drop, then that's a possibility. I don't really know much about towelroot, but I did notice about the modstrings when I was reading about it.
19th August 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #9  
Flag Ocean City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 156

953 posts
More
I guess the only way to tell would be to diff the firmware update instead of the source?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread