Ordered mine today too

Phone: HTC Sensation
Team Venom ViperS 1.5.2
Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB
CyanogenMod 10 & WebOS 3.0.5

wschlich
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was also one of the naive people ordering a US Amazon Fire TV a while ago to try it out in Germany I never managed to get it working, even after using Unlocator and fiddling around with settings of my Amazon account. So, since then, it's basically sitting in my living room doing nothing.

I'm thus also interested in converting a US Fire TV to a German Fire TV.

Will the German Fire TV be running a different firmware than the US version? If yes, will it be possible to manually flash a German firmware onto a US device? It's not rooted or anything...

~Craig~
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Like some others have mentioned, This will be interesting.

Got my FTV from the USA, Wondering if I will be able to "convert" it to a UK model so I can get the native service / apps.

I would go ahead and order one from the UK while it is on offer but cant afford to loose root

krasny2k5
Old
Thanks Meter 10
seems that in UK have same offer, but 49...

Not in Spain, France or Italy yet...

cyablo
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Got One Hope this will become a nice XBMC Box to replace my RasPi in my Bedroom, which is quite on its limit with my installed AddOns + TVHeadend.
ONEPLUS ONE - Sandstone Black 64 GB

~Craig~
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ok, So I decided to send them an email regarding the "region change" of the existing USA Fire TV's,

I asked for my message to be forwarded onto the relevant team involved with the Fire TV for a more appropriate response,

Take of this what you will but they have told me that it will be possible, First you will need to migrate your account, Any purchases made will also transfer, Then once the device has launched in your country, in this case the UK you then need to look out for a firmware update.

They say they will put it up on their help pages.

So that's good news, Sad that it will be a firmware update but not unexpected, Guess I will wait till the time comes and consider my options. At this stage I could not give up my root

Craig

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Craig~ View Post
So that's good news, Sad that it will be a firmware update but not unexpected, Guess I will wait till the time comes and consider my options. At this stage I could not give up my root
As long as they don't pull any shenanigans with the updates... once I finish Safestrap, for every update that comes out, I will be removing the bad stuff and prerooting it and making it flashable from Safestrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

~Craig~
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
As long as they don't pull any shenanigans with the updates... once I finish Safestrap, for every update that comes out, I will be removing the bad stuff and prerooting it and making it flashable from Safestrap.
Wow I had no idea that anything like that was being worked on

That's great to hear, I will for sure be keeping my eyes out for that