Amazon Fire OS 5. It's here, right now! But it's buggy as buggery.

Search This thread

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
For what it's worth. Setting a parental pin has completely broken my Fire TV. Every option in the settings just returns me to the main screen. Factory reset freezes. Paper weight.

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
Have you tried de-registering the device with your amazon account on the amazon site?
I can't even force a factory reset. The screen dims and I get a blinking orange light.
The light has gone solid white again but nothing happened.

When I entered the pin it put my entire 4 digit pin in the first space.

EDIT

On web chat now. Hopefully this will be covered by warranty or something...

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
For what it's worth. Setting a parental pin has completely broken my Fire TV. Every option in the settings just returns me to the main screen. Factory reset freezes. Paper weight.

Did you have the pin set before it updated to OS 5? Or after? Mine has pin but for some reason I haven't got the update. It did finally update to 54.1.2.2 overnight last night. I'm wondering if this lock causes it to not update to the dev preview?

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
Did you have the pin set before it updated to OS 5? Or after? Mine has pin but for some reason I haven't got the update. It did finally update to 54.1.2.2 overnight last night. I'm wondering if this lock causes it to not update to the dev preview?

Before? yes, merely to stop accidental purcahses.

After the update it didn't show as set, so I set it.

Support is suggesting nothing except, "did you restart it?"

I'm wondering, if the parental value is invalid, can this be cleared through ADB? Support say they can reset pins remotely which kinda' makes me think they are not stored locally.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Amazon have agreed to do a return and send me out a new one.
After providing a short video after the RMA was raised, support tried to blame my TV for causing the problem!

Is anyone else brave enough to test Parental Pin out?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Is Amazon Video working for other people? I'm trying to figure out if something I did broke it.

Airey001

Aug 22, 2015
Is Amazon Video working for other people? I'm trying to figure out if something I did broke it.

At first mine didn't work. I found that the FireTV was reporting the wrong date and time and I couldn't get it to adjust. So i did a factory reset and still had the same issue. Then i just started to play with all the menus onthe home screen. I tried to down load apps watch videos, but then when i started a amazaon prime music playlist every thing started to work. So i am not sure if the music fixed it or if it fixed it self. I was stuck with vido not working for about 8 hours.

I have another FireTv waiting for the update lets see if it happens to it too.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
At first mine didn't work. I found that the FireTV was reporting the wrong date and time and I couldn't get it to adjust. So i did a factory reset and still had the same issue. Then i just started to play with all the menus onthe home screen. I tried to down load apps watch videos, but then when i started a amazaon prime music playlist every thing started to work. So i am not sure if the music fixed it or if it fixed it self. I was stuck with vido not working for about 8 hours.

I have another FireTv waiting for the update lets see if it happens to it too.

Thanks. That was the same thing I noticed eventually. The reason the time being wrong breaks it is because the SSL certificate for one of their servers is only valid after August 12th, so if the clock is before then, it thinks the certificate is invalid. It's good to see that it fixed itself for you eventually.

Airey001

Aug 22, 2015
The time issue did hit me other firetv when it updated today. And my main firetv lost time sync today. It was working and on time then I watched a movie in kodi. Then prime videos didn't work again. I checked an it said the date was 8/20/2015 - 3 days behind?

I did my play music trick and that lets me play videos but dates still wrong

cybero2912

Aug 2, 2009
@skymera: try to force a factorys reset using your remote
press RIGHT and BACK buttons for 10 seconds to initiate the Factory default reset

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
@skymera: try to force a factorys reset using your remote
press RIGHT and BACK buttons for 10 seconds to initiate the Factory default reset

Hi, that still never worked. It looked as if it tried to do something but the screen dimmed and did nothing else.

Amazon support was good and asked few questions before offering a free replacement.
My new FireTV will be here tomorrow and the old one was returned. No biggie!

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Has any non-developer found a reason to not revert back? I thought it might be cool to try leanback launcher but so far can't get it to work. Don't know how the fire tv behaves but the stick is beyond laggy, almost unusable. WiFi adapter doesn't pick up a strong signal either. I used to connect 5Hz now it either shows up as fair then drops out if it connects.
It's not a hardship because I don't use stick regularly but I see no point in keeping it.

Mosquito79

Sep 29, 2012
Hamburg
I can get into the system settings, but not in for example installed apps, screen and audio, parental lock or Account Management. I requested a fw rollback

Claude Koch

Apr 11, 2015
Has any non-developer found a reason to not revert back? I thought it might be cool to try leanback launcher but so far can't get it to work. Don't know how the fire tv behaves but the stick is beyond laggy, almost unusable. WiFi adapter doesn't pick up a strong signal either. I used to connect 5Hz now it either shows up as fair then drops out if it connects.
It's not a hardship because I don't use stick regularly but I see no point in keeping it.

Not really. The only positives I can find are it seems to have fixed a minor python script error I'd been having in Kodi, and it seems to have better memory management for minimized tasks. But neither make up for it being otherwise a major pain in the sphincter.

It's just a pity that by rolling back you risk not being able to try further previews.

Reactions: KLit75

blautob

Aug 27, 2015
Can anybody try if UDP RTP streams finally work on fireos 5?

There is a problem to use Live IPTV (via multicast UDP/RTP), which is currently not supported due to missing kernel support. /proc/config.gz >on the FireTV.

Therefore FireTV box does not support IP multicast as the config flag CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set. The flag should be CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y in order to work.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
It's just a pity that by rolling back you risk not being able to try further previews.

Didn't know that. Does that apply only to your specific device, or the user can no longer get previews? Like I said, my ftv stick gets very little use so I might just leave it alone, but if this were my living room aftv I'd have to roll back.

Top Liked Posts