AOSP

17th September 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #21  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 678

921 posts
If you can boot AOSP - can you also boot an older (rootable) firetv firmware if your device is shipped with a new build?
17th September 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 328

380 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxl000

You may not need an unlocker.
As a simple test unpack recovery, modify icon_error.png, repack, dd to recovery partition and reboot recovery.
I'd be interested to know if this works on releases other than 51.1.0.2

It's a little more complicated than that because you can't modify the contents of recovery because the stock bootloader does a signature check. But I have a fully working solution for loading recovery, I'm just waiting on the last and final pieces. As long as you have root, it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoal

If you can boot AOSP - can you also boot an older (rootable) firetv firmware if your device is shipped with a new build?

Booting AOSP requires certain things that can only be done if you have root. The only way currently to downgrade is to stick a file in /cache/recovery and boot into the recovery. Writing to /cache requires having root.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

It's a little more complicated than that because you can't modify the contents of recovery because the stock bootloader does a signature check. But I have a fully working solution for loading recovery, I'm just waiting on the last and final pieces. As long as you have root, it will work.

Maybe building the A-A usb cable and the fastboot oem unlock worked. That fastboot still complained about being locked on boot and flash commands suggesting this had failed so I thought it was working for me because of the "not verifying" bug in the bootloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

Booting AOSP requires certain things that can only be done if you have root. The only way currently to downgrade is to stick a file in /cache/recovery and boot into the recovery. Writing to /cache requires having root.

To dd the image to the recovery partition you need root.

I'm not saying an unlocker is not desirable but that with root you may be able to side step the unlock.
Last edited by cxl000; 17th September 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread