Complete video tutorial from open box to root, XBMC, Google Play Store, etc.

OP hotterpop

28th October 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 6

7 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey there! I put together a complete video walkthrough for converting your FireTV to an XBMC box. This includes:
Root
Preventing Amazon updates
Making XBMC the launcher
Installing apps to XBMC homepage
Demo of Mupen64+(N64 emulator) and Reflector (Airplay)

Remember, if you are buying a new FireTV, make sure to follow the instructions here to make sure it doesn't update to an unrootable version. In short, either block access at the router level, or disconnect wifi / ethernet right after you start the device and connect to the network, before the download of the new version can finish.

Enjoy! Let me know if you'd like me to do video walkthroughs of anything else, like using stickmount, connecting to Windows computers over the network, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hotterpop For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #2  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 17

127 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotterpop

Hey there! I put together a complete video walkthrough for converting your FireTV to an XBMC box. This includes:
Root
Preventing Amazon updates
Making XBMC the launcher
Installing apps to XBMC homepage
Demo of Mupen64+(N64 emulator) and Reflector (Airplay)

Remember, if you are buying a new FireTV, make sure to follow the instructions here to make sure it doesn't update to an unrootable version. In short, either block access at the router level, or disconnect wifi / ethernet right after you start the device and connect to the network, before the download of the new version can finish.

Enjoy! Let me know if you'd like me to do video walkthroughs of anything else, like using stickmount, connecting to Windows computers over the network, etc.

Sweet, nice!
29th October 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Great walk through wish I could use the whole lot.
Mainly using xbmc and its a great improvement on my Pi but as I am in UK no root so a "here's what you can do with unrooted AFTV" vid would nice, having said that the llama trick for short cut works great and I don't think I need much more
29th October 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

38 posts
Great Effort. You should do another tutorial using FireTVUtility. I would be easier, w/o any commands to type directly in adb shell.
29th October 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 6

7 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas2

Great Effort. You should do another tutorial using FireTVUtility. I would be easier, w/o any commands to type directly in adb shell.

I'll look into it. It doesn't look like it really needs any help though- I haven't used this program in particular, but my experience with pc-side all in one solutions is that if they work, they work, and if they don't, there's not much the user can do to fix it. It also seems that the developer is pretty active, so any video I make may be out of date rather quickly. That being said, if other folks agree that there should be a tutorial for this, I'll put it together.

Thanks for passing this utility on, though. Tools like this were essential to me when I started messing with cm 10 on an old phone of mine last year, which extended its useful life until I got my (glorious) OnePlus in July. My experience there really hit me with the modding bug, and I have been messing with android since. The purpose of the video was to help introduce people to the idea that android is open and ready to tinker with, in addition to taking advantage of the FireTV's potential with Kodi. If you have any more requests though, I'd love to hear them, and I'll do my best to fulfill them as time permits
The Following User Says Thank You to hotterpop For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread