Emulators thread. Emulators that are working for the Fire TV

Search This thread

Spykez0129

Jun 1, 2010
My biggest reason for buying this was using it for emulation and I've tried countless different emulators for NES, SNES and Sega and the three I've found these three to work the best. The menus, the layout, gamepad detection and compatibility (xbox360) all work the best with it.

I did pay for all of these because they work flawlessly, Robert offers free versions as well so you can try them out.

NES: NES.emu
Super Nintendo: Snes9x EX+
Sega: MD.emu

PSX:
FPse
For the 360 pad, the triggers don't work and the back/start buttons are tied to the emulator menu and can't change them. Developer is currently working on the triggers as of last weekend when I emailed him about them being buggy.[update 7-27-2014] Still no update or email from developer. Issue still present.

ePSXe
1.9.20 was sent to me by the developer to test the triggers for the X360 gamepad and have confirmed they work. Start button is tied to emulator menu. Not that big an issue since you can just set start button to an analog click. Everything seems to be in working order.

Last edited:

Montisaquadeis

Nov 16, 2011
ePSXe works fine in landscape mode. Navagating it via gamepad is fine as well unless that is untrue with the Fire TV as I have no issues doing so on my Kindle Fire HDX my only issue is no sound but that seems to work fine on the Fire TV tho from what I have been reading.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
The original Mupen64Plus AE or CoolN64 should be what you're looking for.

Too bad the original seldom updates nowadays.
We are waiting on either the developer Paul,or anyone else that is capable of compiling a build with the much needed fixes like Banjo-Tooie and plugin updates.

Maybe someone can ask the CoolN64 developer to add the patches that fix Banjo-Tooie and the DelaySI function as well.
Or anyone here that is source code mod savvy could make a modded version with fixes and other changes.

Why has DK64 never been fixed for Mupen64Plus AE when Wii64 (mupen64/plus port) could actually run it with collisions and level loaders intact?

Reactions: Riffer

ToxicDM

Mar 5, 2014
Does it have to be some sort of special xbox360 controller?
My wireless controller doesn't work. And yes, I connected the cable.

Apr 7, 2014
My biggest problem with the emulators is I can't figure out how to get them to work via XBMC and store the roms on a network drive instead of locally on the firetv. Is anyone using the emulators this way?

Spykez0129

Jun 1, 2010
Does it have to be some sort of special xbox360 controller?
My wireless controller doesn't work. And yes, I connected the cable.

that doesn't work how you think it does lmao.

The cable that plugs into the wireless doesn't send a data signal. It's sole purpose is to charge. You'll need an xbox 360 wireless adapter for PC to get it to work.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

That's just an example. You can find them cheaper on ebay but the official one is the one labeld "Microsoft". The rest are knockoffs, whether or not they will work on the Fire TV I don't know, but the official Microsoft branded one is plug and play.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Both MAME and the retroarch version work fairly well.
I played the arcade exclusive Golden Axe sequel called Revenge Of Death Adder.

Like MAME emulators always are,you have to make sure that every specific condition is correct.
Correct name,proper directory,and only when available in the given romset list.

lilcza1

Aug 14, 2007
Both MAME and the retroarch version work fairly well.
I played the arcade exclusive Golden Axe sequel called Revenge Of Death Adder.

Like MAME emulators always are,you have to make sure that every specific condition is correct.
Correct name,proper directory,and only when available in the given romset list.

Has anyone been able to get the Gamesome frontend Working? I would love to use that as my front end for all my emus but it glitches out and freezes on opening.

Scratch that. Installing the Google Play Services fixed it for me.

Last edited:

Spykez0129

Jun 1, 2010
epsxe's developer sent me a beta to test on the Fire TV and the triggers for the xbox 360 gamepad are confirmed working. Even though everything is detected you'll have to manually go into the gamepad settings to map the triggers which show up as gas and brake. Also make sure they're set up in the axis controls as well.

I dunno how they compare on standard phones and all that but the interface of the epsxe tends to flow a bit better with the Fire TV and gamepad detection.

Last edited:

Vylle

Jun 19, 2010
Kingston
SuperGNES is the best SNES emulator. reason:- it allows dropbox synchronization. i uploaded ALL my roms to my dropbox and was able to play all the roms from there easily.

I REALLY wish that other emulators would take a cue from this - if i could find a N64 or a PSP emulator that sync's with my GDrive or Dropbox or even my Skydrive i would be REALLY happy

dieterl

Apr 22, 2014
Anyone try SCUMMVM? I've never tried it on Android, but I'd assume it would be optimized for touch devices. Would be quite awesome to get some old school adventure games on the Fire TV.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Retroarch can be gotten directly from the Play Store when on Fire TV.

This is the first time you see me praising Retroarch since I hate the god-awful controls/lack of proper input mapping such as rewind and fastforward mappings as well as not having console specific mappings to make things easier,but,SNES9x Next with the retropad overlay for quick fastforward plus the Retroarch exclusive ->rewind<- access and the shader on 1pass 4xBR using 4x resolution makes the perfect combination!

Is there any way to use cheats on Retroarch?
If not,then please add it,developers of Retroarch.
At least on the lower systems like NES,SNES,Genesis.
I still really wish there was another N64 Core to choose from like 1964 or Daedalus.

heyredy141

Aug 28, 2010
Vancouver, BC
My biggest reason for buying this was using it for emulation and I've tried countless different emulators for NES, SNES and Sega and the three I've found these three to work the best. The menus, the layout, gamepad detection and compatibility (xbox360) all work the best with it.

I did pay for all of these because they work flawlessly, Robert offers free versions as well so you can try them out.

PSX:
FPse
For the 360 pad, the triggers don't work and the back/start buttons are tied to the emulator menu and can't change them. Developer is currently working on the triggers as of last weekend when I emailed him about them being buggy.[update 7-27-2014] Still no update or email from developer. Issue still present.

ePSXe
1.9.20 was sent to me by the developer to test the triggers for the X360 gamepad and have confirmed they work. Start button is tied to emulator menu. Not that big an issue since you can just set start button to an analog click. Everything seems to be in working order.

Is there a way to have the roms on windows network drive and access them on fire TV?

lilcza1

Aug 14, 2007
Newest Custom Version of RetroArch

This is the best variation of RetroArch Available. Its a custom build that has more cores and more functions than the Google play store version.
My only issue is that my controller configuration with my DS4 controller will not save or stick for any reason. Maybe you guys can figure it out.

http://page3.yunfile.com/fs/1Craim2so3nR7ai0nde4/

Also Drastic (Nintendo DS EMU) Works FANTASTIC!

Also shoutout to the guy that talked about OpenBOR. Im freaking loving that game app! I've even been playing 2 players with Tincore Keymapper.

Here's the newest compiled file for OpenBOR (V.4074) with PS3 Button mapping to select items from the main menu below

Attachments

• OpenBOR-4074.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Ask Qualcomm to fix their shiddy processors so Dolphin can actually run on it.
I went between versions that crash immediately before the menu,and the emucr builds that open,but never start the game.
Instead,you get a grey screen until exiting the app.

I did manage to get one ancient version to almost start while the touch controls even appeared.
It may have actually started running the game,but with the black screen issue known to be caused by Qualcomm.

I just cannot find the OpenGL 2.0 ARM build of Dolphin to test on a Linux Distro inside VNC.
I really wished they ported the version with OpenGL 2.0 to Android instead.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PSX:
    FPse

ePSXe
    Any suggestions for Nintendo 64? I'd love one more crack at Goldeneye. :good:
    The original Mupen64Plus AE or CoolN64 should be what you're looking for.

Too bad the original seldom updates nowadays.
    We are waiting on either the developer Paul,or anyone else that is capable of compiling a build with the much needed fixes like Banjo-Tooie and plugin updates.

Maybe someone can ask the CoolN64 developer to add the patches that fix Banjo-Tooie and the DelaySI function as well.
    Or anyone here that is source code mod savvy could make a modded version with fixes and other changes.

Why has DK64 never been fixed for Mupen64Plus AE when Wii64 (mupen64/plus port) could actually run it with collisions and level loaders intact?
    I run all my roms off Micro SD on my new Fire TV. They've made it very easy and painless.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Here are the emulators I have tested on my unrooted 2nd-Gen Fire TV and Amazon Fire Game Controller.

Working Perfectly:
    MAME4droid
    Snes9x EX+
    PPSSPP
    Nostalgia.NES
    MD.emu
    reicast
    PCE.emu
    My Boy!

Runs, But with Issues:
    ePSXe: I'm using v1.9.39 and selecting Preferences crashes the app, so there's no way for me to remap the Amazon controller to have a Start button.

drastic DS: Runs, but can't get past menu screen because I couldn't select with controller or remote.
    epsxe 1.9.40 seems to be working perfectly, no preference screen crashes! Also I'm loving NES.emu - not sure if it's better than nostalgia.nes but I've had no issues with it so far.