Ask a question

No registration required

External DVD possibility

OP drewb0y

10th November 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
I have seen elsewhere on the net that the Samsung SE-218BB external USB DVD drive has android compatibility, as well as the newer model SE-218CB. I'm wondering if it will also be compatible with the Fire TV as it is android based.

I just got my FTV and have ClockWork Mod custom recovery 6.0.5.1.4a and latest rooted custom ROM (51.1.4.0_514006420 updated) on it. The general plan was to use this to completely replace my current HTPC setup. If I were able to play DVD's using XBMC that would be perfect. Has anyone tried this? Does the android port of XBMC still have the DVD support in it even, or has it been removed?

It's not a huge loss if it does not work, but it would be nice to have it do everything instead of still needing a traditional DVD player.

They are available at a local retailer for only 29.99, so I may just pick one up and try it out. If it doesn't work, I can just return it I guess. I will report my findings later.
11th November 2014, 11:58 AM   |  #2  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 31

178 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewb0y

I have seen elsewhere on the net that the Samsung SE-218BB external USB DVD drive has android compatibility, as well as the newer model SE-218CB. I'm wondering if it will also be compatible with the Fire TV as it is android based.

I just got my FTV and have ClockWork Mod custom recovery 6.0.5.1.4a and latest rooted custom ROM (51.1.4.0_514006420 updated) on it. The general plan was to use this to completely replace my current HTPC setup. If I were able to play DVD's using XBMC that would be perfect. Has anyone tried this? Does the android port of XBMC still have the DVD support in it even, or has it been removed?

It's not a huge loss if it does not work, but it would be nice to have it do everything instead of still needing a traditional DVD player.

They are available at a local retailer for only 29.99, so I may just pick one up and try it out. If it doesn't work, I can just return it I guess. I will report my findings later.

My guess is that if you plug it into the AFTV, and mount it, you should have no problem accessing it. As for XMBC playing them, i don't see why not as long as the DVD gets mounted. Too bad you didn't ask a week ago, I had an LG drive just like that here, I could of tried it out.
11th November 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Any updates on that? I am additionally interested in playing media from an external blueray player ...

Thanks,
Jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyder

My guess is that if you plug it into the AFTV, and mount it, you should have no problem accessing it. As for XMBC playing them, i don't see why not as long as the DVD gets mounted. Too bad you didn't ask a week ago, I had an LG drive just like that here, I could of tried it out.

29th December 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

80 posts
I have similar need as well. I own a generic USB DVD player. It would be great if I can plug it into Fire TV to play CD or DVD.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread