FORUMS

Hauwei’s Rapid Rise to Third Place in the Smartphone Race

Huawei has quickly grown to become one of the world’s biggest … more

OnePlus 2 Bares All in New Tear Down Gallery

Last year, the launch of the OnePlus One, dubbed ‘the flagship killer’, visibly … more

Focus – An Attractive But Raw Gallery Replacement

Focus is an attractive new app built by XDA members Liam Spradlin … more

How to Root the LG G4 and Install TWRP Recovery – XDA TV

A rooting method has finally been found for the flagship LG G4. In this … more

let's figure out a way to choose a wireless network connection over a wired one

42 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I've searched everywhere online, and it seems that the only way to do this is to remove the ethernet cable from either the router/switch/ATV.

can anyone think of any ideas to get around this? it probably won't work, but I'm downloading different network manager apps in the hopes that it would allow me to just this. I have a feeling that this won't work, but it's worth a shot.

6th April 2015, 01:06 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterslaps

I've searched everywhere online, and it seems that the only way to do this is to remove the ethernet cable from either the router/switch/ATV.

can anyone think of any ideas to get around this? it probably won't work, but I'm downloading different network manager apps in the hopes that it would allow me to just this. I have a feeling that this won't work, but it's worth a shot.

why do you wan't to use wireless connection over wired? do u have tried to also connect to wifi while connected wired?
if it's because app only use wifi and you are rooted and have xposed installed u might use the fake wifi module

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...ction-t2800416

installed via xposed. works like charm for me...
6th April 2015, 03:36 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 208

Donate to Me
More
The best connection is always the connection that gets used. A wifi connection is not as stable of as powerful as an ethernet connection and thats why computers always use the ethernet connection over the wifi connection. If you wanna use wifi, disconnect the ethernet cable. Its the same with mobile devices, if you have your mobile data on and wifi on, it will more than likely pick the wifi connection, cause wifi is usually better than mobile data. My mobile data never ever kicks on over my wifi connection.
6th April 2015, 05:08 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterslaps

As others have said, wired is preferred over wireless for multitude of reasons. But, if you do want to use Wifi when you have an ethernet cable hooked into FTV, you can use this from adb shell:

To bring down your wired network card: busybox ifconfig eth0 down
To bring back up: busybox ifconfig eth0 up

Once you bring down your wired connection, you should be able to navigate to your wireless settings on FTV and go wifi without physically disconnecting your wired cable.

This will not persist across reboots. You will need to include appropriate code in your startup script to make that happen.
Last edited by dbdoshi; 6th April 2015 at 05:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbdoshi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2015, 12:51 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
thanks everyone! I'm going to try all of these after I eat.

I agree, a wired connection is without a doubt better and preferable. However, the building I live in only offers a free wifi connection that is installed throughout the building. I'll be looking to see if I can get my own internet connection soon.

When I have the AFTV connected through ethernet, and I want to SSH, or ADB into the AFTV from my computer, I cannot for some reason. I figured it would work since the wifi and wired connections are technically the same network, right? I also can't use any remote apps from my phone since the phone is on wireless.

I usually disconnect the ethernet cord, and create a wifi connection from my macbook, or tether my connection from my phone and connect my laptop and ATV to that network. I'm just looking for a way to be able to do all of this without having to get up and take out the ethernet cord everytime. It's not that I'm lazy, I just have this external fixation on my leg from an injury.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11115986_10153201209689738_1479027999_n.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	3249107  
Last edited by shutterslaps; 7th April 2015 at 01:48 AM.
7th April 2015, 01:22 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Xfinity app
I used the xfinity app to stream cable on my aftv... I got tired of buffering so switches to ethernet.. The app thinks im out of my wireless network... Can we spoof wifi on this like some of the old apps for jailbroken iphones or in xposed? . I too want to trick my box into thinking ethernet is wifi so xfinity wont think im not on my network...
7th April 2015, 04:50 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
so let me see if i have this right:

1) you want AFTV to use wireless for internet
2) you want AFTV to use wired for administration/etc

if so --- setup wireless as usual, let it dhcp and do its thing....and setup your WIRED manually leaving the default gateway blank or unconfigured. This will force all traffic bound for hosts not available via wired interface to the WLAN (and the internet).

since the AFTV and your laptop/etc are wired and on the same subnet, they don't need to be routed to communicate and they will work fine. Any other traffic need to be routed, and the only outbound route your AFTV will know is via the wireless interface.

for example:
AFTV wireless: 192.168.0.10, gateway 192.168.0.1 (or whatever dhcp gives you)
AFTV ethernet: 10.10.10.1 gateway (blank)

Laptop wireless: 192.168.0.11, gateway 192.168.0.1 (or whatever dhcp gives you)
laptop ethernet: 10.10.10.2 gateway (blank)

you can then use the 10.10.10.x addresses via ethernet to communicate via local ethernet without disturbing the default internet route and internet access.
Last edited by mattvirus; 7th April 2015 at 04:54 AM.
8th April 2015, 05:53 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvirus

so let me see if i have this right:

1) you want AFTV to use wireless for internet
2) you want AFTV to use wired for administration/etc

if so --- setup wireless as usual, let it dhcp and do its thing....and setup your WIRED manually leaving the default gateway blank or unconfigured. This will force all traffic bound for hosts not available via wired interface to the WLAN (and the internet).

since the AFTV and your laptop/etc are wired and on the same subnet, they don't need to be routed to communicate and they will work fine. Any other traffic need to be routed, and the only outbound route your AFTV will know is via the wireless interface.

for example:
AFTV wireless: 192.168.0.10, gateway 192.168.0.1 (or whatever dhcp gives you)
AFTV ethernet: 10.10.10.1 gateway (blank)

Laptop wireless: 192.168.0.11, gateway 192.168.0.1 (or whatever dhcp gives you)
laptop ethernet: 10.10.10.2 gateway (blank)

you can then use the 10.10.10.x addresses via ethernet to communicate via local ethernet without disturbing the default internet route and internet access.

it's actually the other way around.
1) I want AFTV to use wired for internet
2) I want AFTV to use wireless for administration/etc

I can't ssh/adb/etc without taking the ethernet cord out and connecting the AFTV and laptop to the same wireless network. I was hoping for a way to shut down the ethernet connection, so I can connect over wifi without taking out the ethernet cord. The AFTV won't let you connect to a wireless network if the ethernet cord is plugged in and connected.

I actually figured out a way to do what I need without taking out the ethernet cord.
What I do is:
1) SETTINGS (not the one that came with the AFTV, it's a settings.apk I installed)
2) under WIRELESS & NETWORKS click 'More...'
3) TETHERING & PORTABLE HOTSPOT
4) CONFIGURE WI-FI HOTSPOT
5) activate the hotspot and connect to that network from the laptop
9th April 2015, 07:47 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoshi

As others have said, wired is preferred over wireless for multitude of reasons. But, if you do want to use Wifi when you have an ethernet cable hooked into FTV, you can use this from adb shell:

To bring down your wired network card: busybox ifconfig eth0 down
To bring back up: busybox ifconfig eth0 up

Once you bring down your wired connection, you should be able to navigate to your wireless settings on FTV and go wifi without physically disconnecting your wired cable.

This will not persist across reboots. You will need to include appropriate code in your startup script to make that happen.

just gave that a try. now I have two methods to achieve what I looking to do. appreciate it!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread