Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Thoughts on Fire Tv with XBMC?

OP DHeffernan

10th September 2014, 08:33 PM   |  #91  
Thanks Meter: 63

370 posts
Related question: am I the only one that cannot "deliver" the SPMC app to the FireTV from the Amazon Appstore? I did side-load it, but if I could properly install it from the store I would get a shortcut in "My apps".
I keep running into these situations...for the longest time I could not install YouTube (blue) and after NOT changing anything, I was able to install it...go figure.

Worst part is that sometimes I cannot install from the device - even some Free apps, as I get the geo restriction kicking in. That is with an Amazon.com account, VPN into US, etc. YouTube blue is again an example...while FireTube worked fine to install from the device.
10th September 2014, 09:22 PM   |  #92  
Thanks Meter: 17

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipse_Tase

Related question: am I the only one that cannot "deliver" the SPMC app to the FireTV from the Amazon Appstore? I did side-load it, but if I could properly install it from the store I would get a shortcut in "My apps".
I keep running into these situations...for the longest time I could not install YouTube (blue) and after NOT changing anything, I was able to install it...go figure.

Worst part is that sometimes I cannot install from the device - even some Free apps, as I get the geo restriction kicking in. That is with an Amazon.com account, VPN into US, etc. YouTube blue is again an example...while FireTube worked fine to install from the device.

I too cannot install SPMC to my FireTV - I just went to Amazon's website and it says that SPMC is not compatible with my FireTV.

My FireTV is not rooted and is running the latest firmware - so either it only works with older firmwares, or they previously allowed it for install but don't do that anymore.

Either way it's really annoying - I can't wait until Android TV launches so I can stop using this thing and switch to something that can use XBMC without a million workarounds and hacks.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFish

The fixes work flawlessly and were very simple to implement. They're not annoying at all and only require an initial setup to work.

SPMC is XBMC. That's the point. It's Gotham 13.3.2 that has been tweaked specifically for FireTV. It's available from the App store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pax.spmc&hl=en So there's no ADB loading required, and it stays in the FireTV Home menu like any other app.

Video priority is dependent on both the device and the app. Some apps will completely close when you hit the Home button. Others will not. XBMC does not close itself when you hit the Home button. Many other apps operate in the same manner. This is the first I've ever heard anyone even mention this, let alone complain about it.

There's also instructions on this forum to set a sleep timer for XBMC to make it completely sleep. Although with a tiny 13watt device, it's really not that big of a deal.

You should check out SPMC though, it will solve many of your annoyances.

1) I find them annoying. You might not find them annoying but I do, so try to keep in mind that not everyone thinks exactly like you do.

2) Amazon's website says that SPMC is not compatible with my FireTV and won't let me install it. So, no SPMC is not even an option for me at present. My FTV is running the latest firmware, so either it only works with older firmwares or they discontinued SPMC installs for whatever reason. Either way, it's a no go without sideloading for me, and at that point why would I bother since I already have XBMC sideloaded?

3) While it may only be a 13 watt device I do not like the idea of it remaining on when unused. I don't like the idea of wasting that power for absolutely no reason. My power bill is already barely within the scope of my budget, so having my FTV go to sleep might only save me a buck a month, but that still matters to me. Plus, letting it sleep and cool down is better for the longevity of the hardware. And frankly, I'm a pretty "green" person. While 13w might not be a ton of pollution for one house, if everyone had an FTV that never slept it adds up - I don't want to contribute to that. It can sleep, so I see no reason why it shouldn't.

I will configure the sleep timer on it, I was unaware that such a function existed - I find it somewhat baffling that it would not be enabled by default, but even then, I still feel that the app should recognize when it's been backgrounded and allow another app to claim the video stack if desired. It doesn't have to immediately kill its video when backgrounded, but it should implement whatever it needs to so that it can gracefully terminate if another video app wants to start streaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to illuminerdi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 09:30 PM   |  #93  
Thanks Meter: 10

30 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipse_Tase

Is it rooted? If so, install Market Helper: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2146216

That will open up the Appstore to include all kinds of awesomeness. Including SPMC and much much more.
10th September 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #94  
Thanks Meter: 63

370 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFish

Is it rooted? If so, install Market Helper: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2146216

That will open up the Appstore to include all kinds of awesomeness. Including SPMC and much much more.

That is for the Google Play store, not the Amazon one. Therefore the app will still not show in "My App" list - I assume....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread